Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

++Lewis Fiorini signs on loan from Man City++

Comments

• Options
    edited January 6
    We will probably never see him play in a Charlton shirt. 

• Options
    We will probably never see him play in a Charlton shirt. 

He'll debut coming off the bench in the Appleton ear cup semi final 1st leg 😉
  • Options
    If he's half as good as our past City loanees (Tedic, Abdul Razak) we've got ourselves some player 
    Don't forget Matt Smith!
  • Options
    Maybe we had to take him in an agreement that saw Tedic go back? Maybe it's a cost-cutting agreement.
  • Options
    I’m wary of signing an injury prone player who hasn’t played this season given our special skill in crippling footballers. With Terry Taylor and McGrandles it’s not so strange because we signed them on long term contracts but a 6 month loan feels like it’ll be mostly spent returning to fitness and then returning to unfitness. Hope not but I’m not putting too much expectation on this one right now. 

The positive again though is it’s another Appleton signing. He’s got his big lump in the middle and his little mate just like he wanted. No excuses now. 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Scoham said:
    What I can’t get my head around is why Scott built up expectations for permanent signings in the window only to sign two loans in the first week. 

Good we’ve moved fairly quickly, but as said if they do well for us there will be plenty of interest from other clubs in the summer.

The only way it makes sense is if we go on to make a minimum of 2/3 permanent signings in this window.
    Have we gone for these two because Coventry and Doherty turned us down?

Yeah I said similar yesterday. Only way we still want more CMs is if others are leaving. It wouldn’t surprise me if Fraser and/Dobson move on in addition to Watson returning to Luton (that’s expected while MA is here).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    What I can’t get my head around is why Scott built up expectations for permanent signings in the window only to sign two loans in the first week

Good we’ve moved fairly quickly, but as said if they do well for us there will be plenty of interest from other clubs in the summer.

The only way it makes sense is if we go on to make a minimum of 2/3 permanent signings in this window.
     My guess is because that's what Methven told him.
    My other guess is Methven told his fellow ownership group a completely different story and that they won't need to throw endless money at it because his senior leadership team is so good.

I still strongly feel that Methven will be left holding the baby here as the characters he managed to get on board start to realise he told them a load of bollox
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Valley11 said:
    Scoham said:
    What I can’t get my head around is why Scott built up expectations for permanent signings in the window only to sign two loans in the first week. 

Yeah I said similar yesterday. Only way we still want more CMs is if others are leaving. It wouldn’t surprise me if Fraser and/Dobson move on in addition to Watson returning to Luton (that’s expected while MA is here).
    Assuming Watson goes it’s Dobson, Bakinson, Fiorini, McGrandles, Camara, Taylor, Fraser, Anderson, Chem for three spaces. I get the feeling that once there’s any other option at all Chem will be sent back to sit in the corner and Anderson isn’t really fancied yet. Taylor I assume will be very gently eased back in and might not feature this season, Camara is a write off and McGrandles has more than his share of injuries. 

I think we’ve brought in some need right now players and will continue to work on the permanents but we’ll need players to leave first. I doubt Fraser is going anywhere but Dobson is a possibility 
  • Options
    Despite all the talk (and not just at Charlton) at having sophisticated, data led recruitment processes, it's amazing how many lower division transfers still involve players the manager has previously worked with.
    Where's Mowgli now we need him?
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    I’m willing to give everyone a chance, but the fact it’s been so bad for so long now overall on the players we’ve brought in, the fact that this guy, and the Plymouth CB come with talk of fitness struggles, really concerns me in terms of who we can attract 

I just have a concern in general that we seem to be bringing in a constant stream of players now that just turn up, and you struggle to remember any of them.  I hope this guy and Bakinson do well, but I’m just not confident 
    cross your fingers and hope for the best
  • Options
    Sage said:
    To throw in my two pence worth…

Believe if he’s ready to come in and start straight away, he’ll show he is a good player. Whether we can sign him permanently or again on loan next season if he does well, that’s a matter for the summer.

