Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Amusing street names - Rue David Bowie inaugurated today.

My pal Brian Cowan has just told me that Rue David Bowie is being inaugurated in Paris today, a day which also marks Bowie's 77th birthday.

This reminded my of my favourite amusing street name, which I stumbled upon during my first honeymoon, near Longchamps in Paris in the early eighties.

Avenue Gordon Bennett

The street was named after James Gordon Bennett:
'James Gordon Bennett: The Eccentric Millionaire
Known as the first true playboy, the eccentric James Gordon Bennett was born in 1841 to an Irish mother and a Scottish father. His father owned the New York Herald Tribune newspaper. James, with his parents’ consent moved to Paris to head up the company’s European newspaper office. While there he promoted the Tribune by sponsoring a range of sporting events and exhibitions. In 1900 he sponsored the first ever international motoring competition for “The Gordon Bennett Cup”. It was intended to be a competition between national automobile clubs, or nations, and not individuals. The event was conceived as the equivalent of the yachting America’s Cup, which by pitting nations against each other in competition would stimulate and test new automobile technology. Interestingly, it is understood that he did not drive a car and never attended any of the Gordon Bennett Races. He died aged 77, virtually bankrupt, having spent an estimated $40 million during his lifetime.'

Sounds like he lived quite a life.

Anyone else have a favourite amusing street name?

Comments

• Options
    Cock Lane, EC1 
    Bellenden Road, SE15 
    Clitterhouse Road, NW2 
    Beaver Close, SE20 
    Helmet Row, EC1 
    Gropecunt Lane (lots of places in London and elsewhere) 
  • Options
    edited January 8
    Upper Butts in Brentford. (Made even more amusing by the famous female newsreader who used to live at number 1.)
  • Options
    edited January 8
    cafcfan said:
    Upper Butts in Brentford. (Made even more amusing by the famous female newsreader who used to live at number 1.)
    Yes, I shared a taxi with her on the way home once when I lived in Chiswick!
  • Options
    edited January 8
    I used to rent a flat in a small lane called simply "Backsideans", as far as I know the only one in the country. Opinions differ regarding its pronunciation.
    I've since moved and my house is on the High Street. A bit weird really, given it's at the bottom of a hill.
  • Options
    Fanny Hands Lane….Ludford Lincolnshire.
  • Options
    edited January 8
    We have a AC/DC Street (Calle AC/DC)  here in honour of the band and also a Calle Maria Juana which is a popular place for smokers.
  • Options
    BUTTS PASSAGE , just off Eltham

• Options
    Minge Lane
  • Options
    Letsby Avenue (S.Yorks Police, Sheffield)

Bell End (Wollaston, Northants)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pennis Lane, Fawkham
  • Options
    A road in Manchester, Levenshulme if I remember correctly, is called The Street With No Name. 
    Evidently it genuinely has no name! 
  • Options
    Pratts Bottom, between Bromley and Orpington.
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    Letsby Avenue (S.Yorks Police, Sheffield)

Bell End (Wollaston, Northants)

Isn’t Letsby Avenue in Norwich?
  • Options
    There's a Lewisham Strasse in the centre of Berlin, and yesterday, I discovered there is a Calle Moby Dick in Malaga.
  • Options
    Titty Ho in Northamptonshire cannot be bettered
  • Options
    Between Chelsfield and Knockholt to be precise Elfs 
  • Options
    edited January 9
    Not a street but a place in Japan 
  • Options
    Pilot Knob Road - Minnesota, USA.
  • Options
    Tom Tit Lane (Maldon?)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dumb woman's lane in udimore
    Crazy lane in Sedlescombe 
  • Options
    Between Chelsfield and Knockholt to be precise Elfs 

Apologies, you're correct.

@clb74 lives there now I'm told.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Tom Tit Lane (Maldon?)
    Excuse the lycra
  • Options
    Thong Lane, near Gravesend 
  • Options
    There’s a Transfer Road in Penang, Malaysia, and there’s a Harris Road in Bexleyheath. 
    Spooky. 
  • Options
    My aunt has lived there for over 50 years. Very nice.

How about....

• Options
    edited January 10
    My aunt has lived there for over 50 years. Very nice.

How about....

This always makes me smile when I'm in Sweden, you're used to this by now I imagine.