Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Daniel Kanu: One of Our Own who deserves success

2»

Comments

• Options
    I personally think he has loads of potential but it's just a tad to early yet for League 1.

• Options
    In the days of Curbs, DK would have been signed up on a 5 year deal and nurtured through the loan system until he was ready. 

Anyone remember Bowyer on loan and scoring loads in a cup match somewhere. 

Parker on loan to improve his tackling and discipline. 

And numerous other midfielders and defenders. 

Sadly, we don’t have the owner/manager/coaching set up that considers the long term future of CAFC. 
    It’s all about buying the club for £1 and selling the best players for big money to turn a profit. 
  • Options
    In the days of Curbs, DK would have been signed up on a 5 year deal and nurtured through the loan system until he was ready. 

Sadly, we don’t have the owner/manager/coaching set up that considers the long term future of CAFC. 
    It’s all about buying the club for £1 and selling the best players for big money to turn a profit. 
    Parker yes, but Bowyer never went on loan, and was a regular in the Championship at 18. 

That's a bit unfair, as the big problem is that we're in the 3rd division, and thus anyone decent will want/need to move on to a higher level. We have plenty of kids signed up on long deals, I don't know why Kanu isn't one of them.
  • Options
    He's the best option we have to play that target man role at the minute, which highlights the dire need for someone in the door.

Going forward, he'd be a great back-up/alternative to Alfie May.
    I 100% agree we need a senior and more physically imposing striker in for at least the rest of the season (and hopefully more long term than that, assuming we will lose Leaburn in the summer), but I don't think Kanu should be considered just an alternative to May. I think they can play as a pair as well. If we're needing to go a bit longer and want someone to play with their back to goal and really hold the ball up with clobbering centre halves climbing all over them then Kanu isn't the man. However, if we can dominate possession so we aren't playing long too much and want to play with a high press he and May can work as a pair. They're both mobile, energetic, and both make excellent runs off the ball, but they don't seem to get in each other's way by making the same runs at the same time. As a pair they are a handful for defences at this level, as long as we are on top in midfield.

Hopefully with the additions to the midfield, L Watson seemingly back in consideration, and perhaps one or two still to come back from injury too, I think we should win the midfield battle a bit more often now and we should also have players who will spot and find some of those runs May and Kanu make. I don't necessarily think we should make May and Kanu plan A, but I think it can maybe be Plan B. Kanu has competed and contributed when he's been called upon this season and I think he deserves more opportunities here rather than signing too many senior strikers and sending him back on loan again.
  • Options
    edited January 17
    I have been promoting Daniel Kanu for a few  years now after hearing about his scoring talents from his school days in Dartford and playing for Kent school teams.
    Trevor Hand (Ralfie Hand's dad) told me about his skill as Ralfie played in the same kent team. 

He is a bright lad who has had to become more than a goal scorer. Kanu is getting bigger and stronger and will keep improving. At 19 last November his time is now to be involved, either starting or off the bench.
    Thanks to Bartramblitz for sharing and showing Daniel's dedication.

• Options

Except:

a) the current lot bought us for £10-12M and 

b) having scored 45 goals for the U18s we were lucky he signed at all and I am sure his agent would have told him 2 years was long enough in case a very big club came along. We wouldn't have had many bargaining chips at the time.
  • Options
    edited January 17
    He's the best option we have to play that target man role at the minute, which highlights the dire need for someone in the door.

I 100% agree we need a senior and more physically imposing striker in for at least the rest of the season (and hopefully more long term than that, assuming we will lose Leaburn in the summer), but I don't think Kanu should be considered just an alternative to May. I think they can play as a pair as well. If we're needing to go a bit longer and want someone to play with their back to goal and really hold the ball up with clobbering centre halves climbing all over them then Kanu isn't the man. However, if we can dominate possession so we aren't playing long too much and want to play with a high press he and May can work as a pair. They're both mobile, energetic, and both make excellent runs off the ball, but they don't seem to get in each other's way by making the same runs at the same time. As a pair they are a handful for defences at this level, as long as we are on top in midfield.

Hopefully with the additions to the midfield, L Watson seemingly back in consideration, and perhaps one or two still to come back from injury too, I think we should win the midfield battle a bit more often now and we should also have players who will spot and find some of those runs May and Kanu make. I don't necessarily think we should make May and Kanu plan A, but I think it can maybe be Plan B. Kanu has competed and contributed when he's been called upon this season and I think he deserves more opportunities here rather than signing too many senior strikers and sending him back on loan again.
    That’s fair, they can and definitely have worked well together on a couple of occasions this season. 

