Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Five full weekend Blackwall tunnel closures soon for Silvertown tunnel work

The Blackwall tunnel will see extensive full weekend closures in the southbound direction in coming weeks for Silvertown tunnel work.

Transport for London state closures will see southbound traffic heading towards Greenwich needing to find alternative routes on:

• 13-15 January- Peterborough[h]
  • 20-22 January
  • 27-29 January (a contingency weekend if either of the previous two weekends are not possible)
  • 10-12 February
  • 24-26 February- Portsmouth [h]
https://www.fromthemurkydepths.co.uk/2024/01/05/five-full-weekend-blackwall-tunnel-closures-soon-for-silvertown-tunnel-work/

This will affect the two home games highlighted above.

Comments

• Options
    Don't worry. When Khan puts a charge of £5.25 (each way) on using the Tunnel no-one will be using it anyway.
  • Options
    There's nothing worth seeing on that side of the river anyway. 
  • Options
    Reminder for Saturday
    Works | TfL works

[A102] BLACKWALL TUNNEL (E14,SE10) (Greenwich,Tower Hamlets)

To: Monday 15 January 2024

Last updated 19:26 Wednesday 10 January 2024 : Works are taking place on the following weekends Sat to Mon from 00:01 to 05:00 on 13-15Jan, 20-22 Jan, 27-29Jan,10-12Feb and 24-26Feb.

Works | TfL works

[A102] Blackwall Tunnel (Southbound) at the junction of [A102] Blackwall Tunnel Northern Approach - Blackwall Tunnel southbound closure to facilitate collaborative highway works.

https://tfl.gov.uk/

• Options
    Thanks Clive, incidentally TFL haven't updated their status updates for the weekend. Despite the link on the homepage they show 'no exceptional delays' for the Blackwall tunnel across the weekend. So the 'status updates' clearly cannot be relied upon.

I was curious to see if the Woolwich ferry is running across the weekend to support the closures and according to the status update list it is. But i don't trust that, and no references as to whether the ferry is running or not on other TFL web pages. Woolwich ferry hasn't been running at weekends for some time now as far as i know. There would be big queues if it is running, but maybe not announcing it is part of a cunning plan to keep traffic on the ferry relatively light. 
  • Options
    Thanks Clive, incidentally TFL haven't updated their status updates for the weekend. Despite the link on the homepage they show 'no exceptional delays' for the Blackwall tunnel across the weekend. So the 'status updates' clearly cannot be relied upon.

I was curious to see if the Woolwich ferry is running across the weekend to support the closures and according to the status update list it is. But i don't trust that, and no references as to whether the ferry is running or not on other TFL web pages. Woolwich ferry hasn't been running at weekends for some time now as far as i know. There would be big queues if it is running, but maybe not announcing it is part of a cunning plan to keep traffic on the ferry relatively light. 

Had an email from TFL this morning saying that the ferry is running all weekend, with service every 15 mins....
  • Options

Had an email from TFL this morning saying that the ferry is running all weekend, with service every 15 mins....
    I can imagine it’ll be rammed.
  • Options
    Dartford bridge is shut this weekend too 🤣 but luckily for some between 9pm Saturday evening and 5am Sunday morning. Everyone through Rotherhithe/Tower Bridge 😬
  • Options
    Dartford bridge is shut this weekend too 🤣 but luckily for some between 9pm Saturday evening and 5am Sunday morning. Everyone through Rotherhithe/Tower Bridge 😬
    So the 2 major crossings under/over the river east of the City are both closed.

Wow. Who thought of that one ?
  • Options
    Dartford bridge is shut this weekend too 🤣 but luckily for some between 9pm Saturday evening and 5am Sunday morning. Everyone through Rotherhithe/Tower Bridge 😬  They  usually  divert the traffic through the tunnel. Which cause a problem for high vehicles going North ( anticlock wise). 
  • Options
    I didnt realise this was in place so driving back from Essex to New Eltham to saturday night about 11 thinking I would fly back in half an hour actually took nearly 2 hours as traffic was basically at a stand still by the big A13 (i think) junction where the 4 lane motorway plus 2 lanes joining the motorway all had to merge into 1 lane in about 50m in order to get diverted through the tunnel. Pisstake to close both at the same time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I didnt realise this was in place so driving back from Essex to New Eltham to saturday night about 11 thinking I would fly back in half an hour actually took nearly 2 hours as traffic was basically at a stand still by the big A13 (i think) junction where the 4 lane motorway plus 2 lanes joining the motorway all had to merge into 1 lane in about 50m in order to get diverted through the tunnel. Pisstake to close both at the same time.
    I was stuck in the same gridlock. I knew about the closures, but there are so few alternatives.
  • Options
    At a slight tangent - is the Thames Path open to walkers from central Greenwich to the O2 / cable car presently including weekends or is affected by these works? Can’t find anything online but grateful for any insight. 
  • Options
    At a slight tangent - is the Thames Path open to walkers from central Greenwich to the O2 / cable car presently including weekends or is affected by these works? Can’t find anything online but grateful for any insight. 
    I'm pretty sure it's unaffected. The tunnel dives underground well away from the water's edge, or indeed the O2 and cable car
  • Options
    Reminder
    Southbound tunnel closed this weekend
    • 24-26 February- Portsmouth [h]
    Also two additional closures
     16th-18th March 
    13th-15th April
    https://www.fromthemurkydepths.co.uk/2024/02/21/further-blackwall-tunnel-weekend-closures-announced-by-tfl/
  • Options
    The Blackwall Tunnel will be closed southbound this weekend. With this in mind, please allow extra time for your journey to The Valley and find an alternative route.
    https://www.charltonafc.com/news/match-preview-charlton-v-portsmouth-0
  • Options
    Due to the weekend closure of the M25 at Junction 10, which will see the motorway closed in both directions, and the increased pressure this will place on the Dartford Crossing, we have now rescheduled our planned southbound closure of the Blackwall Tunnel to 23-25 March.
    https://www.fromthemurkydepths.co.uk/2024/03/05/blackwall-tunnel-weekend-closure-date-moved/

Wigan [h]

• Options
    edited March 6
    TFL haven't updated their website apparently, so this confuses me. TFL website still says next closure of the southbound will be 16th-18th March as scheduled, when we are at Fleetwood of course. It is this works that is re-arranged to 23-25th, (Wigan game as Clive says), according to the Murkydepths report.

I don't get why closure of the m25 at Cobham in the West should change plans for the Blackwall tunnel; official reason quoted on Murkydepths is 'the extra pressure on the Dartford Crossing'.

Tunnel open both ways as normal for Carlisle on this saturday at least.
  • Options
    Note for those driving back from the game at Cambridge this weekend.

We need to close the Blackwall Tunnel to southbound traffic on a number of weekends. This is for work on a new road layout on the A102, as part of the Silvertown Tunnel Project.

Closure dates and details 

• Saturday 13 to Monday 15 April

All closures run from 00:01 Saturday morning (Friday midnight) until 05:00 Monday morning.

https://tfl.gov.uk/status-updates/major-works-and-events/blackwall-tunnel-closures?intcmp=7586800:01 Sat 20 to 05:00 Mon 22 Jan