Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stroll to The Valley for the Cambridge match [9/12/23] & claim a free ticket

On Saturday 9th December, Charlton Athletic men’s first team will play Cambridge United at home in this season’s Greener Game, a football match to promote environmental awareness.  

The Stroll To The Stadium is a walk to The Valley, home of CAFC, encouraging Charlton fans and walkers to engage in active travel - leaving the car behind and picking up a healthy habit instead. 

We’ll be walking from Eltham, through Woolwich Common to Charlton, arriving at The Valley an hour before kickoff, giving you time to browse the Christmas market stalls, grab a bite and find your seat. 

You can join the walk at any of the following stops: 

11:45am: Start at Tudor Barn Eltham SE9 6SZ 

12:30pm: Severndroog Tea Room SE18 3RT 

1:15pm: Charlton Lido SE18 4LX 

1:45pm: Charlton House SE7 8RE 

2:00pm: Terminating at The Valley SE7 8BL 

At Charlton Lido, we will have a toilet stop and refreshments break, with teas, coffees and mince pies. 

Anyone coming on the walk can get a free ticket to the game, but you must register by the 30th November by emailing Walks Coordinator Robin on robin.sneddon@cact.org.uk.  

Football fan or not, come along for this special walk. Everyone of all ages is welcome to join, including children providing they are accompanied by a responsible adult.  

See you there! 

The Stroll To The Stadium is organised by Greenwich Get Walking, commissioned by the Royal Borough of Greenwich and Ramblers Wellbeing Walks.  

Comments

• Options
    Nigel would have enjoyed that if he was still our manager 
  • Options
    Christmas market??
  • Options
    Who drives to matches from Charlton House?
  • Options
    Nice idea. 
  • Options
    Very nice idea. We do have a lot of lovely walks on our doorstep.  
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Very nice idea. We do have a lot of lovely walks on our doorstep.  
    Green Chain.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pee stop at the Lido…one way of filling the pool 🥸
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Pee stop at the Lido…one way of filling the pool 🥸
    Think you will find that’s yellow, rather than green…
  • Options
    What a lovely idea. I often walk to the Valley and back from home in Penge. About a 15 mile round trip.

I am also planning on walking from our away game at Northampton on March 2nd to our game at Cheltenham on the 5th. A lovely, scenic route of about 60 odd miles.
    Love this. Nice one 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Great idea, but terminating at the valley is a bit harsh, sounds like the Daleks have taken over. 
  • Options
    Great idea, but since when is there a Xmas Market at The Valley ? Probably want to start promoting that !
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Not sure I'll be walking the wrong way from my house to then walk to the Valley from further away but like the idea. 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    clive said:

You can join the walk at any of the following stops: 

11:45am: Start at Tudor Barn Eltham SE9 6SZ 

12:30pm: Severndroog Tea Room SE18 3RT 

1:15pm: Charlton Lido SE18 4LX 

1:45pm: Charlton House SE7 8RE 

1:55pm stop by the corner of Floyd Road/Ransom Walk and pick up the latest issue of MODMAG SE7 8BL 

2:00pm: Terminating at The Valley SE7 8BL

Edited it for you
  • Options
    Has anyone had a reply to their email about this ? I'm still waiting to hear back. I'd like to take part but it's radio silence thus far.
  • Options
    Stroll to The Valley . 

Trust none of our players think this is an instruction for them to have a stroll around during the match.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Has anyone had a reply to their email about this ? I'm still waiting to hear back. I'd like to take part but it's radio silence thus far.
    I got a reply a day or two after I enquired (20th Nov) and another email earlier today asking what point we'd be joining the walk.

Might be worth emailing again or forwarding your original email.
  • Options
    Mr. Happy said:
    I got a reply a day or two after I enquired (20th Nov) and another email earlier today asking what point we'd be joining the walk.

Might be worth emailing again or forwarding your original email.
    Cheers. I got a reply late yesterday afternoon. I was told it had proved more popular than  expected and they were awaiting extra tickets to be given. 
  • Options
    If North Greenwich better suits your travel plans, you can walk from there with CAST treasurer Nigel Kleinfeld:

https://www.castrust.org/2023/11/walk-to-the-valley-from-north-greenwich-on-december-9th/
  • Options

Supporters can enjoy a Christmas market at The Valley on Saturday ahead of the Addicks’ Sky Bet League One clash with Cambridge United.

Gourmet hot chocolate, barista-style coffee, mince pies and mulled wine will all be on offer in the West Stand car park outside the stadium.

The Christmas market will be part of special Greener Game-themed fan zone this weekend.

• More than 70 supporters taking part in Charlton Athletic Community Trust’s walk which starts at Eltham and goes to The Valley
    • An organised walk to the game from North Greenwich underground station that has been coordinated by Charlton Athletic Supporters’ Trust. Click here to join the walk
    https://www.charltonafc.com/news/enjoy-christmas-market-se7-saturday
  • Options
    MODMAG will be on sale when you get to the ground and will be cash or card 

Hope to see some of you on arrival 
  • Options
    What a lovely idea. I often walk to the Valley and back from home in Penge. About a 15 mile round trip.

I am also planning on walking from our away game at Northampton on March 2nd to our game at Cheltenham on the 5th. A lovely, scenic route of about 60 odd miles.
    9 goals , have you always lived in Penge?
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Hello mate. No, but I've lived here a long time now, since 2003. 
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Hello mate. No, but I've lived here a long time now, since 2003. 
    Sorry to hear that.
    Only joking.
    Was born and went to primary school in Penge.
    In fact our back garden backed onto the school playground.