Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Protecting our wildlife

2»

Comments

• Options
    Absolutely agree with protecting the environment. 
    But don’t seem to see anything being done about the amount of fly tipping that takes place and people fronting up to the fly tippers, mainly because they would get a punch on their nose. 
    So fly tipping does far more harm than using a hot wash using detergent.
    Just take a walk around Dartford heath to see the pollution. 
    I know it’s not as glamorous as beaches and whales but it’s is just as harmful. 
    Fly tipping is dreadful and there certainly should be tougher penalties and the will to tackle it. 
  • Options
    Watching Planet Earth right now, showing the effects of plastic on marine creatures.
  • Options
    It's clear that there are people who do need educating about the harm that the balloon releases can cause and if it came over as holier than I can't help that. 

I am repeatedly attacked by certain people on this forum. The moderators removed some of those comments and you may not have seen some of them, which were far more disrespectful than my comments.

Had it been anyone else pointing out what a bad idea it is to release 1000 balloons, none of those who did comment would have mentioned it. 

Its a shame that another thread is being derailed and not by me.

This is absolute rubbish. I’ve never seen anything like it on a thread on someone who has just passed away. ANYONE would and should have been called out on it, regardless of who posted (one could argue that no one else ever would, but I’m not going to do that).
  • Options
    You should see the RIP threads where people have made jokes...

I'm glad Planet Earth is back, television like that is worth the license fee.

It's a shame when threads get derailed.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Am always picking up plastic, fishing lines etc when washed up on the beach but i tend to avoid the condoms.
  • Options
    Can’t argue with any of the OP and I’m another who dislikes Halloween and would be more than happy if it didn’t exist.

I could make comment about the continual building of new housing that has a greater impact on wildlife than balloons or Halloween but that’s probably for the HOC thread.
  • Options

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Something about that labelling in that picture suggests that Degs doesn't know his arse from his elbow.
  • Options
    While the American version of Halloweens is beyond the pale it is not really their fault. It was the Irish and Scots that started it all with Samhain.  As usual, the Christians merely borrowed a festival from the pagans and claimed it as their own.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    It's clear that there are people who do need educating about the harm that the balloon releases can cause and if it came over as holier than I can't help that. 

I am repeatedly attacked by certain people on this forum. The moderators removed some of those comments and you may not have seen some of them, which were far more disrespectful than my comments.

Had it been anyone else pointing out what a bad idea it is to release 1000 balloons, none of those who did comment would have mentioned it. 

This is absolute rubbish. I’ve never seen anything like it on a thread on someone who has just passed away. ANYONE would and should have been called out on it, regardless of who posted (one could argue that no one else ever would, but I’m not going to do that).
    Latex balloons are the deadliest form of marine debris for seabirds.  They are 32 times more likely to kill than hard plastics when ingested. Balloons tied with ribbons and strings also rank just behind discarded fishing gear and plastic bags and utensils due to the high risk of entanglement and death that they pose to marine life.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

Latex balloons are the deadliest form of marine debris for seabirds.  They are 32 times more likely to kill than hard plastics when ingested. Balloons tied with ribbons and strings also rank just behind discarded fishing gear and plastic bags and utensils due to the high risk of entanglement and death that they pose to marine life.
    Jesus Christ…I know! You know. ME14 knows. Every adult with a brain cell knows about the dangers balloons pose to wildlife. But that wasn’t the point and I’m sure you know that too.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    JaShea99 said:

Jesus Christ…I know! You know. ME14 knows. Every adult with a brain cell knows about the dangers balloons pose to wildlife. But that wasn’t the point and I’m sure you know that too.
    Quite clearly your statement that everyone with a brain cell knows that balloon releases harm the environment isn't correct, as there wouldn't have been a plan to release 1000 of them. 
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    JaShea99 said:

Quite clearly your statement that everyone with a brain cell knows that balloon releases harm the environment isn't correct, as there wouldn't have been a plan to release 1000 of them. 
    How on earth does that prove it isn’t correct? Everyone knows smoking is harmful. Does that mean no one smokes?
  • Options
    I often go to christenings and explain to all present just how much damage their offspring will do to the planet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2023
    JaShea99 said:
    JaShea99 said:
    JaShea99 said:

How on earth does that prove it isn’t correct? Everyone knows smoking is harmful. Does that mean no one smokes?
    If someone knows that the balloon they release is harmful to wildlife, then they are guilty of wanton destruction to many animals.   Smokers are harming themselves. 
  • Options
    Again, no one is disputing that. It still doesn’t make it the right place to have done it when someone has died. 
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    JaShea99 said:

I think it's to let it go. You've made your point.
  • Options
    What’s to let it go? I feel the point has been made by countless posters yet missed (maybe deliberately) time and time again.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    MrWalker said:
    I often go to christenings and explain to all present just how much damage their offspring will do to the planet.
    Too late then. You should hang about at the conception.
    Oh I do and I have a great collection of videos if you need proof.
  • Options
    Right so Halloween is now over, thank goodness. So can everyone please get their spider webs (aka bird, bat and insect traps) down ASAP. 
    Also please now take pumpkins away where animals can get to them. They are NOT good for the health of certain animals. I suspect they also attract rats.
  • Options
    I sit just me and have I noticed the players drinking more from single use water bottles during the game. I had always more noticed re-useable ones before. Perhaps it's just me noticing. Either way it seems totally unnecessary. Also begs the question what they do in training. Anyone know? 
  • Options
    redman said:
    I sit just me and have I noticed the players drinking more from single use water bottles during the game. I had always more noticed re-useable ones before. Perhaps it's just me noticing. Either way it seems totally unnecessary. Also begs the question what they do in training. Anyone know? 
    Can't say I've noticed, but I wouldn't be surprised. TBH if I was a player I wouldn't want to guzzle from a nipple that's been in my sweaty team mate's mouth, I'd want a bottle of my own. In the post-covid era, clubs might decide that they are less willing to risk viral infections in this way.