Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Travelling to the US

My son 17 is travelling to New York in March on a college trip.
Apart from a passport does he just need a non immigrant visa or is there anything else he will need to get in?
Cheers

Comments

• Options
    edited January 7
    cafcpolo said:
    Apart from a passport does he just need a non immigrant visa or is there anything else he will need to get in?
    Cheers
    ESTA
    Cheers. So not a Visa then?
  • Options
    Cheers
    Mines going next month.
    As mentioned, just an ESTA
  • Options
    The ESTA counts as a visa, make sure you get it from the official USA site - not one of those scammer sites. 
    https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta
  • Options
    Also get it done ASAP. Can sometimes take a little time to approve. Lasts for a year or two.
  • Options
    Probably does not apply to him but if one has visited Cuba after Jan 12 2021 you cannot get an ESTA you do need a Visa.
  • Options
    $21 and lasts for 2 years. 
  • Options
    edited January 7
    cafcpolo said:
    Also get it done ASAP. Can sometimes take a little time to approve. Lasts for a year or two.
    Shouldn’t be more than three days. I needed a new one in November and had it back within a few hours. They are valid for two years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafcpolo said:
    Cheers
    ESTA
    Cheers. So not a Visa then?
    To paraphrase Arnie ‘ESTA La visa baby’ 😆
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:
    Shouldn’t be more than three days. I needed a new one in November and had it back within a few hours. They are valid for two years.
    This. Done it Saturday morning, back in the afternoon
  • Options
    As long as he’s not studying or trying to work (and criminal record free) then ESTA is all he’ll need
  • Options
    My top tip is to not answer "yes" to ANY of the following questions (and particularly number 4):-

1. Do you have a physical or mental disorder; or are you a drug abuser or addict; or do you currently have any of the following diseases (communicable diseases are specified pursuant to section 361(b) of the Public Health Service Act): Cholera, Diphtheria, Tuberculosis infectious, Plague, Smallpox, Yellow Fever, Viral Hemorrhagic Fevers, including Ebola, Lassa, Marburg, Crimean-Congo, Severe acute respiratory illnesses capable of transmission to other persons and likely to cause mortality.
    2. Have you ever been arrested or convicted for a crime that resulted in serious damage to property, or serious harm to another person or government authority?
    3. Have you ever violated any law related to possessing, using, or distributing illegal drugs?
    4. Do you seek to engage in or have you ever engaged in terrorist activities, espionage, sabotage, or genocide?
    5. Have you ever committed fraud or misrepresented yourself or others to obtain, or assist others to obtain, a visa or entry into the United States?
    6. Are you currently seeking employment in the United States or were you previously employed in the United States without prior permission from the U.S. government?
    7. Have you ever been denied a U.S. visa you applied for with your current or previous passport, or have you ever been refused admission to the United States or withdrawn your application for admission at a U.S. port of entry?
    8. Have you ever stayed in the United States longer than the admission period granted to you by the U.S. government?
    9. Have you traveled to, or been present in Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia or Yemen on or after March 1, 2011? Also, have you traveled to or stayed in Cuba since January 12, 2021?
  • Options
    My top tip is to not answer "yes" to ANY of the following questions (and particularly number 4):-

1. Do you have a physical or mental disorder; or are you a drug abuser or addict; or do you currently have any of the following diseases (communicable diseases are specified pursuant to section 361(b) of the Public Health Service Act): Cholera, Diphtheria, Tuberculosis infectious, Plague, Smallpox, Yellow Fever, Viral Hemorrhagic Fevers, including Ebola, Lassa, Marburg, Crimean-Congo, Severe acute respiratory illnesses capable of transmission to other persons and likely to cause mortality.
    2. Have you ever been arrested or convicted for a crime that resulted in serious damage to property, or serious harm to another person or government authority?
    3. Have you ever violated any law related to possessing, using, or distributing illegal drugs?
    4. Do you seek to engage in or have you ever engaged in terrorist activities, espionage, sabotage, or genocide?
    5. Have you ever committed fraud or misrepresented yourself or others to obtain, or assist others to obtain, a visa or entry into the United States?
    6. Are you currently seeking employment in the United States or were you previously employed in the United States without prior permission from the U.S. government?
    7. Have you ever been denied a U.S. visa you applied for with your current or previous passport, or have you ever been refused admission to the United States or withdrawn your application for admission at a U.S. port of entry?
    8. Have you ever stayed in the United States longer than the admission period granted to you by the U.S. government?
    9. Have you traveled to, or been present in Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia or Yemen on or after March 1, 2011? Also, have you traveled to or stayed in Cuba since January 12, 2021?
    I know a girl that ticked yes for answer 4 by mistake and got her visa revoked. When she went to the U.S embassy they told her she would never be allowed in. Once you tick that box it’s game over.
  • Options
    tom_k said:

