Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next Goal Wins-Film released recently in the cinemas

If you want abit of therapy on the lighter side of football, and reading the posts I think that's a lot of us you'll enjoy this one. Think of a Cool Runnings based on football . the story of both is based on true events. This one isbased around 2011 World Cup qualification for American Samoa. Too many funny cameo's by good actors ( eg Rhys Darby ) but Oscar Kightley was superb ("Tavita"- the chief administrator of American Samoan football). Yes the football is pants but plenty of laughs.

Mark Kermode says the documentary using the real events  is even better- can't wait to watch that if I can find it.

You know I thought Fassbender in profile looks a bit like Dean Holden or should it be the other way round?

It's  not going to challenge you but great fun. 12A rating

Comments

• Options
    If you want abit of therapy on the lighter side of football, and reading the posts I think that's a lot of us you'll enjoy this one. Think of a Cool Runnings based on football . the story of both is based on true events. This one isbased around 2011 World Cup qualification for American Samoa. Too many funny cameo's by good actors ( eg Rhys Darby ) but Oscar Kightley was superb ("Tavita"- the chief administrator of American Samoan football). Yes the football is pants but plenty of laughs.

Mark Kermode says the documentary using the real events  is even better- can't wait to watch that if I can find it.

You know I thought Fassbender in profile looks a bit like Dean Holden or should it be the other way round?

It's  not going to challenge you but great fun. 12A rating

The Doc is on Apple TV, Amazon, Sky Store and S ky Documentary channel.

I own tfe rights to it.  It's bloody good!
  • Options
    Don't know how they can improve on the documentary to be honest. Thomas Rongen is a wonderful character to focus on his story is equally heartbreaking and inspiring 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Don't know how they can improve on the documentary to be honest. Thomas Rongen is a wonderful character to focus on his story is equally heartbreaking and inspiring 
    Didn't he buy Charlton? 
  • Options
    Saw the film on Boxing Day - a good watch.
  • Options
    Sorry to add to my own thread  I just spent 20 mins laughing as I related the story/gags to my wife.
    I wouldn't worry about seeing it at the cinema , its going to be a regular repeat film for Xmas/Easter /Bank hols for years to come on TV.

One point the Director Taika Waititi introduces the film, but also closes at the end of the credits.The credits run and run, maybe 10mins. The staff came into the cinema and started cleaning up. Then the conclusion came on.... worth the wait and another laugh
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Just wondered whether the documentary would play on the humour as much? Film only hints at heart break and inspiration in a superficial way. Looking forward to seeing the documentary but I'm guessing that it will be  more profound.Film definitely played for laughs.
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Just wondered whether the documentary would play on the humour as much? Film only hints at heart break and inspiration in a superficial way. Looking forward to seeing the documentary but I'm guessing that it will be  more profound.Film definitely played for laughs.
    Enjoyed both the film and the documentary- a gentle watch.