Either way, we need quality in now to help us out. The squad lacks it, so yes they said we would be getting in permanent signings and they don’t want to rely on loans, it doesn’t look great initially. However, it’s 5 days into the window, a day or so ago no one had even mentioned either of these players which shows that no matter what people may think or like to think, they haven’t a clue how close we are or players or know the ins and outs of every player we are targeting. It’s exhausting reading the over analysis on players that frankly 95% know nothing or very little about.

Regarding the academy and our own youth, we’ve spent a number of seasons in the third tier, the same thing happens at youth level as it does with first team level. The longer we are down here, the less chance we have of producing players who are good enough because they go to better clubs with better facilities in higher leagues playing against the better players from category 1 academies.

Sure, we’ve regularly produced good players before, but we had been higher in the pyramid than the sustained time in League One we’ve had and experiencing now. Also, in the last 2 or 3 years, how many players from the academy have come through and been good enough for the standard required?

That’s not harsh, that’s the reality of where we are at.
    At last someone talking sense, makes a pleasant change on here
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Valley11 said:
    Scoham said:

We’ll finish higher in the league by keeping Watson over Appleton!
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    JamesSeed said:
    He won’t be playing tomorrow will he, so I don’t fully understand the issue here?
    Because January loans should be coming in ready to hit the ground running, not needing a month to get up to match fitness. This is a truly bizarre bit of business imo
    Of course, but for all our January signings to be match fit and ready to start matches is an unrealistic expectation in our current position. Sorry. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 6
    JamesSeed said:
    He won’t be playing tomorrow will he, so I don’t fully understand the issue here?
    The issue is we were told by Scott that we’d be signing players that had been playing recently so why wouldn’t he be playing tomorrow James?
    Agreed, but I never listen to what these people say with any great expectation that it’ll happen. 
    I think we’re living in cloud cookoo land if we expect top quality, match fit players, who are better than what we have, to be queuing up to join Charlton, sadly. I wish they were, but they’re not. 
  • Options
    edited January 6
    Chunes said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Croydon said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Because January loans should be coming in ready to hit the ground running, not needing a month to get up to match fitness. This is a truly bizarre bit of business imo
    Of course, but for all our January signings to be match fit and ready to start matches is an unrealistic expectation in our current position. Sorry. 
    Both Scott and Appleton said they only wanted players who were fit and could make an immediate impact. If that's an unrealistic expectation, don't say it. 
    I agree. 100%. But I think there’s a certain level of nativity required in order to believe them. 
  • Options
    Must be such an easy job as a man city scout. You just say a name of some random player to Sheikh Mansor and then he goes and buys him. 
  • Options
    Surprised the standard YouTube video hasn’t been posted yet. Bakinson doesn’t seem to have one. https://youtu.be/a_SlFtZMyr8?si=6oSGslq7ymhnrsiS
  • Options
    edited January 6
    Chunes said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Croydon said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Both Scott and Appleton said they only wanted players who were fit and could make an immediate impact. If that's an unrealistic expectation, don't say it. 
    I agree. 100%. But I think there’s a certain level of nativity required in order to believe them. 
    It's not naive to expect them to follow through with their publicly stated strategy. 

Trust in club leadership is built on consistency between what they say and what they do.
    I agree, but until I’ve seen what they do I’ll take everything they say with a giant pinch of salt. 
    But I do agree with you otherwise. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Croydon said:
    JamesSeed said:
    I disagree entirely when it comes to loan options. 

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Croydon said:
    JamesSeed said:
    But that was the expectation we were given.
  • Options
    At this stage of the season I can't see the point of bringing in a loan player that isn't match fit.
    We need them to make an immediate impact. 
  • Options
    Doesn't appear to be a picture of fitness so probably signed to keep Chuks and Myles company in the physio suite.