It’s not that I don’t rate Kanu, I’m only hoping he doesn’t get overworked while still a teenager against grizzly third tier centre backs. The occasional fill in is fine but too much playing time there might do more harm than good.

No need to force anything out of him at this stage if we really don’t need to - Alfie isn’t exactly young and if we have a ready made replacement ready to go in DK, all the better.
  • Options

And successor.
  • Options

That’s fair, they can and definitely have worked well together on a couple of occasions this season. 

It’s not that I don’t rate Kanu, I’m only hoping he doesn’t get overworked while still a teenager against grizzly third tier centre backs. The occasional fill in is fine but too much playing time there might do more harm than good.

No need to force anything out of him at this stage if we really don’t need to - Alfie isn’t exactly young and if we have a ready made replacement ready to go in DK, all the better.
    Agreed. Hopefully we get a senior striker, can get Aneke fit soon and nurse him through the rest of the season. Then Kanu can be 4th of 4 and rotated in and out or used off the bench as best suits each match. Given we're now just trying to make sure we don't get sucked into a relegation scrap and build some momentum for next season I think that will be good enough between now and the end of the season and gives Kanu a fair chance to stake a claim to be part of next season's plan.
  • Options
    Kanu has matured and came back from his loan at Southend a player who looks determined to succeed and looks like he can control his body much better to be a physical threat to opponents. He has really improved and I really want him to stay long term and do well. I think he’s got a fantastic future ahead of him.

He might start to force his way to being ready to play for us regularly, especially if he continues with the effort he’s shown each time he has played. However, I do feel for his development, he would probably be better learning more back at Southend for a couple more months or so, playing every week, going to horrible little places, and understanding the game and requirements even more than he has shown he does now.

Then, next season he could really play a proper part in the team. It’s an exciting future for him and only wish Kanu the very best and hope he stays with us for years to come yet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

That cup match was with us! A hat trick away at premier league Wimbledon in a 5-4 win
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Kanu has matured and came back from his loan at Southend a player who looks determined to succeed and looks like he can control his body much better to be a physical threat to opponents. He has really improved and I really want him to stay long term and do well. I think he’s got a fantastic future ahead of him.

He might start to force his way to being ready to play for us regularly, especially if he continues with the effort he’s shown each time he has played. However, I do feel for his development, he would probably be better learning more back at Southend for a couple more months or so, playing every week, going to horrible little places, and understanding the game and requirements even more than he has shown he does now.

Then, next season he could really play a proper part in the team. It’s an exciting future for him and only wish Kanu the very best and hope he stays with us for years to come yet.
    Hoping this scenario will be a similar path for Zach Mitchell who has been ever present in matches at Colchester since his loan began. 
  • Options
    I like Kanu. Knows here the goal is and has a bit of grit about him.
  • Options
    I have to admit I had my doubts about him, but I think he deserves his chance, but that being said, he does look better when he comes off the bench.

Me personally I would prefer we only signed the 1 forward this year, and keep Kanu on the bench as an impact.. 

He gets himself in to good positions, decision making not quite there but that will come, for example, and Peterborough, when Steed was in no mansland, I think he could have shoot first time. But suppose with confidence and experience that will come
  • Options
    Great post @BartramBlitz

• Options
    I think he will succeed. It is unfortunate that this crap season hasn't allowed us to play him how we should, off the bench. But he will still have learned a lot from it. The lad will score a lot of goals and here's hoping many of them will be for us. I think next season will be the one when he comes of age.
  • Options
    But what about a new contract?
  • Options
    Love a home-grown striker but to me he looks Sunday league quality when on the ball. I’ve never seen a player that’s such a quality finisher but seems almost completely useless with the ball at his feet. 

Certainly needs to work on his control and composure when dribbling, he’s already improved with his hold-up play. Hopefully he goes out on loan again.
  • Options
    edited January 18
    Love a home-grown striker but to me he looks Sunday league quality when on the ball. I’ve never seen a player that’s such a quality finisher but seems almost completely useless with the ball at his feet. 

Certainly needs to work on his control and composure when dribbling, he’s already improved with his hold-up play. Hopefully he goes out on loan again.
    I suppose you could say that's what he was working on during his day off when I saw him yesterday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 18
  • Options
     He's very talented and with  better service he'll get a lot of goals before he (inevitably) leaves . Hope he sticks around for a long time.
    Thanks for this item, I think that most of our players would come over well and there would be less negativity about them (on this and other sites) if we knew more of their personalities. 

• Options
    Great thread for a great player. Love him