Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next Manager?

Kind of tongue in cheek, but seriously Appleton can only be a few more crap results from getting the tin tack

John Eustace for me, maybe even Tony Mowbray...

Comments

• Options
    Charlton are already a laughing stock and replacing yet another manager after ten minutes will add to the laughter. Who of any note do you seriously think would entertain coming to work at our three ring circus ? In the knowledge that you can’t polish a turd. At some point we’ve got to support a manager in the transfer market and give him time to get things how he wants things. I’ll make a judgement on Appleton next November and then only based on who he’s allowed to bring in. 
    I know, it's ludicrous to be even thinking this but we are on an awful run at the moment (cup games included) & Appleton is not getting any kind of response whatsoever, we look absolutely clueless  - if we continue like this then what?

Every chance Mowbray will end up at Birmingham I think but I am hoping there s some kind of plan B at least for us
  • Options
    There's a reason Darren Ferguson laughed when offered the gig. The same reason Chris Powell kindly declined.
    The vision and the tools by which to reach it don't add up.

You'll always get some no mark willing to do it though. And that's why we ended up with Appleton. And there's plenty more where he came from.
    Exactly this.

The decent managers out there can do better than us.

Eustace and Mowbray amongst them.
  • Options
    Ian Dowie
  • Options
    Since Bowyer, all the external appointments have been a bit questionable, and have often come out of nowhere.

Adkins and Holden weren't in the conversation, but emerged. Garner did reasonably at Swindon, but it's not as if he was tipped everywhere to be the next big thing.

Appleton was a "safer" appointment, but so was Russell Slade...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There’s no way Eustace or Mowbray would drop to league 1, they will easily get decent championship jobs

Michael Duff would be my first choice. Failing that then maybe Gary Rowett would be more likely to drop down than those first 2 as he’s probably settled down here and played for us. 

Based on this regimes last 2 appointments though, there would have to be a serious change in ambition to get one of those 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    There’s no way Eustace or Mowbray would drop to league 1, they will easily get decent championship jobs

Michael Duff would be my first choice. Failing that then maybe Gary Rowett would be more likely to drop down than those first 2 as he’s probably settled down here and played for us. 

Based on this regimes last 2 appointments though, there would have to be a serious change in ambition to get one of those 
    Part of the reason Rowett left “the small club up the road”, was because he no longer wanted to commute from the midlands. 
  • Options
    Charlton are already a laughing stock and replacing yet another manager after ten minutes will add to the laughter. Who of any note do you seriously think would entertain coming to work at our three ring circus ? In the knowledge that you can’t polish a turd. At some point we’ve got to support a manager in the transfer market and give him time to get things how he wants things. I’ll make a judgement on Appleton next November and then only based on who he’s allowed to bring in. 
    If he’s still here that will probably be academic because he’ll have to be doing will enough that the chums in charge don’t need a scapegoat. 

I wouldn’t rely on any of them being here next November.
    As in, do you think the current owners will clear the decks of the current SLT on the footballing side, or, the current owners won’t be here by next November?

• Options
    NabySarr said:

Yes agree - wishful thinking & I'm clutching at straws & have calmed down a bit from that disgraceful performance this morning

Appleton out! 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

Part of the reason Rowett left “the small club up the road”, was because he no longer wanted to commute from the midlands. 
    Fair enough maybe not Rowett then. 

If we have some ambition then Michael Duff or Alex Neill from the unemployed list. 

Maybe go for giving a chance to a highly rated coach (worked for Pompey/Leicester/Plymouth recently), Ryan Mason or someone like that 

Or to try and unite the fans, Bowyer, Euell (would also fit highly rated coach) 

• Options
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:

If we have some ambition then Michael Duff or Alex Neill from the unemployed list. 

Maybe go for giving a chance to a highly rated coach (worked for Pompey/Leicester/Plymouth recently), Ryan Mason or someone like that 

Pete Wild at Barrow - watched a few of their recent games - he is doing an excellent job up there on the back of an excellent job at Halifax - maybe we are too far south but he'll go onto bigger things some day - rather him than a washed up non-entity like Appleton
  • Options
    Oakster2 said:
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:

Pete Wild at Barrow - watched a few of their recent games - he is doing an excellent job up there on the back of an excellent job at Halifax - maybe we are too far south but he'll go onto bigger things some day - rather him than a washed up non-entity like Appleton
    That’s a good shout, we tried Challinor before who would probably be the best out of league 2 but Wild looks like a good young manager on the up
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    If he’s still here that will probably be academic because he’ll have to be doing will enough that the chums in charge don’t need a scapegoat. 

As in, do you think the current owners will clear the decks of the current SLT on the footballing side, or, the current owners won’t be here by next November?

I’m guessing there will be some accountability at some point and that this wasn’t quite the pitch made. Thus far it’s probably just background noise, but in a year’s time…
    But isn’t Methven a minor shareholder? He can’t be moved out if so. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:

I’m guessing there will be some accountability at some point and that this wasn’t quite the pitch made. Thus far it’s probably just background noise, but in a year’s time…
    Makes sense.  I can’t see the current owners being here in 2 years personally.  I think that whoever is in charge in the summer (Appleton/Scott etc), will get the 24/25 season, but that the squad and the investment will be no near what’s required, and at the end of that season, the investors will finally realise they’ve been sold a dud and will want to sell up, and we’ll be back to square one, but an even more unattractive investment 

As per my post further back in the thread, the way it’s panning out under the new owners, it’s made a few people who were talking them up, look a bit silly 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:

I’d be keen on Michael Duff. Not sure the fans would get on with his preferred use of the 352 tho
  • Options
    Airman - could you identify any type of owner or existing owner in the EFL ( a realistic one) that you would be happy with ? 
    It seems to me that 99% of potential owners of a club like Charlton are likely to be gambling chancers . No sensible business person would ever take it on. 
  • Options
    As each manager seems to be a little worse than the last, I'm worried about where we go next. Here's a name that got long history of management in the sport sector, Gordon Brittas. That'd be about Charlton's level. 
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited December 2023
    Surely our US owners know little about the game so are relying on the British management structure they’ve put in place. They acted quickly to get rid of Holden. Who would they need to get rid of now? They will be seeing that this isn’t working and being American they would want to act quickly I would think. But what can they do? It would take guts to get rid of the big guns they’ve put in place. But, things aren’t working. I have no idea how they’d need to go about changing things but as things stand we seem to be spiraling downwards. Is it as simple as sacking Appleton? Seems a lot bigger than that to me.
    i suppose we have the transfer window ahead of us which may give us an idea of what they are about. I hope they act positively in some way. The core of the team just seems all wrong. 
  • Options
    cabbles said:

But isn’t Methven a minor shareholder? He can’t be moved out if so. 
    He can surely be removed from any position of authority.