Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

++Lewis Fiorini signs on loan from Man City++

Comments

• Options
    He won’t be playing tomorrow will he, so I don’t fully understand the issue here?
  • Options
    Wow. Andy Scott pulling out the big guns once again.

Bravo, Sir.  :|
  • Options
    Despite all the talk (and not just at Charlton) at having sophisticated, data led recruitment processes, it's amazing how many lower division transfers still involve players the manager has previously worked with.
    Appleton is a bot
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:
    Melrose said:
    They'll have to do better than Bakinson and Fiorini to get fans back at the valley
    Melrose said:
    They'll have to do better than Bakinson and Fiorini to get fans back at the valley
    I’m not going back if all they do is sign 4th class cast offs 
    Sayonara
  • Options
    Despite all the talk (and not just at Charlton) at having sophisticated, data led recruitment processes, it's amazing how many lower division transfers still involve players the manager has previously worked with.
    Unless you are previously Brentford (look where they are now), Brighton (same) or Peterborough (perenially spending decent money on good forwards and usually selling them for a ton more money).

The rest are lazy.  Or poor at it.
  • Options
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
     I can only echo others on here. What the is going on???? These signings are completely idiotic, and do not strengthen the squad. They won't match fit for weeks, if they can even get to that level before breaking down. The thinking behind this is just mental. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    He won’t be playing tomorrow will he, so I don’t fully understand the issue here?
    The issue is we were told by Scott that we’d be signing players that had been playing recently so why wouldn’t he be playing tomorrow James?
  • Options
    edited January 5
    On paper, if fit and playing regularly, these two might be good additions.

They're none of the above.

After tomorrow, we have a ridiculously difficult line up of games.   We could be, by the end of Feb, really be in the shit.

• Options
    edited January 5
    Going to say *if fit* up front 

In Fiorini and Bakinson, it feels like we're signing loan players similar to the loan players we already have--L Watson and Camara. Obviously with Camara he's hurt, and I do wonder if he's going back. Lwat, well, I just don't know.

We have a lot of central midfielders now. On the bright side hopefully it means no more CC as the 10 and that Anderson gets a loan. On the down side there is a lot of redundancy while Daniel Kanu starts up front.

If Camara goes back, Anderson goes out on loan, and McGrandles moves on then these signings make sense. Or maybe Lwat goes back. But past that, while Bakinson adds needed physicality, Fiorini just feels like Appleton's mate. 
  • Options
    Wonder if he did a FunHouse style High Five with Tedic as they passed each other
    Tedic would have ended up slapping him in the face.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why do we continue to insult our academy with these young people?

We're in league one FFS. If Avory and co can't produce kids good enough for this level then it might be worth calling it quits!
  • Options
    Wonder if he did a FunHouse style High Five with Tedic as they passed each other

• Options
    This is the first time ive ever been worried that the board are actually backing the manager. Clearly another appleton signing and i have zero faith in him
  • Options

We're in league one FFS. If Avory and co can't produce kids good enough for this level then it might be worth calling it quits!
    That’s harsh. A lot of youngsters have already been given chances this season and it’s clear that most of them are not ready yet, or potentially good enough 
    Yeah and for players like Anderson and Asiimwe they will develop better going to a club and level (League Two) where they can play regularly. They are both talented, and both clearly not ready. 
  • Options

That’s harsh. A lot of youngsters have already been given chances this season and it’s clear that most of them are not ready yet, or potentially good enough 
     Sorry mate. Yes harsh but a club with an academy as good as ours is supposed to be should be littered with kids that are more than ready for league one football imo.
  • Options

I think if we got Category One status as an Academy there would be a rude awakening at first - Our youngsters are nothing to be sniffed at I don't think, as they've performed well in the FA Youth Cup over the years.

But there is still a good level between Cat.2 and Cat.1 it feels - I mean if we were in the latter, then a few years ago our kids would have been up against the likes of Phil Foden on a regular basis... Think at first we'd seriously struggle, for one reason we're limited to the kids that we can sign, depending how far away they live... Cat.1 clubs dont have those restrictions

Then there is the 19-year old Goalkeeper that we did produce, before Brighton decided to sign him, who is playing in League One with Oxford this season - Would James Beadle be No.1 this season if was still here?
    Yeah, a good point. I think Anderson and Asiimwe would still show their talent, but I think it would be really telling for players like Kanu, Casey, and Rylah. The gulf in technical and physical ability would be evident. 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

I think if we got Category One status as an Academy there would be a rude awakening at first - Our youngsters are nothing to be sniffed at I don't think, as they've performed well in the FA Youth Cup over the years.

But there is still a good level between Cat.2 and Cat.1 it feels - I mean if we were in the latter, then a few years ago our kids would have been up against the likes of Phil Foden on a regular basis... Think at first we'd seriously struggle, for one reason we're limited to the kids that we can sign, depending how far away they live... Cat.1 clubs dont have those restrictions

Then there is the 19-year old Goalkeeper that we did produce, before Brighton decided to sign him, who is playing in League One with Oxford this season - Would James Beadle be No.1 this season if was still here?
    Yeah, a good point. I think Anderson and Asiimwe would still show their talent, but I think it would be really telling for players like Kanu, Casey, and Rylah. The gulf in technical and physical ability would be evident. 
    If any of them showed instant levels of being a good player - We really struggle to keep them, bit like Joe Gomez or Jonjo Shelvey.

Just because they've not show instant promise, doesn't mean they won't go on to have good careers in the EFL, even as a lower Premier League player... e.g. Alfie Doughty

Some kids just take a bit longer than others 
    Agreed and I think Kanu has worked very hard at his all around game. I was more getting at the fact that if they were playing against cat one players we wouldn't be seeing some of the goal returns (or assists for Rylah) we've seen from them at youth level. I think it sometimes gives the impression that they're more ready than they are.