Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Franz Anton Beckenbauer RIP

2»

Comments

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    An elegant player one of the best midfielders in the world in his prime. As already mentioned Sir Alf wanted him nullified so instructed ‘Our Kid’ Booby Charlton to man mark him during the 1966 World Cup final which effectively reduced the match to 10 aside and the rest is history. 
    RIP the Kaiser.

It was working in 1970 as well until Ramsey took Charlton off to rest him for the semi-final! That didn't end well!
  • Options
    The man was class sheer class. 
    RIP Franz
  • Options
    Legend RIP.
  • Options
    One of the greats. RIP Der Kaiser.
  • Options
    edited January 8
    bobmunro said:
    RedChaser said:
    An elegant player one of the best midfielders in the world in his prime. As already mentioned Sir Alf wanted him nullified so instructed ‘Our Kid’ Booby Charlton to man mark him during the 1966 World Cup final which effectively reduced the match to 10 aside and the rest is history. 
    RIP the Kaiser.

It was working in 1970 as well until Ramsey took Charlton off to rest him for the semi-final! That didn't end well!
    No mate. Seem to recall I was in the Black Prince at Bexley watching that. We took the lead through Mullery and Bonetti replaced Banks in goal with a stomach problem. Uwe Seeler scored a loopy header and Gerd Muller the extra time winner for a 3-2 elimination 😫.
  • Options
    Rest in peace, a genuine football legend 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    bobmunro said:
    RedChaser said:
    RIP the Kaiser.

No mate. Seem to recall I was in the Black Prince at Bexley watching that. We took the lead through Mullery and Bonetti replaced Banks in goal with a stomach problem. Uwe Seeler and Gerd Muller scoring the extra time winner for a 3-2 elimination 😫.

That's exactly as I remember - but Ramsey assumed that England 2-0 was job done and even after Beckenbauer scored to make it 2-1 he took Charlton off. Beckenbauer then proceeded to control the game.

I remember every second of that match - and not for good reasons.
  • Options
    People and certainly the media, throw the label "legend" around far too easily for my liking but he was a genuine legend who would  have been a world class player in any era. What a player he was. 

RIP Der Kaiser. 
  • Options
    RIP, I gather his playing style would have appealed to me somewhat
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    RIP, I gather his playing style would have appealed to me somewhat
    Youd’ve loved him Leuthy, 100 times better than a clone of Nabby Sarr and Michael Hector combined. In fact I shouldn’t really be mentioning them in the same breath but you get my drift 😉.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One of the great plays of my time.
    Like the others he was a pleasure to watch and even though not England you could not help cheering  him on. 
    RiP.
  • Options
    The German Bobby Moore. Wonderfully calm and cultured player. RIP
  • Options
    There's always debate over all time greats, but in my time Beckenbauer, the two Bobby's (Charlton and Moore), Pele and later on Cryuff and Maradona were never in dispute. Sadly all gone now.

RIP Kaiser.
  • Options
    He was a cultured player. One of the best. RIP. 
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    A brilliant player and manager, and seemingly a very decent person.

A giant of the game and just about as famous as a person could have been throughout his career, deservedly so.

There's one hell of a team playing street football just down from the pearly gates.

RIP.
  • Options
    A fine, classy player and later a good manager too.

RIP Franz. You were a credit to the game and your country.
  • Options
    Class, Class, Class. RIP.
  • Options
    A great footballer and a great manager.

On a private level, not so much.
  • Options
    Amazingly six of the West German team from 1966 are living given there is just one player from the entire England 1966 squad still alive
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Amazingly six of the West German team from 1966 are living given there is just one player from the entire England 1966 squad still alive
    Often wondered how many of the Germans are still about; actually I think there’s three of the 1966 England squad apart from Geoff Hurst still alive, Terry Paine, Ian Callaghan and George Eastham. The first two played one match, Eastham didn’t get on the pitch at all.
  • Options
    Often wondered how many of the Germans are still about; actually I think there’s three of the 1966 England squad apart from Geoff Hurst still alive, Terry Paine, Ian Callaghan and George Eastham. The first two played one match, Eastham didn’t get on the pitch at all.
    I think five West Germans from the Final XI are still with us;

Willi Schulz
    Wolfgang Weber
    Karl-Heinz Schnellinger
    Wolfgang Overath
    Siegfried Held
  • Options
    Correct.