Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Anti-inflammatory diet

I've got inflammatory arthritis and I'm going to give an anti inflammatory diet a go.

Has anyone tried it? Any suggestions for things to eat? I understand alcohol is off which is sad but probably necessary.

Comments

• Options
    I try to keep to the above, BUT have a wicked 'sweet tooth' and crave biscuits, ice cream and chocolate .. so my excuse/motto is 'bad things in moderation'
  • Options
    That’s a really helpful article - many thanks. I’m pleased to see eggs are ok! I think the problem for me will be all the processed food I eat. I’m going to have to make time to prepare stuff from scratch.
  • Options
    I have extremely aggressive RA, after flying through god knows how many drugs and combinations of drugs the past 4 years diets been one of the only things that's been a positive impact on my health, that and daily ice bathing. I'm 99% carnivore now only not 100% as allow odd cheat ie Xmas birthday etc. But even just the very rare treat will cause massive flare ups. 

Good luck with the aip diet, I tried it (and vegan organic versions) but sadly wasn't restrictive enough for me.
  • Options
    scruffle said:
    I have extremely aggressive RA, after flying through god knows how many drugs and combinations of drugs the past 4 years diets been one of the only things that's been a positive impact on my health, that and daily ice bathing. I'm 99% carnivore now only not 100% as allow odd cheat ie Xmas birthday etc. But even just the very rare treat will cause massive flare ups. 

Good luck with the aip diet, I tried it (and vegan organic versions) but sadly wasn't restrictive enough for me.
    I’m in the middle of the longest flare up I’ve had. Doc wants me to go on immunosuppressants but I’m resisting. Hoping this works for me.
    What kind of ice bathing? I’ve not tried that.
  • Options
    edited January 5
    I'm in my early sixties, n suffer from advanced arthritis in my knees, cutting out red meats, wine & sugar from my diet has really helped, supplement wise I'm currently taking turmeric, magnesium glycerinate, chondroitin, omega 3 oils, cherry and celery seeds. I am still physically active walking the coastal paths of the uk, teaching physical theatre / movement classes. Flare ups in my knees  have reduced a lot through diet changes. I've had to accept some limitations to my flexibility, reduced my weight and also built up strength in my upper legs to support my knees better. I have a back lash from times of intense exercise, ie after a few days intense hill walking or rehearsals but generally feel inflammation and pain is getting less. Oh and dips in the sea does really help
  • Options
    Shrew said:
    I'm in my early sixties, n suffer from advanced arthritis in my knees, cutting out red meats, wine & sugar from my diet has really helped, supplement wise I'm currently taking turmeric, magnesium glycerinate, chondroitin, omega 3 oils, cherry and celery seeds. I am still physically active walking the coastal paths of the uk, teaching physical theatre / movement classes. Flare ups in my knees  have reduced a lot through diet changes. I've had to accept some limitations to my flexibility, reduced my weight and also built up strength in my upper legs to support my knees better. I have a back lash from times of intense exercise, ie after a few days intense hill walking or rehearsals but generally feel inflammation and pain is getting less. Oh and dips in the sea does really help
    That sounds really positive. Do you remember how long it was after changing your diet that you noticed changes?
  • Options
    When I got Lyme my main issue was inflammation.
    So I cut out all sugar & took up cold water swimming/dipping/floating.
    I just carry on with the cold water therapy as that seems to have been the game changer for me. Lyme is in remission (touch wood).
    Good luck my lovely mad hen lady xxxx
    I think I must give cold water therapy a try. Wondering if I could just go for a cold shower or is that not cold enough?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I just carry on with the cold water therapy as that seems to have been the game changer for me. Lyme is in remission (touch wood).
    I think I must give cold water therapy a try. Wondering if I could just go for a cold shower or is that not cold enough?
    It’s definitely the way to start if you are unable to get to a decent body of water and don’t want to fork out on a tub.
    Wim Hoff is the fella who swears by those.
    Don’t put your head under to start, it’ll put you right off.
    Google that shit, there’s loads of info out there.
    My inbox is always there, can send you my mobile number and I can help.
  • Options
    A good Zoe video on inflammation from a few days ago. Sleep, exercise (different types) and restricting when you eat can all help as well as diet. https://youtu.be/R_JQllUuv7I?si=fWgKOBK0mS07ao9X
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    A good Zoe video on inflammation from a few days ago. Sleep, exercise (different types) and restricting when you eat can all help as well as diet. https://youtu.be/R_JQllUuv7I?si=fWgKOBK0mS07ao9X
    This is excellent, thank you. I’m only part way through but there’s so much I didn’t know about it. Really helpful stuff and put simply.
  • Options
    edited January 6
    It’s definitely the way to start if you are unable to get to a decent body of water and don’t want to fork out on a tub.
    Wim Hoff is the fella who swears by those.
    Don’t put your head under to start, it’ll put you right off.
    Google that shit, there’s loads of info out there.
    My inbox is always there, can send you my mobile number and I can help.
    Came here to mention Wim Hoff. 

Have done it for a couple of years and resting heart rate is 40-44bpm.some days.

May be a bit pseudo science albeit he does claim to have scientific verification at universities re anti inflammation and really helps with mental well being too. 

His book is very good 

The Wim Hof Method By Wim Hof & What Doesn't Kill Us By Scott Carney 2 Books Collection Set https://amzn.eu/d/caWWuN1

https://www.wimhofmethod.com/the-wim-hof-method-book
  • Options
    Occasionally listen to this podcast, saw there’s a recent episode on inflammation.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/just-one-thing-with-michael-mosley/id1560369423?i=1000639434623
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Occasionally listen to this podcast, saw there’s a recent episode on inflammation.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/just-one-thing-with-michael-mosley/id1560369423?i=1000639434623
    Thank you. I will have a listen