I know a girl that ticked yes for answer 4 by mistake and got her visa revoked. When she went to the U.S embassy they told her she would never be allowed in. Once you tick that box it’s game over.
    I'm sure I remember on the old Visa Waiver form (pre-dates ESTA) a specific question about membership of the Nazi party in the 1930s
  • Options
    CatAddick said:
    tom_k said:

I'm sure I remember on the old Visa Waiver form (pre-dates ESTA) a specific question about membership of the Nazi party in the 1930s
    Yes, it used to be on the early versions of the ESTA question list too.  I guess they have finally worked out that precisely 0.00% of applicants answered "Yes" to this question.  Probably because they were all dead.

I'd be interested to know what happens if anyone says they have been to Cuba, I mean, it's a holiday destination isn't it?

BTW, the US authorities have no easy access to data held on the UK PNC. An application would have to be made via Interpol on a case-by-case basis. 
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    CatAddick said:
    tom_k said:

Yes, it used to be on the early versions of the ESTA question list too.  I guess they have finally worked out that precisely 0.00% of applicants answered "Yes" to this question.  Probably because they were all dead.

I'd be interested to know what happens if anyone says they have been to Cuba, I mean, it's a holiday destination isn't it?

BTW, the US authorities have no easy access to data held on the UK PNC. An application would have to be made via Interpol on a case-by-case basis. 
    You cannot have an ESTA (it will be declined), and you would need to apply for a VISA in person at the US Embassy. Its a result of Trump making Cuba an official "state sponsor of terrorism" in 2021 (and Biden not reversing / preventing that decision it).
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Do not attempt to engage in humour with US Immigration officials.

I tried it once and accompanied with the look of complete disdain got the response "we already have enough comedians in the US".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafcfan said:
    iaitch said:
    Do not attempt to engage in humour with US Immigration officials.
    Indeed. It is also worth pointing out that a significantly high percentage of Americans don't do irony.

But I once wiled away an eternity with a very friendly passport control guy when I explained I was travelling down the Florida keys and he insisted upon giving me all his hot tips and directions including a hand-drawn map to his favourite seafood restaurant in Key Largo.  I am not so sure that the people in the queue behind me were very impressed.  (We used the restaurant and very nice it was too. I ordered bouillabaisse as a main course. When it arrived it was in an enormous bowl. I had been gradually working my way through it for 20 minutes or so when I found a large crab that I hadn't previously noticed.)
    Last time I flew to the US I had my Addicks shirt on, and likewise the very friendly Italian American immigration guy wanted a fifteen minute chat about football.  
  • Options
    If you know anyone in the West of Ireland for maybe an overnight stay, the Dublin area too, you can do all the immigration formalities (and presumably discover early if there’s a problem) before you fly to New York from either Dublin or Shannon, and stroll off at the other end.
    Gatwick to Shannon by Ryanair is stupidly cheap.
    Shannon to New York is seven hours or so.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    CatAddick said:
    tom_k said:

Tui have cancelled all 2024 bookings to Cuba and have stopped offering it as a destination, because of the effect it will have on travellers that then want to go to the US
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    CatAddick said:
    tom_k said:

Tui have cancelled all 2024 bookings to Cuba and have stopped offering it as a destination, because of the effect it will have on travellers that then want to go to the US
    Can thank Donald Trump for this
  • Options
    About 20 years ago a friend of a friend made the idiotic mistake of responding to a question about whether he has any dangerous objects in his case with a ‘joke’ along the lines of “oh, just a bomb but don’t worry about that”.

It was only a couple of years after 9/11. The bloke spent 24 hours being questioned by the authorities and was then refused entry into the country. 
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    CatAddick said:
    tom_k said:

Think the US regards Cuba as a rogue state. 
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    cafcfan said:
    CatAddick said:
    tom_k said:

Think the US regards Cuba as a rogue state. 
    Manuel Rocha answered no to all the other questions and now they are paranoid.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-67913465
  • Options
    We went to Florida in 98 (yes, just before that match !) and I didn’t put the villa address on the green forms because it was only allocated once we got to the local office.  Having queued for a while the miserable immigration female just sent us away to find more forms.  As a protest we sat on the hall floor to fill out the forms.  By the time I had finished the hall was empty and only one desk was open.  The guy was very friendly and wanted to chat but still sent my daughter off to an office by herself for more checks because her name had flagged on his computer.  She was 10 !