Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Any heating/thermostat engineers on here ?? - Need help with non-functioning thermostat

Hi guys & gals 

I moved into my new property last week and now the cold snap has arrived I wanted to put on the heating on. Problem is the wall mounted thermostat is not working. I think it got knocked in the move & wires have come loose - although I'm not sure if that is the problem or something else. Thermostat box looks dead to me but it could just be a simple wiring job (and I mean simple - inside the box are 6 bare wires (like fuse wires) and 3 of them were loose. I thought when I first looked that the stat was "dead" as there were no lights on & instrument panel showing nothing and so I thought there was another way of turning on the heating, but doesn't look like it. 

The boiler was serviced before we moved in so no issues there, and I can't seem to operate the heating from the boiler (last property you could just switch hot water & heating from boiler controls). No good asking me to do this or that as I'm not mechanically minded and boiler has no controls to over-ride the thermostat.

Could do with a recommended heating engineer or someone who knows what to do. 

many thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Can you put up a photo on the unit and one of the inside with the wires?
  • Options
    Ditto, stick up a photo of the thermostat wiring, boiler and control wiring.

is it a system boiler or combi?
  • Options
    In a 6 wire system it’s usually:

permanent live
    permanent neutral
    heating on
    water on
    heating off
    water off

photo required!
  • Options
    Won’t pretend to know about this sort of thing but if you’ve just moved in, could it be something simple like the boiler thermostat not connecting to a new Wi-Fi router (if you’ve set a new one up)?
    We had an issue that turned out to be related to Wi-Fi connectivity. 
  • Options
    Don't worry, I'm an idiot.

Just ran downstairs to take pictures of thermo & saw a new silvery box on the landing.

All space age looking with digital readings. No idea how it works but will turn a few dials & see how it goes.

Thanks for the replies guys but as I said, I thought the other box was defunct.....and it is.

Feel free to shut this thread down. 
  • Options
    Do we have heat?
  • Options
    They'd have had to have had a working thermostat to service the boiler.
  • Options
    Don't worry, I'm an idiot.

Just ran downstairs to take pictures of thermo & saw a new silvery box on the landing.

All space age looking with digital readings. No idea how it works but will turn a few dials & see how it goes.

Thanks for the replies guys but as I said, I thought the other box was defunct.....and it is.

Feel free to shut this thread down. 
    Sounds like Hive ?
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Do we have heat?
    Very much so. 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Good stuff, is it a Hive?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Knowing Golfie it's a swarm!
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    No bloody idea 😄
  • Options
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Do we have heat?
    Golfie's very happy. Temperature has gone from minus one to plus one. 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Do we have heat?
    Golfie's very happy. Temperature has gone from minus one to plus one. 
    From birdie to bogey.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Yep.....the one in the middle. 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Yep.....the one in the middle. 
    Ok, that's a hive then, you should have the box to the left near the boiler. The box to the right is the hub, in Hive's stupidity that's not transferable to a new owner, so if you want to use the app and be able to control whilst away from home you'll need to get a new hub.

You can use it stand alone although a bit more clunky for programming etc, I use it via the app and find it quite handy.

Be aware if the hub is still there and connects to the internet the old owner can control your heating!