Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Keeper Needed

I think today finally convinced me we need a new keeper. I wanted MB to succeed but his distribution, flapping at crosses and lack of communication with the defence are costing us. I got really irritated with the number of times he sat on the ball and failed to get us on the attack. Its as if he has been coached to time waste so much that he can't change his mindset when we need to get a move on to get back into the game. We need a new first choice keeper as part of rebuilding the spine for next year.

Comments

• Options
    Been saying it all season. He's garbage.
  • Options
    agreed, i m o the most important position on the field and MB is weak .. a confident keeper makes for a confident defence, a confident defence means the midfield and attack can attack with confidence .. like it or not successful teams are built from a very solid defence and the keeper is the ultimate defender
  • Options
    I really find it hard to judge the ability of goalkeepers, but even so I was always miffed at the regard in which AMB was held in compared to our other keeper. 

To me, I just really don’t see anything in his game that puts him apart from anyone else we have had in goal in the last few seasons or so. 

I think it is naive to pick our player or players who are ‘the problem’ as I think the issue is a lot deeper and a lot more nuanced then that. But I certainly don’t think he is a keeper I could see in a quality side (but could very much be wrong).
  • Options
    Isted signing came out of the blue for me, but I think his absence is not helping the problems. Maynard Brewer does not talk to his back line and never comes for crosses, his punch leading up to the goal was weak, although we should have done a lot better before and after that. A good shot stopper but he needs to learn much more. 
  • Options
    Really want him to succeed having come to the other side of the world as a 15 yr old but just doesn't seem to have progressed.  Doesn't command his box sufficiently.  Still better than the hapless Isted though so add a decent keeper to the Jan list and keep him as backup.
  • Options
    Lack of communication could be seen when watching on the stream. It didn’t lead to chances, but the lack of composure could be seen throughout.  

AMB has been number 1 for a year and don’t think he’s progressed very much.Think I wrote on the match thread, one of Jones, Hector or AMB need to need replacing by better. Those three aren’t pulling their weight with organisation and leadership. A new keeper should be on the list of signings.
  • Options
    With proper coaching I think he could be very good.
  • Options
    I get my shopping faster than AMB releases the ball!! Zero comms when defending corners, free kicks, etc. 
    Watching the warm up routine pre match i think the GK coaching staff are not too demanding.
    Also needs to take the Zorro mask off, must be distracting.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2023
    Don’t think AMB is the problem, when you’re allowing opposition forwards to have no one marking them and then they receive the ball, the chances are they’re going to score.

• Options
    It’s not AMB’s fault that when opposition players try and intimidate him or block him from moving that none of his teammates are immediately stepping in and backing him up; it’s not AMB’s fault that from where he’s standing with the ball he can’t necessarily always see a player he can trust to control the ball and do something with it; it is AMB’s fault if he is indecisive too often or does a Deano
  • Options
    Don’t think AMB is the problem, when you’re allowing opposition forwards to have no one marking them and then they receive the ball, the chances are they’re going to score.

Yes, we ball watch and chase the ball leaving players unmarked. Every game same shite. 
    Appleton bears some of the responsibility. 
  • Options
    Sorry but MB isn't my cup of tea at all, but I doubt I'm his, but I'd like to see someone with more experience.
  • Options
    A keeper will gain in confidence if he has a decent settled defence in front of him.
    MB does not have this luxury. 
    I'd say it's the other way around mate. The defence will be more confident if they trust the fella behind them. Sadly they've got the meekest Aussie ever in goal. No command of the defence or of his area. Comically slow distribution and when he does kick it at pace it doesn't find its target. 
  • Options
    Maybe just maybe, if he would take that stupid mask off he might just be able to come out and claim a cross once in a while and his kicking might improve
  • Options
    Isted???????
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I blame Rob Elliott
  • Options
    not good enough to be 1st choice imo just not commanding enough
  • Options
    Think he needs to improve a lot on dealing with crosses and command his area better.

Distribution is so so, could be better, not really a huge issue at our level though. If you’re relaying on your ‘keeper to be playmaker you have much bigger issues.

Shot stopping is very good.

Silly penalty concession at Pompey aside, I wouldn’t hold him directly responsible for any goals conceded but he has played his part in one or two collective fuck ups. 

Prefer him to Isted, but he’s not as good as Amos, Phillips, or Hamer.

I’d like to see him do well here but my gut tells me we will need to bring someone in eventually if we want to get promoted. He is borderline though, he’s one of 4 or 5 who I suspect might look better with better players around him. 

Not a priority for January, imo. 
  • Options
    Just wanted to look at the stats and noticed he has played 4 less league games for Charlton than McGillivray did but has conceded 3 more goals in total.

Obviously not the best way to compare them, but do find it funny that considering they have what I think we would all consider to be similar weaknesses to there game - that AMB seems to barely get much said about him - where as CM was getting the full treatment. 
  • Options
    Think he needs to improve a lot on dealing with crosses and command his area better.

Distribution is so so, could be better, not really a huge issue at our level though. If you’re relaying on your ‘keeper to be playmaker you have much bigger issues.

Shot stopping is very good.

Silly penalty concession at Pompey aside, I wouldn’t hold him directly responsible for any goals conceded but he has played his part in one or two collective fuck ups. 

Prefer him to Isted, but he’s not as good as Amos, Phillips, or Hamer.

I’d like to see him do well here but my gut tells me we will need to bring someone in eventually if we want to get promoted. He is borderline though, he’s one of 4 or 5 who I suspect might look better with better players around him. 

Not a priority for January, imo. 
    Agree with all of this but would also add that he doesn't hold on to shots, generally they are parried/punched back into play.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    FAVADDICK said:
    Maybe just maybe, if he would take that stupid mask off he might just be able to come out and claim a cross once in a while and his kicking might improve
    He's got a history of concussions and facial injuries, so of all the shit takes, this is up there with the top ones
    if he is so delicate and afraid of getting a broken nose again, he should not be playing professional football .. he is not good enough anyway and as said the mask just cannot help his vision and all round performance .. he should not be in the team .. we need a keeper who is up to the job
  • Options
    Neither of our keepers are promotion winning quality. Keep one as a number 2, but we really need a better option in goal. 
  • Options
    Pulls off some good saves but my heart is in my mouth every time there is a cross or when he comes off his line .He isn't the type of keeper who will win us promotion.
  • Options
    Nice lad Ashley but we need better. He doesn't have the character yet for a top goalie and his skillset doesn't make up for it. I don't think his shot stopping is as good as made out, no different from most CAFC keepers we have had. 

A goalie isn't the number 1 priority, but it's hard to even make a case as Ash as a decent keeper in this league. I don't think many teams above us or below us would want to stop swap. 

3 clean sheets the whole season, doesn't tell the whole story but sometimes a keeper can win you a clean sheet on his own, Isted proved that at Shrewsbury away. 

Clean sheet table: 

• Options
    Defenders sometimes need eyes in the back of their head and that's where a decent GK comes in. He should be vocal towards his defence, making them aware of potential problems, but I have seen zero evidence of him shouting any instructions at them. My son commented last season that he seems to walk around the area looking down, like he's lost his keys. 

He's a decent shot stopper, but that's only one part of his job and he seems to be lacking in all other aspects. True, the defence isn't the greatest, but that's all the more reason for having a commanding man behind them, not a lost boy.