Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

++Lewis Fiorini signs on loan from Man City++

Comments

• Options
    He is a very good player and better than League One level. He wouldn’t be available to us if he hadn’t had recent injury issues.
    But why not? We've had very good loanees in the past who didn't have injury issues. Plus we were lead to believe that Appleton was the master of top loans. 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Good manc lad though according to Apples, so we’ll be alright 
    Who is Scottish…
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    He is a very good player and better than League One level. He wouldn’t be available to us if he hadn’t had recent injury issues.
    But why not? We've had very good loanees in the past who didn't have injury issues. Plus we were lead to believe that Appleton was the master of top loans. 
    Because he was on loan in the championship last season and done well so if it wasn’t for injuries he’d be back playing there.
  • Options
    edited January 7
    Chunes said:
    Because he was a very solid midfielder in the Championship pre- and post-injury.

Look at the other midfielder Blackpool had on loan last season: Charlie Patino. Rated similarly by Blackpool fans last year. Patino gets another Championship loan. Fiorini didn’t get any loan because he picked up a niggle early in the summer window.

Some of the best loans we’ve had recently were either out on loan for the first time (Rak Sakyi, Gallagher, Maatsen) or had had opportunities already but failed to impress at a higher level (Cullen).

If you want to compare Fiorini’s loan history, it’s actually most similar to Cullen’s. 
    - Cullen had 55 L1 appearances followed by 12 Championship appearances for a Bolton team that finished 21st. His loan wasn’t extended beyond January because he apparently wasn’t good enough.
    - Fiorini has had 39 L1 appearances followed by 13 Championship appearances for a Blackpool team that finished 24th. Despite being injured early in the season and only appearing 4 times, Blackpool saw enough to keep him around and he came back to impress in the last nine games of the season.
  • Options
    It’s a low risk gamble with very minimal downside - if he gets injured it’s no loss. We do need one more permanent midfielder in my opinion to de-risk the situation as much as we possibly can.

If it goes well and he impresses, there’s a chance Appleton can convince him and the club to make the move permanent. He clearly likes playing for Appleton or he wouldn’t have come to play for him for the third time.
  • Options
    edited January 7
    I understand your points and there is logic to what you're saying, although I do sense the undertone is a little bit of acceptance of this poor season - in that it doesn't matter if he gets injured or doesn't work out. I suppose I'm asking a little bit more from this transfer window than low-risk gambles given they have completely shat the bed this season. 
  • Options
    Are there any Prem players out injured for the rest of the season we can get on loan ?
    Haaland?
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Who is Scottish…
    No. He’s English. He plays for Scotland because of his paternal grandmother who is from Scotland. Both of his parents were born in England.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    cabbles said:
    Who is Scottish…
    No. He’s English. He plays for Scotland because of his paternal grandmother who is from Scotland. Both of his parents were born in England.
    Martin and Gail Platt apparently 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    I understand your points and there is logic to what you're saying, although I do sense the undertone is a little bit of acceptance of this poor season - in that it doesn't matter if he gets injured or doesn't work out. I suppose I'm asking a little bit more from this transfer window than low-risk gambles given they have completely shat the bed this season. 
    I want more too - definitely not acceptable what’s going on right now. But I don’t think we should change course so dramatically that we can’t try to take advantage of situations like this while also trying to fix the glaring issues we face.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    This is a signing, that they feel could be huge moving forward, and will pay a decent fee for in the summer, if the loan works. It is just match sharpness he needs. Personally, I think he could prove to be a good signing.. Time will tell!
    Hope you are right. To me this feels like Fiorini proving his fitness to audition for a championship loan move or permanent in the summer. When fit he’s above this level so if he does well I can’t see him sticking around even if we’ve had good conversations about it. Why don’t we just buy him now or at least put an option in the deal so we aren’t beaten to it by a championship club in the summer once he’s proven his fitness? 

I fear that if he does well we probably won’t be able to sign him. Feels like we are being used a little bit, usually that’s ok with a loan as if they’re doing well they can get you promoted/top 6 but here there isn’t a reward for us as he’ll just be getting us to mid-table 
  • Options
    edited January 8
    cabbles said:
    Who is Scottish…
    Is he Scottish in the same way that Tony Cascarino is/was Irish? Ie not at all
  • Options
    edited January 8
    Chunes said:
    I want more too - definitely not acceptable what’s going on right now. But I don’t think we should change course so dramatically that we can’t try to take advantage of situations like this while also trying to fix the glaring issues we face.
    This. I think this is seen as an opportunity to get some quality through the door for the future.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    This is a signing, that they feel could be huge moving forward, and will pay a decent fee for in the summer, if the loan works. It is just match sharpness he needs. Personally, I think he could prove to be a good signing.. Time will tell!
    If the loan works then I can’t help thinking he’ll get loaned for a season (or bought) by a championship club in the summer.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Chunes said:
    This. I think this is seen as an opportunity to get some quality through the door for the future.
    But it is another gamble on a player with a poor and recent injury record. 18 months out is a long time. And it's again saying to ourselves, 'If he can stay fit he'll be good.' As a club we have to stop playing this game. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Redhenry said:
    Chunes said:
    But it is another gamble on a player with a poor and recent injury record. 18 months out is a long time. And it's again saying to ourselves, 'If he can stay fit he'll be good.' As a club we have to stop playing this game. 
    It’s fine to play that game though if you buy quality around it like JCH, Coventry etc

