Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alistair Darling............RIP

edited November 2023 in Not Sports Related
Shock news that former Chancellor Alistair Darling has died

This is not a political thread, Very sad news and some big names going out on the last day of November.

RIP

Comments

• Options
    Only 70. Too young. RIP Alistair. 
  • Options
    RIP.

A bit strange to think that he was only 5 years older than Shane McGowan.
  • Options
    Sad news - RIP Alistair.
  • Options
    Rest Easy Alistair
  • Options
    Sad news indeed. RIP Alistair.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Decent man
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Really shocked to hear that, I always thought he was younger for some reason. 

RIP.
  • Options
    I liked him. Always seemed to me to be very competent and honest RIP Alistair.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Didn't realise he was as old as 70.

Always thought he was a steady, smart guy at a difficult time as Chancellor.

RIP.
  • Options
    Rip 

He was a great Chancellor and a man of integrity.
  • Options
    RIP seemed a decent politician in his day.
  • Options
    RIP

A decent man and decent politician 

Did a brilliant interview about when the Chairman and CEO of RBS went to see him the weekend that they asked the Government to bail the bank out - I think it was a Sunday - he asked them ‘how long until RBS goes bust’ - they said ‘24 hours, and then we have run out of cash’ - he was utterly stunned !!!!

How he and his team got the bail out done so quickly was masterful 
  • Options
    Widely lauded for playing a major role for the good during the world financial crash. RIP 
  • Options
    A highly competent Chancellor and politician and a really nice bloke by all accounts.

RIP
  • Options
    RIP. Nephew was a guard on door of Number 10 and said he was so nice to all staff, buying takeaways for them when he got one in, presents for their kids etc.  A good guy.
    I do like when you hear something like this about someone who doesn't shout out about it.
    Too many 'important' people forget the ordinary people they interact with

RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP.

A bit strange to think that he was only 5 years older than Shane McGowan.
    But looked twenty years younger. 
  • Options
    RIP

A decent man and decent politician 

Did a brilliant interview about when the Chairman and CEO of RBS went to see him the weekend that they asked the Government to bail the bank out - I think it was a Sunday - he asked them ‘how long until RBS goes bust’ - they said ‘24 hours, and then we have run out of cash’ - he was utterly stunned !!!!

How he and his team got the bail out done so quickly was masterful 
    I remember that documentary. It was absolutely fantastic. We have a family friend who was very senior at the bank of England at the time and is currently even more senior in the bank of England and he said he was the best chancellor he came across and handled the RBS issue fantastically with real leadership. 
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    In a parallel universe, Alistair Darling is the lead singer of The Pogues and Shane McGowan is chancellor of the exchequer. Imagine.
    No tax on alcohol. 
    I like it.
  • Options
    RIP. Very sad that this clever and principled man didn't have longer. 
  • Options
    RIP

Decent, principled, talented politicians such as AD show up the current and recent bunch of shitweasels for the no-marks they are. Sad times in all respects.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    RIP

Decent, principled, talented politicians such as AD show up the current and recent bunch of shitweasels for the no-marks they are. Sad times in all respects.
    Sums it up perfectly.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    RIP. A very decent and competent politician, who went quietly and efficiently about his business - a stark contrast to most of the current and recent holders of the high offices of state.
  • Options
    Widely lauded for playing a major role for the good during the world financial crash. RIP 

very ambiguous
  • Options
    RIP one of the good MPs