Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shortest Day

Hope all the tiny people celebrating it have a wonderful day. 

Comments

• Options
    I liked the image on Have I Got News For You showing Prime Ministers scaled by length of time in office. Liz Truss disappeared.

• Options
    It's the most important day of the year, the reason why 'Christmas' is when it is. From today, the days start getting longer. Winter may be coming, but it's also ending. Praise be to the onset of spring and the renewal of life. 
  • Options
    Yuletide celebrates the end of winter and the sap starting to rise again  B)
  • Options
    Yuletide celebrates the end of winter and the sap starting to rise again  B)
    Yeah and I'm going off to burn a big log and toast to the end of winter and the start of the annual renewal 😀😀😀.
  • Options
    Longest day for vampires...  :D  
  • Options
    Its not the shortest day. All days have the same length - 24 hours. It is/was the day with the least amount of sunlight / daylight.  
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Its not the shortest day. All days have the same length - 24 hours. It is/was the day with the least amount of sunlight / daylight.  
    Really? I thought today ended at 4pm?!

• Options
    may I be the first to shout PEDANT (just jesting, of course your retort is correct lol)
  • Options
    The live stream from Stone Henge at sunrise was excellent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can anyone give me a quick explanation of how the ancients knew which was the shortest / longest day ? How did they measure so accurately? 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Can anyone give me a quick explanation of how the ancients knew which was the shortest / longest day ? How did they measure so accurately? 
    Observation. Our pre-Christian ancestors used similar calendars to ours and, given the dependency on understanding the seasons for the purposes of planting/harvesting crops, were very aware of the key moments in the calendar. Thus the winter solstice is the moment when the winter season starts its journey back towards spring. 

Christianity adopted these festivals and just changed the meaning to suit the new theology. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Who do you reckon would win that fight?
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Chizz said:

OddJob in the middle.
  • Options

I celebrated it with a swim in my Charlton hat 🤗
    Blimey - it must be deeper than it looks!
  • Options
    Just flapping about in a giant puddle 🤣🤣🤣
  • Options
    Well, if you want to get really picky, every day is a little longer than the last. As the Earth's rotation is slowing down, we gain about 2.3 milliseconds a century. Very real change even though it's not enough to reset your watch for.

BTW, solstice is just a moment rather than a day. It's the point where the sun gets to its lowest point (over the Tropic of Capricorn). It gets its name from the fact that if you tracked its movements against the rest of the stars is would appear to stop and then change direction. Of course, this is a a tad difficult to observe in real life because, if you can see the sun then the light from the other stars are obscured by the power of the sunlight. Explain all that away, flat earthers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I celebrated it with a swim in my Charlton hat 🤗
    Blimey - it must be deeper than it looks!
    It's the slope that would have done for me!
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Chizz said:

Putin. He's bought all the other flight tickets.