Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why Is Our Away Form So Rubbish?

I know this seems odd, coming after a home win last night, but just wanted to ask the question why is the  away form in the league is so bad?

Im still raging that we couldn’t beat a team in the bottom 3 away from home.

You can’t really blame the fans, 1000 plus crowd up at Carlisle, and over 2000 fans away to Pompey is pretty decent, I think our away fans have done us proud,

But whatever division you are in, if you want to get out of it, one league away win by December is unacceptable.

Is it injuries, just poor team selections, or a weak mentality, given we have a lot of youngsters in the squad.

Would love to know why you think it just ain’t working in the league away from home, and how we can turn it around.

I asked one of my sons why he thought we weren’t very good away from home, he said he thought that the defence wasn’t good enough, and cracked too easy under pressure.

I can’t remember a season we were this bad away from home in the league, still at least we’re finally talking about football, rather than ownerships and takeovers!

Comments

• Options
    We definitely draw too many away. I think we ought to be better than we are away from the Valley. I think the problem is you sit back a little more away and defensively this doesn't suit us.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    If you can't keep a clean sheet, you won't win many away....
    This. We worked really hard to break down a stubborn Carlisle back 4. We do not have the quality to comfortably win away matches by scoring 3+ every game to guarantee winning matches, because we can’t keep a clean sheet.
  • Options
    We have too many players in the team who don't put in a shift defensively. 
  • Options
    We're not good enough defensively. 

We can't go to "grim northern places" and grind out scrappy 1-0 wins after playing poorly. 
  • Options
    As others have said, we can't keep a clean sheet for absolute toffee. Even against teams with practically zero attacking threat, like Carlisle and Cheltenham.
  • Options
    Yeah, not very good. 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Away games are tougher than home games. We’re a bang average mid table team where picking up points on the road will be a challenge. Big overhaul again in the summer is going to be needed regardless of who we might lose anyway. Miles off challenging for top six. 
  • Options
    Players like Louie Watson can’t handle the noise.

Solution: play midfielders who have been playing at this level for years and wonder why we’re not in the top 6.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Away games are tougher than home games. We’re a bang average mid table team where picking up points on the road will be a challenge. Big overhaul again in the summer is going to be needed regardless of who we might lose anyway. Miles off challenging for top six. 
    Also maybe the players don’t travel well as a unit.? Or the set up is wrong , leaving to late or early. Travel by Train or coach over night in hotel. Think what travel does to you as a person.
    Anyway 3 of our next 4 away games are local so all of above shouldn’t be the case.
    Unless someone lays the law down that players stay together overnight for pre Orient game? Barnsley is bleak at the best of times best not tell players that and cold in December.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    I know this seems odd, coming after a home win last night, but just wanted to ask the question why is the  away form in the league is so bad?

You can’t really blame the fans, 1000 plus crowd up at Carlisle, and over 2000 fans away to Pompey is pretty decent, I think our away fans have done us proud,

But whatever division you are in, if you want to get out of it, one league away win by December is unacceptable.

Is it injuries, just poor team selections, or a weak mentality, given we have a lot of youngsters in the squad.

Would love to know why you think it just ain’t working in the league away from home, and how we can turn it around.

I asked one of my sons why he thought we weren’t very good away from home, he said he thought that the defence wasn’t good enough, and cracked too easy under pressure.

I can’t remember a season we were this bad away from home in the league, still at least we’re finally talking about football, rather than ownerships and takeovers!
    Last 4 away games including the FA Cup resulted in 2 wins and 2 draws…

1 defeat and 2 draws in the 3 league games before those so basically only been beaten away from home once in the last 7 isn’t necessarily bad form 

#just saying 
  • Options

Last 4 away games including the FA Cup resulted in 2 wins and 2 draws…

1 defeat and 2 draws in the 3 league games before those so basically only been beaten away from home once in the last 7 isn’t necessarily bad form 

#just saying 
    1 win all season away in the league and a month now since that isn’t good enough if we want to make the play offs whatever spin is put on it.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    We have played less away games so far this season than everyone apart from two sides, but even if we were to win those extra games, we’d still be bottom half of the “away table”. Meanwhile we are fifth best at home so far.

Last season (Garner/Holden) we started really poorly away from home too and ended the year in 12th in the away table, 13th at home. The season before that (Adkins/Jackson) 14th away and 16th at home.

The season before that (Bowyer/Adkins) we ended up 3rd best (!!!) away from home and 16th at home.
  • Options
    Basically we can’t defend and I don’t just blame the keeper and defenders. Our midfield is powder puff particularly yesterdays and Saturdays starting 3.
  • Options
    Also maybe the players don’t travel well as a unit.? Or the set up is wrong , leaving to late or early. Travel by Train or coach over night in hotel. Think what travel does to you as a person.
    Anyway 3 of our next 4 away games are local so all of above shouldn’t be the case.
    Unless someone lays the law down that players stay together overnight for pre Orient game? Barnsley is bleak at the best of times best not tell players that and cold in December.
    Going Carlisle knocked the bollocks out of me.
    Took me 2 days to recover.

• Options
    Looks like the Kent ‘El Classico’ has gone south, still at least we’ve got Tuesday night to look forward to, albeit a home match.
  • Options
    It's probably because for a team of arseholes, we don't seem to collectively have any arsehole.
  • Options
    2 away wins in 12 in all competitions this season 
  • Options
    2 in 13 wouldn’t be the end of the world for me 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looks like the Kent ‘El Classico’ has gone south, still at least we’ve got Tuesday night to look forward to, albeit a home match.
    It’s away - and on Wednesday. If you mean the BDSM cup…
  • Options
    To answer the OP, because we are a very average 3rd division team
  • Options
    We're away to Reading. 
  • Options
    If it wasn't football and was a big punch up, we would be at the bottom of the league. We do have quality but we need more fight.
  • Options
    We're not good enough defensively. 

We can't go to "grim northern places" and grind out scrappy 1-0 wins after playing poorly. 
    Or grim southern places either.

We're mentally a bit weak, that doesn't help. And due to our defensive weaknesses as a team, we can't suffocate and frustrate the home side. 
  • Options
    Players are spineless. 

All of them bar maybe May. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Players are spineless. 

All of them bar maybe May. 
    Yep, May is who we need to build our team around. 

The kind of game where Dobson in particular really winds me up. I couldn't give two hoots about most of them, as they won't be around long enough. Dobson however, is our captain and highest capped player, he should be setting an example. I don't see a captain there. We are desperate for leaders, we only have one in May. 

No leadership in the middle, and no leaders at the back, it is why we show so many gutless performances. 
  • Options
    If you can’t keep clean sheets, you can forget our away form.
  • Options
    We're now down to the same limited forward options that saw us struggle at home and away under Holden. 

If our home form starts to suffer as a result, and our away form stays as is, then we are going to be in for a pretty awful second half of the season.