Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

JPR Williams RIP

Comments

• Options
    RIP Boyo.  Another sporting legend gone.
  • Options
    Arguably the best there's ever been. Certainly the greatest London Welsh player of all time. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/67912287

• Options
    Dr JPR Williams, never a great fan of Rugby, but he was one of my sporting heroes. Thanks for the memory
  • Options
    Born in Bridgend where he started his career. A legend round here. 
  • Options
    Part of the greatest Wales side ever and a superb Lion. Also involved in the 'greatest try' of course.

RIP JPR
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    One of Wales greatest players. RIP.
  • Options
    An iconic player, with wonderful skills, we may never see his like again.

RIP.
  • Options
    Legend is an overused word in sport but JPR, both for Wales and the British Lions, truly was.  

Wouldn't get away with this tackle these days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw1nhfVohfs

Talented tennis player too in his youth.

RIP JPR
  • Options
    Having played a lot of Rugby in the 60s and 70s I can say that JPR was a superb player and one of my heroes. RIP you warrior. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP JPR
  • Options
    He was once a guest speaker at an Annual Conference I attended. Spoke really well & great anecdotes of the Lions tour in the 70's.

RIP
  • Options
    Greatest no.15 of the amateur era ... stylish and humble.  RIP.
  • Options
    Tough and absolutely fearless……one who you would want in the trenches any day of the week.
    Always knew he was on the pitch as he was never far away from being involved in the action.
    Yes……something of a one off and humble as they come.
    RIP……JPR……RIP
  • Options
    RIP JPR
    The greatest Full Back we've ever seen.

• Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Genuinely a rugby legend. RIP

• Options
    RIP JPR
  • Options
    Tough and absolutely fearless……one who you would want in the trenches any day of the week.
    Always knew he was on the pitch as he was never far away from being involved in the action.
    Yes……something of a one off and humble as they come.
    RIP……JPR……RIP
    They broke the mould

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 9
    Sad to hear this.

His daughter Annie was my physio while I was recovering from injury some years ago. A real chip off the old block....at one point she was in the world top 10 of women triathletes and also played hockey for Wales. She said her Dad only suffered one nasty injury whilst on tour to NZ with The British Lions and remained fit after playing (unlike a lot of ex-top sports stars). Being a surgeon, he would routinely stitch his own cuts pitch-side or at half-time. Can you imagine that now? 
  • Options
    Very sad, a wonderful player to watch RIP
  • Options
    RIP. A great.
  • Options
    RIP 
  • Options
    First rugby players name I ever knew.
    Absolute legend.
    RIP ♥️
  • Options
    Part of , the most important part of the finest Rugby team to come from the five nations. Wales of the early 70's played some beautiful rugby. They made the game exciting. As an England supporter
    Envied the Welsh that team.
    RIP  JPR Williams.
  • Options
    It’s never easy to see your childhood idols die
    RIP JPR
  • Options
    a real Corinthian, junior tennis champion, medical doctor, mountaineer,  first Wales cap at 19, a member of three terrific teams, London Welsh, under John Dawes one of the most innovative and successful amateur clubs ever, the all conquering Wales of the 1970s and the first competitive British and Irish Lions sides for decades which was made up mostly of the powerful Welsh XV 

another one who seemed beyond age and mere mortality, always think of him as a very hard but fair young Rugby master .. too young to go at my age, 74 .. R I P  J P R
  • Options
    JPR at the start and finish of one of the memorable tries by the greatest Barbarians team in the greatest Rugby Union match of all time.
    51 years ago and always thrilling to see highlights of this game.

Brilliant try by the great man.

Also, I had forgot just how good David Duckham was, who we sadly lost last year.
  • Options
    The best rugby union full back ever ..he had everything as a player ..so sad to see him leave us RIP