Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Where Charlton rank for different stats so far this season…

Goals scored per match: 8th
Goals conceded per match: 21st
Average possession: 5th
Clean sheets: 21st

Expected goals: 7th
Shots on target per match: 4th
Big chances total: 9th
Big chances missed total: 17th (8th best)
Accurate passes per match: 7th
Accurate long balls per match: 8th
Accurate crosses per match: 20th
Penalties awarded: 3rd
Touches in opposition box: 3rd
Corners: 5th

Expected goals against: 7th (18th best)
Interceptions per game: 21st
Successful tackles per game: 10th
Clearances per game: 15th
Possession won final third: 13th
Penalties conceded: 12th
Saves per game: 3rd

Fouls per game: 18th
Yellow cards: 5th
Red cards: 24th

Comments

• Options
    3rd in the Saves per game...says it all really about our leaky defence.
  • Options
    @Callumcafc Very interesting. Any chance you could provide some analysis behind this data. Obviously, shows we are conceding too many goals etc
  • Options
    edited January 22
    Good stuff. 

Shared some stats pre-season about the clean sheet records of teams that have been promoted in the automatics. From memory, they averaged a clean sheet in around 40% of their games. Last season, I think we averaged something like 12%. So a massive increase in defensive strength was needed in order to have a better season this year. Where was that increase supposed to come from? Other than the signing of Jones, no other reasonable defensive improvements were made. (And that one is looking questionable now). 

So once again, we ended up with an easily top-half/top-six attack and a relegation-level defence. 
  • Options
    ...last 4 seasons of our 'clean sheet wins'
    2020-21 14
    2021-22 14
    2022-23 7
    2023-24 2 (so far)

How much are the royalties?
  • Options

I don't understand these two stats
  • Options
    edited January 22
    27 games… Wins: 7… Position: 16th.

All that really matters.
  • Options
    I like stats but not in football. Not many stats matter in football: how many times you stick the ball in the onion bag compared to your opponent during a game and your position in the league table - and that’s about it. On those two stats, we don’t look very clever this season (and for many in recent years).
  • Options
    Average possession: 5th

the most pointless stat
  • Options
    edited January 22
    MrOneLung said:

I don't understand these two stats
    Of the “big chances” we’ve created, we’ve missed the 8th least. The rankings I was looking at places the most wasteful team at 1st and the most efficient at 24th.

Similarly with xG against, the team who is giving up the most was ranked 1st and the least was 24th.

By the same token, being third in “saves per game” is not, in my opinion, a good thing so could’ve noted that down as us being 22nd best.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 22
    @Callumcafc Very interesting. Any chance you could provide some analysis behind this data. Obviously, shows we are conceding too many goals etc
    On first glance…

- we’re good at scoring goals, being 3rd in stats like touches in the opposition box is very encouraging as far as our attacking output is concerned, we can cut through other teams with relative ease.

- we’re shit at stopping the oppo from having shots at our goal (3rd most shots saved in the division is abysmal) and the oppo are scoring mostly through sheer volume of shots, rather than us being carved open on a regular basis.
  • Options
    SOTF said:

All that really matters.
    Obviously you don’t get points for anything else & no one said otherwise. Always find this kind of response to a stats thread strange.

If you don’t want to worry yourself about anything other than wins and losses, feel free. Others will continue their analysis in an attempt to understand why we’re winning or losing.

”Don’t be bad” isn’t an effective strategy for improvement.
  • Options
    7 wins from 27 league games. 5/21 under Appleton (24% win rate) 12 points from a possible 45 (Last 15 games) 18 from the first 12 games.

3 league clean sheets from 27. No clean sheets in the last 15 games. Worst set of shutouts at this stage of a season since 1979/1980 (44 years) when the club got relegated from the old Second Division under Andy Nelson

No league wins in 9. Worst run in the league since 2019 in the Championship (11 games)

No wins in 11 in all competitions. Worst run in all competitions as per 2019 above 

1 away win in 13 league games 

Least amount of points at this stage of a season in the 10 seasons we have been in league one

Worst position in League One at the stage of a season in the 10 seasons we have been in League One 

• Options
    Interesting data thank you for pulling this together.
    Apart from the more obivious  , we are 20th for accurate crosses. we always seem to delay a cross until their defence is in place or quite frequently fail to cross at all just go back to halfway iine or worst to our keeper
  • Options
    SOTF said:

All that really matters.
    Obviously you don’t get points for anything else & no one said otherwise. Always find this kind of response to a stats thread strange.

