Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Losing My Religion

edited August 2007 in General Charlton
Damn. I hate Rugby

England are playing France next Saturday at exactly the same time as we are away at Stoke. This means that the pubs here in Lyon will be full of bloody egg chasers.

I fear I may be denied our live game as well as the radio commentaries.

If I needed to be remembered why I hate rugby then this is it.

Comments

• Options
    knowing how big a part Charlton plays in you and your family's life JM, i'm suprised you managed to take yourself abroad in the first place !!
  • Options
    According to the RFU site the kick off for the rugby is 20.00 - You would have thought that they get it right.

http://www.rfu.com/fixtures/MatchByGroup.aspx?GrpID=7970386
  • Options
    This is true - good news.

I went to the pubs after our game to see if I could get to watch the Wolves match. Not because I wanted to see Wolves but to do a trial run for next week i.e. to see if I could get to see a championship live game when the rugby's on. No chance - pubs packed with egg-chasers. even the Liverpool fans had to wait until half-time to convince them to put thei match on one of the 3 screens in the biggest pub.
    However someone said that next week the rugby would be on later so I'm working on the bar staff in 2 pubs, trying to get them to show Charlton v Stoke. One pub's going to let me know on Thursday and I've got a mate trying to influence another pub.
    It's hard work trying to see the mighty Addicts.

AFKA - what you said is true - now I'm here and I'm probably staying. I like it here but this is the sacrifice. I met my wife here and I'm not going to leave her!
    The funny thing is that the first time I went away was to Oz 13 years ago. Then we had no internet, nothing and I was able to forget about it. In Indonesia 5 years ago I used to follow live text but it wasn't so difficult.
    In some ironic way Charlton Life has made it more difficult to be away!
  • Options
    JM, would it be possible to come back for games now with the eurostar and all that, makes it a tad easier?
  • Options
    That's me in the corner,that's me in the spotlight losing my religion....
  • Options
    Love that R.E.M song.
  • Options
    I come back by easyjet on average once every two months. It's cheaper than Eurostar from Lyon. Next up: Barnsley then Xmas and/or New Year games

The 'Losing My Religion' thing was done as a double meaning:

1. The original meaning of the REM song which is an old expression in the part of the U.S. That they're from which means 'to be pissed off with something', 'to have had enough of it'. If anyone tells you this isn't true (even someone from Georgia) refer them to me because it is the real meaning.

2. As the interpretation (false) that most people give to the song as in actually losing a religion. For me that is that if I can't even get to listen to the games then I could lose Charlton as a religion (although this could never really happen of course)