Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Barnsley kicked out of the FA Cup

2»

Comments

• Options
    BalladMan said:
    To be fair to Barnsley, they have apologised, and won't be appealing. Unlike some Premier league clubs who appeal everything.
    Fair enough, but they knew the rules and tried it on and got caught, so good luck Horsham in the 2nd round at Sutton...
    Did they try it on or was it incompetence or a mistake.   They won't be the last team to fall foul of fairly obscure rules (must have been eligible for original tie), especially in the lower leagues.  
    It's not really an obscure rule though is it, it's a fairly obvious one that most people probably know, and certainly the club secretary of a professional football club should know.

If a player isn't eligible for the first game, he isn't allowed to play in the replay.
  • Options
    So Barnsley & the eventual FA cup winners unbeaten in the competition, this season.
    that will make a great pub quiz question 
  • Options
    It can be complicated.  I am sure there was a case in one of the cups in recent season where a club was kicked out because they played someone who was ineligible on the original date for a postponed game - but was ok for the re-arranged date and no-one realised the rule applied to a postponed fixture too
  • Options
    BalladMan said:
    To be fair to Barnsley, they have apologised, and won't be appealing. Unlike some Premier league clubs who appeal everything.
    Fair enough, but they knew the rules and tried it on and got caught, so good luck Horsham in the 2nd round at Sutton...
    Did they try it on or was it incompetence or a mistake.   They won't be the last team to fall foul of fairly obscure rules (must have been eligible for original tie), especially in the lower leagues.  
    I don't suppose they will be the last to fall to these rules, but they are incompetent at least in "not knowing the rules"...this is a professional club we are talking about, ignorance is no defence...they knew...
    Nobody is defending them, just pointing out that it wasn't a deliberate attempt to cheat, but an admin error. 

If the player had been recalled from his loan before the original tie vs Horsham it would have been fine, and I imagine that everyone assumed that had happened without double checking.
  • Options
    We have previous as well when we was kicked out of the FA Youth Cup back in 1995/1996 after winning 4-1 away at Plymouth, we were found out to have played an ineligible player 
  • Options
    Nice surprise for Horsham though, I assume they will get the £41,000 First round prize money. They are getting £5000 from BBC for highlights, an will obviously get their share of the gate.  So north of £50,000 coming their way which wasn’t expect….
  • Options
    Let’s hope we follow a similar route in the BDSM Trophy 
  • Options
    I think Appleton was glad of it on Tuesday to get a game in for some players. It is a useful competition for blooding young players too, even if we are not that bothered about winning it or not.