If you don’t want to worry yourself about anything other than wins and losses, feel free. Others will continue their analysis in an attempt to understand why we’re winning or losing.

I like data. But I don’t see anything insightful and I have a personal pet hate for xG.

Football has too many variables and comes down to individual moments in a split second. The truth is we’re not good enough in those crucial moments.

Hundreds of managers lose their jobs every year with access to exactly the same stats. That’s telling.
  • Options
    Accurate crosses per match: 20th

And that's with Cory in the team. Crossing isn't his greatest strength, but he had put over a few decent one. The lack of a target man in the middle hasn't helped, but both full backs have been weirdly reluctant to get forward, to overlap and get crosses in. 
  • Options
    SOTF said:
    SOTF said:

All that really matters.

I like data. But I don’t see anything insightful and I have a personal pet hate for xG.

Football has too many variables and comes down to individual moments in a split second. The truth is we’re not good enough in those crucial moments.

Hundreds of managers lose their jobs every year with access to exactly the same stats. That’s telling.
    The stats though do help to explain why over the course of a season we're way off the pace.

That our keepers are making the 3rd most saves is awful. It's the sort of stat you'd expect to see from a small club being mauled every week, like the promoted sides in the PL this season.

If our Interceptions are at 21st, i.e. the 4th worst, that shows how ineffective our defence AND midfield are at stopping attacks, despite Dobson flinging himself around.
  • Options
    edited January 22
    Interesting stats. 

I presume 24th for red cards is actually the best (so 1st will be the most red cards) as I can’t think of any red cards so far this season. Strong possibility I have forgotten some sending offs though. 
  • Options
    Interesting stats. 

I presume 24th for red cards is actually the best (so 1st will be the most red cards) as I can’t think of any red cards so far this season. Strong possibility I have forgotten some sending offs though. 
    It just feels like we only have 10 men 
  • Options
    edited January 23
    Interesting stats. 

We are one of two teams yet to pick up a red card this season. The other is Peterborough.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Essentially the thing that lets us down time and again is the defence and our inability to not concede goals, and that's incredibly obvious by these numbers. 

We're also shit at interceptions, which is interesting as that's something that's usually down to players stepping up and taking the ball, especially defensive midfielders and defenders, particularly fullbacks. So they're either out of position defensively to make an interception, or too busy standing off and not challenging the ball (tackles per game and fouls don't seem to point to that) 

xG against suggests a lot of the goals scored against us are either absolute worldies, or things that should be saved due to low xG rates. 
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    3rd in the Saves per game...says it all really about our leaky defence.
    And…
    Expected goals: 7th
    Shots on target per match: 4th
    Big chances total: 9th
    We’re all over the shop. End to end. No control. 
  • Options
    I'd love to see a goals scored from set pieces stat for the last 4/5 years. Can't imagine anyone is as bad as us in the EFL.
  • Options
    lies, damned lies and statistics .. the only important stats are goals scored v goals conceded and points gained .. still an interesting post though
  • Options
    Just reads like the stats of a soft team full of wimps which it is.

Said from the start we had one of the weaker defensive options in the division and I was Lol'd into oblivion. Hopefully Gillesphey is the real deal as Jones has been non-existent the last few games, Ness is average and Thomas has worryingly, been our best defender.

I suspect these attacking stats will plummet as the season goes on as a lot of that was down to Corey probably. 
  • Options
    edited January 24
    After last night, Charlton now have the second most goals conceded of all League One teams this season (44).

Only the team in 24th (Fleetwood) have conceded more (48).

Even if we were to concede no further goals between now and the end of the season, it would still be more goals conceded than three teams shipped in the whole of last season:

- Ipswich, 35
    - Sheff Wed, 37
    - Bolton, 36