Let’s see if we actually do that. 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    If the loan works then I can’t help thinking he’ll get loaned for a season (or bought) by a championship club in the summer.
    as ever Fiorini's future as well as the futures of all the other CAFC players and staff will depend on our situation, both financially and success or failure playing wise at the end of the season
  • Options
    edited January 8
    Chunes said:
    Redhenry said:
    Chunes said:
    It’s fine to play that game though if you buy quality around it like JCH, Coventry etc

With all our injury woes, year after year, I find this attitude from any Charlton fan.... surprising. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Every loan is a risk and every loan a team can get in January will always need a bit of tuning up to ensure match fitness. How many players go from regular League football on loan to another club? Have to be realistic about that side of things. Though, I concede of course that a "fringe" player from a Championship club who's getting the odd start and on the bench a lot is more match fit than Fiorini. I also agree it is a strange move: we so clearly need players to hit the ground running and yet we've signed someone who's been out for 18 months.

Watching the video @Scoham posted on page 5, there's obviously a decent player in there - better than a League One player - but who knows how he'll look after so long out. A couple of the first things on that vid where he's nutmegged someone and taken the ball close to a defender are things that you are most effective at pulling off when match fit... which he isn't. So that concerns me: is that a hallmark of his play? I don't know, but if it is, he won't be looking great straight away. If he's more of a passer (which is what I suspect, as some of those balls are very incisive), then he'll pass muster at first, if not end up looking very good. But the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Some of the comments on this thread are absurd though: "how did he pass his medical"; "we'll never see him play for us"; "why are we signing loans" - like, there is nuance. The easy ones to get done within five days of the window opening are usually loans like this. Fine, so long as there's more in the pipeline. If there isn't I'll be a bit worried.

Welcome Lewis. Hit the ground running please.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Redhenry said:
    Chunes said:

With all our injury woes, year after year, I find this attitude from any Charlton fan.... surprising. 
    What attitude? I simply said let's see if we actually buy some quality this transfer window, instead of just relying on bringing in undercooked options. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Redhenry said:
    Chunes said:

What attitude? I simply said let's see if we actually buy some quality this transfer window, instead of just relying on bringing in undercooked options. 
    The attitude that it's ever fine to sign injury prone players. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Redhenry said:
    Chunes said:

Where did I say it was fine to sign an injury prone player, and is Fiorini even injury prone? He is 21 and had one season last year which was disrupted badly through injury. Before that he played two full seasons.

It's not like we are buying Chuks Mk II, I would have an issue with that.

He clearly has some quality, and sounds like he could be a very decent player. I'd rather not buy in undercooked players if they are expected to go straight into the first team, but at the moment from our current options, and from who else we are being linked with it does not sound like he is.

Not saying it will happen, but for instance if we purchased both Coventry and Bate, what would your feelings be about bringing Fiorini in?

Sometimes it is fine to take punts on players. We wouldn't have CBT if we didn't.
  • Options
    edited January 8
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Redhenry said:
    Chunes said:

Where did I say it was fine to sign an injury prone player
    @FishCostaFortune To recount the conversation

I said we were again taking a gamble on a player with a poor injury record and we have to stop playing that game

You said it's fine to play that game if we buy other quality players

To your other question, firstly I don't think signing Bate or Coventry makes a difference since neither is a 10, and secondly even if they were, I just wish this club would stop signing people with poor injury records. After almost four successive years of season-defining injury crises, we should surely all be on board with that idea.
  • Options
    City aren't silly, Will Abbott has just started as Director of Performance after leaving Brighton. He has a good reputation so sensibly they're sending Fiorini down to us to complete his rehabilitation. Saves them the job and if his loan goes the way of Tedic he'll hardly set foot on the pitch anyway! 
  • Options
    People seem to miss the point. We need players who can start in the first team straight away. Not spend a month or more getting March fit.
    We need players than will help us now to get wins as we are in a relegation battle and with a run of tough games comming up 
    But no Charlton owners have togo if I jury hit players.
  • Options
    Apparently Fiorini translates as "Florins". The last UK florin was worth 24 pence or one tenth of a pound. So he is DEFINITELY a two-bob signing.