Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RIP Henry Kissinger

The controversial US statesman had died aged 100. RIP  

Comments

• Options
    No offence but it's Kissinger
  • Options
    No offence but it's Kissinger
    None taken - amended accordingly... 
  • Options
    100 years of pure living.  RIP
  • Options
    Mr K and Jean Kirkpatrick were very anti-English. 

• Options
    Big Statesman in his day. Said to have cried along with Nixon on the Presidents last night in office. 

RIP
  • Options
    Mr K and Jean Kirkpatrick were very anti-English. 

from the (previously banned) Falklands Play she was dining at the Argentinian Embassy the day The Falklands were invaded. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I always find if you have nothing nice to say it’s better not saying anything at all on such threads.
  • Options
    I always find if you have nothing nice to say it’s better not saying anything at all on such threads.
    Fair enough, Large. I won't say anything.   >:)
  • Options
    Major said:
    Fair enough, Large. I won't say anything.   >:)
    Me neither.
  • Options
    Kissinger liked (proper) football, and after attending a match over here sometime, he opined ‘How like the British to make profanity musical’.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    RIP to all his victims
    I wondered if I would regret opening this thread, and I didn't. Glad he is seen for what he was.

I wasn't a big Anthony Bourdain guy, but I'm sad he didn't live to celebrate this day.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Taken too late. Wealthy wicked men die in their beds at an old age.
  • Options
    It shouldn't be like that. If not for all the comments referring to what a "war criminal" he was, I wouldn't have known about it at all because here he was extremely highly regarded.
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    It shouldn't be like that. If not for all the comments referring to what a "war criminal" he was, I wouldn't have known about it at all because here he was extremely highly regarded.
    I won't get too deep into this: but Nixon and Kissenger "normalizing" relations with Communist China is one of the things that somewhat complicates their legacy. It is a good thing, and they did what a lot of others either wouldn't or couldn't.

Now, that does not make up for Loas, Cambodia, Vietnam, Chile, Iran, and so on. Not even a little bit. But it is noteworthy.

I also recently learned that Nixon went back to China after he was President just to like, hang out. I guess he like genuinely got on well with some of the CCP leaders, which is weird both because Dick Nixon could be a very offputting man, and because he was an old school red baiter. 

Anyway, I think there are people for whom the whole "if you don't have anything nice to say..." applies when they die. But my grandmother kvetching about how we didn't call her enough isn't really in the same league as one of (if not the) worst war criminals of the 20th century. That's the guy where you should remember him exactly for who he was. With my grandma, we tried to focus more on her excellent Matzo Ball soup recipe (and, weirdly enough, the fact that she was very pro-integration, but that's another story).