Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

++Lewis Fiorini signs on loan from Man City++

Comments

• Options
    He looks ok, guess we'll see.
    Has generally good reviews from previous loan clubs and I noticed Hibs wanted him in the summer but City didn't want to use him as one of their international loans, so that can't be bad.
    He's got better experience than our academy midfielders, let's hope he can get match ready quickly and stay that way.
  • Options
    Disappointing that we are signing players who have been injured but MA has been saying we need more steel in the side and he knows both of them. I think we should wait and see before passing  judgement. Hope there are more signings to come. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Florin is it?
    Hope he's not two bob.
    A boom boom for the boomers, there. 
  • Options
    The Scottish players we’ve signed recently have been awful, hopefully this guy - whom I’ve never heard of before - breaks the trend.
  • Options
    Andy is at the wheel, can see CBT and Dobbo signing on Monday. Happy days, we are building something....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rotating our loan signings doesn't strike me as being team building for next season - and let's face it that is what we should be doing as the chances of promotion even through the playoffs is pretty much infinitesimal. Better a few permanent, durable and consistent signings that allow us to field a balanced team and a sensible programme to bring through some of the better youngsters, rather than dropp8ng them in the deep end when there is an injury crisis.
  • Options
    As often is the case @Sage is the voice of reason and talking about the bigger picture. I'd also add he clearly likes playing for Appleton so if it goes well this season we're surely in with a good chance of having him next year too
  • Options
    Players like Cullen, Gallagher, Dasilva, Bielik, JRS and Maatsen  came on loan to us to improve themselves and also, of course, our side. Each of those had something about them, some more than others. How many of this season's recruits could we say that about? Now they seem come to us just to get fit and/or in desperate need of game time which, in some cases, they simply don't get because the realisation is that they aren't up to it. 
  • Options
    Disappointing that we are signing players who have been injured but MA has been saying we need more steel in the side and he knows both of them. I think we should wait and see before passing  judgement. Hope there are more signings to come. 
    Do we know that these are his choices. Or are they being foisted on him.
  • Options
    Forgive the question, but didn't Scott say that they were looking to sign people on permanent contracts?

Welcome Tuppence 
  • Options
    What. A. Signing. I’ve got goosebumps! I just hope he comes over to the away end at Port Vale tomorrow and signs my Stone Island jacket to make it a couple of days I’ll never forget after this brilliant news.
  • Options
    I don't think there's any doubt Fiorini has talent, otherwise he wouldn't be on City's books..

The problem is, he hasn't been playing, he doesn't sound match fit, he isn't a player on a long term basis and we need certain characters right now to ensure we don't get dragged into that relegation mess. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we got 6 or less points from the next 27 avaliable. There are better players that are ready to go and would ensure we don't find ourselves down there, these are cheap-o options, if you can't see that then I don't know what to say at this point.

If these loan signings don't hit the ground running, are they really the types of characters up to a fight? My gut instinct says they'll pick up easy wages while not too concerned where we end up as a club, like so many before them. It's a win win situation for these types of players coming in on loan

The concern runs a lot deeper than if a player is decent imo. 

Anyone who sees these signings as positives I can only envy you, I imagine life outside Charlton would be a lot more upbeat if I could find the positives in any poor situation like this 
    Have you forgotten Tedic already?
    No, that's why I did the pause at the end..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Boom said:
    Another Lincoln cast off…
    And Blackpool. Third time he's joined a Micky Apples side.
    Incredible recruitment knowledge by these lot, they certainly know how to identify players you can say that much. 

Their strategy appears to be average players who Michael Appleton knows. Our journey away from mediocrity continues! Sadly in the wrong direction….

Keep up the good word Andy Scott!
  • Options
    edited January 6
    For Christ’s sake. 
    Appleton just go - you can’t save the situation with these no-name loans. 

Even with the 2024 version of BWP, we won’t finish better than mid-table now. 
    Ffs, you cannot blame Appleton.  His hands are tied with recruitment.

Scott is your man to look at.
  • Options
    ozaddick said:
     I can only echo others on here. What the is going on???? These signings are completely idiotic, and do not strengthen the squad. They won't match fit for weeks, if they can even get to that level before breaking down. The thinking behind this is just mental. 
    Whilst into the bargain we're in the s*** fighting relegation.

We need experience AND players to start immediately.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    He won’t be playing tomorrow will he, so I don’t fully understand the issue here?
    The issue is we were told by Scott that we’d be signing players that had been playing recently so why wouldn’t he be playing tomorrow James?
    He's full of s*** and pocketing a decent wedge.
  • Options
    Fiorini is coming in to replace Camara (on the treatment table) and Barkinson to replace Watson, who is heading back, despite arguably being out best central midfielder.

Andy Scott...take a bow 
  • Options
    edited January 6
    Scoham said:
    https://avftt.co.uk/index.php?threads/fiorini.49799/

“Would take him in a heartbeat. Some actual quality in the middle.”

“He'd play in the same position as Morgan and Carey, so would improve us. I suspect it's lazy journalism given he's played for Crappleton twice. I'd be surprised if the likes of Huddersfield, QPR, in the Championship aren't interested.”

“What a backwards step for the lad should be playing in the Championship not 3rd division football.”

“Don't forget he was playing under Dumb and Dumber last season. He was quality, most of us could see that.”

“Was a good player when he played in the championship and would be excellent at this level. If we aren't sniffing around him then we should be. Huge upgrade on our midfield.”

“Now signed for Charlton on loan. Class player at league one level.”

“Great signing for Charlton”

“That's a great signing for them. Have to say I'm disappointed we werent in there for him”
    You missed one, it’s very us.

“Another midfielder made of glass. A decent player when fit but that wasn't very often.”
    And this is where the alarm bells are ringing for me. McGrandles, Taylor, Camara (and I feel like I’m forgetting one or two more) - all signed off the back of major injuries and still injured here. Hopefully this is the one where things finally work out differently, but It sort of doesn’t matter how good Fiorini is (or isn’t) because this just has that feel of the same old mistakes being repeated which makes it hard to get excited about.

I hate how jaded I have become about the club that when we sign a new player, which should get an exciting and optimistic thing (it used to be the olden days) all I can think is “well they’ll probably be shit, or injured, or both”. 
  • Options
    Wouldn’t be a lovely coincidence if we sign him and see him play next season while we’re sitting in the Fiorini Stand at…..Bromley
  • Options
    The bloke at Man City who cleans up the unwanted and unloved, gets 'em looking sparkly and off loads.  Pep says, "he's unbelievable some mugs come back a second time".

Nice little runner?
  • Options
    The official report actually uses the phrase "injury nightmare" to describe this player.

It's beyond irony,

Is this deliberate sabotage of the club? There can be no other logical explanation for this stuff. 
    Any logic behind sabotaging the club needs explaining to me. Why, and why sign anyone if that's the goal, or is what we already had not bad enough to achieve that? Someone will say it's all a play so that the Valley can be developed next.

As I hadn't reacted to this one yet. Welcome Lewis. Hope this loan move proves a successful one for you and us.