Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

On the Grass

I admit I am getting old and progressively out of touch with "da yoof" (by which I mean the under 35s), and I know language evolves, but when did "the training pitch" get usurped by "the grass". Seems that all our coaching sessions, returns from injuries etc. now take place "on the grass", or is that we are now using medicinal marijuana to aid players' recovery?

Any other modern football terminology that gets on your goat?

Comments

• Options
    "We go again". 
  • Options
    It's all gone downhill since "We set our stall out"
  • Options
    Top bins
  • Options
    All of the above make my teeth itch…
  • Options
    Worldy
  • Options
    Its just easier for a manager to say "on the grass" so you know how a players recover is going 

There are different stages off recovery to every injury, from gym work alone, to back on the grass and other stages.

So if someone asks a manager how a players recovery is going rather than the broad term of he is training which could mean anything, he says he is back on the grass and it is a bit more positive 
  • Options
    early doors on the green
  • Options
    Group
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Its just easier for a manager to say "on the grass" so you know how a players recover is going 

There are different stages off recovery to every injury, from gym work alone, to back on the grass and other stages.

So if someone asks a manager how a players recovery is going rather than the broad term of he is training which could mean anything, he says he is back on the grass and it is a bit more positive 
    So surely you just say, "he's running in the gym" or "he's out running on the training pitch"? In fact, saying "on the grass" is less specific as he could be at home mowing his lawn or in a field worrying some sheep for all we know.
    I think 99% of fans know what the manager means when he says he is "on the grass" and that is alot easier to say than "he's out running on the training pitch" 
  • Options

So surely you just say, "he's running in the gym" or "he's out running on the training pitch"? In fact, saying "on the grass" is less specific as he could be at home mowing his lawn or in a field worrying some sheep for all we know.
    I think 99% of fans know what the manager means when he says he is "on the grass" and that is alot easier to say than "he's out running on the training pitch" 
    As I said in a post a few weeks back "I reckon it's a word he's picked up along the way & throws it in whenever he can much like "on the grass". I've never heard that phrase as much in my whole life as I have the last few weeks. Maybe I've led a sheltered life "
  • Options

And I think it makes 99% of fans teeth itch. It’s a shit vacuous phrase, up there with “we go again” and it’s use is lazy. 
  • Options
    Fuck me is the season over already?
  • Options
    Fuck me is the season over already?
    Pretty much…
  • Options
    I’ve never heard “on the grass” in my life.
  • Options
    Nor me
  • Options
    From a time when skill, intelligence and effort are OK words, but organisation is not ... and as for the fellow in Birmingham who writes about flair - he can shove it up his arse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k61P-d6Taf8 
  • Options
     minutes, low block, high press - used to be - fitness, sitting deep and closing down 
  • Options
    'Rapid' jars on me. 'Fast' is a much nicer, simpler word.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    the one I most hate is Group. What is wrong with squad? 
  • Options
    Everytime I hear back on grass I think they are some kind of livestock 
  • Options
    Appleton and Andy Scott have used it in almost every interview they have done at Charlton. Quote from the OS today:

Asked for the latest on Camará, Appleton said: “He has been on the grass with the [sports science] lads doing some ball work." 
  • Options
    The way midfield positions are now talked about with a number, as if the positions had always been defined by that number.

10 - goalscoring, highly creative midfielder
    8 - the box to box midfielder
    6 - the holding, defensive midfielder

"Declan Rice been playing as a 6, but I think long term he will play as an 8."
    Yes, especially as, imo, a 6 was traditionally a centre back and 4 would be a defensive midfielder (although I must admit I do use "10" but kind of hate myself for doing it!).
  • Options
    There are so  many terms that seem to have crept into the game that didn't exist. Many of them mentioned above and some new created bollocks such as "on the grass".

Im surprised no-one has mentioned the false 9.

I played football for 25 years and couldn't tell you what a 9 was supposed to do anyway, false or true. 

• Options
    redman said:
    the one I most hate is Group. What is wrong with squad? 

And team.
  • Options

"Hope I die before I get old"
  • Options
    Amateur wanna be coachy types describing good players as being 'decent' has always made my skin crawl. They all seem to deliver this phrase with a super serious look on their faces as if they've just discovered the lasting solution to Middle East conflict just to add to the annoyance.