Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Telescopes - For viewing the Moon etc.

This has been listed as top of the pile by some. Probably more than I wanted to pay but suppose you get what you pay for.
Has good reviews.

The building I live in has a roof terrace/garden so, presents itself as a good viewing platform assuming it’s a fairly clear night.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B087QF46HP?tag=track-ect-uk-718988-21&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1&ascsubtag=ecSEP8e0ujlpmkkmn0

Anyone got one or recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2023
    No real recommendations, other than a knowledge that good optics cost more than young fish.  I know you said it's more than you wanted to pay, buy for someone who's spent a fortune on camera lenses over the years, £250 seems pretty cheap to me. It's a fascinating hobby though, I wish you luck whatever you choose.
  • Options
    @sillav nitram I have a telescope sitting in a box in my loft.  My Dad purchased it for me and him but our eyesights were going in the wrong direction.  Apart from assembling it, it has never been used.  Supposedly a good make and somewhat cheaper if you are interested.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    No real recommendations, other than a knowledge that good optics cost more than young fish.  I know you said it's more than you wanted to pay, buy for someone who's spent a fortune on camera lenses of the years, £250 seems, pretty cheap to me. It's a fascinating hobby though, I wish you luck whatever you choose.
    Agree Stig, probably isn’t that expensive in comparison. The cosmos has always fascinated me and this appears a good time to buy one.

I’ve spent 40 odd years working and creating photographic images and know how expensive a profession it can be!

I like the fact that it has a phone mount, I’d really enjoy trying to capture some images.

Thanks for your post.
  • Options
    Hex said:
    @sillav nitram I have a telescope sitting in a box in my loft.  My Dad purchased it for me and him but our eyesights were going in the wrong direction.  Apart from assembling it, it has never been used.  Supposedly a good make and somewhat cheaper if you are interested.
    I could be  @hex. Could you post some details and asking price, whereabouts are you?
  • Options
    Stig said:
    No real recommendations, other than a knowledge that good optics cost more than young fish.  I know you said it's more than you wanted to pay, buy for someone who's spent a fortune on camera lenses of the years, £250 seems, pretty cheap to me. It's a fascinating hobby though, I wish you luck whatever you choose.
    Agree Stig, probably isn’t that expensive in comparison. The cosmos has always fascinated me and this appears a good time to buy one.

I’ve spent 40 odd years working and creating photographic images and know how expensive a profession it can be!

I like the fact that it has a phone mount, I’d really enjoy trying to capture some images.

Thanks for your post.
    Maybe not the right place to say, but your photography is bloody excellent btw.  I'd love to see what you'd create with a telescope!  :)
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Stig said:

Thanks for your post.
    Maybe not the right place to say, but your photography is bloody excellent btw.  I'd love to see what you'd create with a telescope!  :)
    What a thoroughly decent thing to say  @johnnyBoyUK you've just made my day.

Thanks so much, really appreciated.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Stig said:

Thanks for your post.
    What a thoroughly decent thing to say  @johnnyBoyUK you've just made my day.

Thanks so much, really appreciated.
    You're most welcome.  Have a nice weekend!
  • Options
    Of course you're looking for something a lot more dearer I imagine but this camera is genuinely great.

Share once you find something mate
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Of course you're looking for something a lot more dearer I imagine but this camera is genuinely great.

Share once you find something mate
    Will do.
  • Options
    @sillav nitram  Sorry I didn't get a chance to reply yesterday.  I will venture into my loft this morning and get the details. 
  • Options
    On the subject of taking pictures of the cosmos, @sillav nitram, you should have bought my old house in Hextable.  My old neighbour has an observatory in his garden with a computer controlled telescope.  One picture is made up of 6 x 20 minute exposures.  A passing plane or cloud (or my garden light coming on) and you start again !  I will see if I can post one.
  • Options

• Options

• Options
    Jupiter last night.

• Options

All 4 pictures were taken by Kim Teoh.
  • Options
    Hex said:
    On the subject of taking pictures of the cosmos, @sillav nitram, you should have bought my old house in Hextable.  My old neighbour has an observatory in his garden with a computer controlled telescope.  One picture is made up of 6 x 20 minute exposures.  A passing plane or cloud (or my garden light coming on) and you start again !  I will see if I can post one.
    Is it still for sale;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fantastic pictures. @hex. Thanks for posting.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    Just put my Christmas Tree up. But I don’t think you’ll need a telescope to view the Christmas moon …

That is gross! 😹
  • Options
    Please don't quote it then. ;)
  • Options
    I'd love to get a decent telescope. Find the subject of space fascinating and would love to see Jupiter or Saturn like the images Hex has posted.
  • Options
    Hex said:

He got a picture of the Horsehead Nebula from his garden? Bloody hell...
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Hex said:

He got a picture of the Horsehead Nebula from his garden? Bloody hell...
    As an example of the pictures that Kim takes, this is far from the best example.
  • Options
    I have sent you a message re the telescope. 
  • Options
    I've got a Galaxy Ultra and while the zoom function is a lot of fun, it doesn't take good pictures under poor light.
  • Options
    Hex said:
    I have sent you a message re the telescope. 
    I've sent you a message  @Hex