Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cup of tea

2»

Comments

• Options
    Some of the comments are quite witty.
    But seriously why is there a need to wind up an entire nation over something the whole world knows we do best and is so basic that Fenlandaddick can describe the correct method in one sentence?

"the whole world knows we do best"
    Ffs don't tell an Indian that. ;)
    They grow some fine tea but thats where it ends, their milky concoction is a second rate brew. 
    I'm off to India in few weeks so I will try to turn things around for them. 

Ask where you can get a decent chicken tikka masala while you're there.
  • Options
    But seriously why is there a need to wind up an entire nation over something the whole world knows we do best and is so basic that Fenlandaddick can describe the correct method in one sentence?

They grow some fine tea but thats where it ends, their milky concoction is a second rate brew. 

Or a Balti. 
  • Options
    Don't Americans possess kettles  ?  What's all this heating a cup in the microwave business. 

And I really dont care if its milk first or not. Obviously milk last as you can then add how much you need depending on how much water etc but it's no biggie. 
    No they don't seem to! I remember going to work in America for a few days. To make me feel welcome they presented me with some tea bags, saying they know how much the English love tea (they only had a coffee pot). Went on the kitchen, no kettle! Never even thought about using the microwave. How long would you give it? would the cup be touchable if it got anywhere near boiling? 
  • Options
    Their voltage is lower so it takes longer to get water to boil. They dont have the patience.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Its safe to say we like Yorkshire Tea in our household!
    I always wondered what that bloke from KISS looked like without the makeup! 

KISS concert stopped as Gene Simmons falls ill in Brazil - Los Angeles Times
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    fadgadget said:
    seth plum said:
    ….and another thing, describing tea as ‘strong’ is used by a lot of people to quantify how milky or not it is.
    They are quite wrong.
    The strength of tea depends on the infusion process, tea before any milk is added should be a beautiful golden brown, something that can be judged by looking at the colour against the spoon, if it can’t be seen, or the tea is virtually black, it has brewed too long and all you taste is bitter tannin.
    Sainsbury’s gold label tea bags are the best incidentally.
    Fella where i work would always  , leave the bag in the cup for 10 minutes with hot water because he liked it strong and then top it up with 50% milk , i couldnt understand why , always looked like dish water .
    Of course each to their own taste, but that bloke is losing out big time when you consider tea made in the Northern European way is the best.

Coming from an Irish background I would like to suggest that the Irish are as equally passionate about a decent cup of tea as the British.
    Nah, we really are the only ones who make it properly with milk and in a pot. The rest of Europe doesn't get it-and their black tea blends are not for a proper brew. They assume the tea will sit in a cup in a bag or the infuser thing. When I worked on PG Tips at the ad agency the qualitative research described the role of tea in British society as "social glue". Brilliant summary I thought. I'd say that in every European country it's coffee that plays that role.
  • Options
    edited January 25
    I'll pay it out plainly, as there are some concerning comments in this thread.

Tea does not come in bags.
    Tea is drunk in a china cup
    Sugar is not an affront to tea, and is optional depending on taste requirements.
    Always stir clockwise.
    Tea leaves should always be read afterwards. If they are not at no point should the tea drinker leave the house that day.
    Cake should be eaten in the afternoon with a cup of tea from a cake stand, and at no other time should tea and cake be eaten.
    Mugs are for coffee drinkers.
  • Options
    I'll pay it out plainly, as there are some concerning comments in this thread.

Tea does not come in bags.
    Tea is drunk in a china cup
    Sugar is not an affront to tea, and is optional depending on taste requirements.
    Always stir clockwise.
    Tea leaves should always be read afterwards. If they are not at no point should the tea drinker leave the house that day.
    Cake should be eaten in the afternoon with a cup of tea from a cake stand, and at no other time should tea and cake be eaten.
    Mugs are for coffee drinkers.
    fascist! 
    its a hot drink, have it how you want!
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    fadgadget said:
    seth plum said:
    ….and another thing, describing tea as ‘strong’ is used by a lot of people to quantify how milky or not it is.
    They are quite wrong.
    The strength of tea depends on the infusion process, tea before any milk is added should be a beautiful golden brown, something that can be judged by looking at the colour against the spoon, if it can’t be seen, or the tea is virtually black, it has brewed too long and all you taste is bitter tannin.
    Fella where i work would always  , leave the bag in the cup for 10 minutes with hot water because he liked it strong and then top it up with 50% milk , i couldnt understand why , always looked like dish water .
    Of course each to their own taste, but that bloke is losing out big time when you consider tea made in the Northern European way is the best.

Coming from an Irish background I would like to suggest that the Irish are as equally passionate about a decent cup of tea as the British.
    Nah, we really are the only ones who make it properly with milk and in a pot. The rest of Europe doesn't get it-and their black tea blends are not for a proper brew. They assume the tea will sit in a cup in a bag or the infuser thing. When I worked on PG Tips at the ad agency the qualitative research described the role of tea in British society as "social glue". Brilliant summary I thought. I'd say that in every European country it's coffee that plays that role.
    And if i can add. Never ask a Lithuanian to make you a cup of tea.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This discussion has barely started on the water aspect of things.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    This discussion has barely started on the water aspect of things.
    Filtered water. Anything else ruins the delicate taste of the tips

• Options
    Plus points from the US Embassy for the humour.

• Options
    For someone who drinks so much of the stuff, my mother-in-law makes a fucking awful cup of tea. 
  • Options
    Plus points from the US Embassy for the humour.

Amen

• Options
    edited January 25
    during covid I got so bored I actually recorded how many teas I drank each day. Now of course it can fluctuate but I worked out on average I drink 7 cups a day. 

Also during covid because of boredom I started the world championship of throwing tea bags into cup from a particular distance (a tile square in my kitchen to the worksurface where the cup was positioned. probably around 6 or 7 feet i guess) I had myself representing various nations across the world. (i even did accents...badly and possibly offensive to some)
    There was qualifying rounds with lesser known nations competing to more world recognised nations in the proper major tournament. I was gutted when Great Britain lost in the semi finals. 
  • Options
    My MIL uses 1 tea bag for 3 cups

Fucking rancid
  • Options
    Took me about 15 years to get the Mrs to stop putting the milk in first.
  • Options
    during covid I got so bored I actually recorded how many teas I drank each day. Now of course it can fluctuate but I worked out on average I drink 7 cups a day. 

Also during covid because of boredom I started the world championship of throwing tea bags into cup from a particular distance (a tile square in my kitchen to the worksurface where the cup was positioned. probably around 6 or 7 feet i guess) I had myself representing various nations across the world. (i even did accents...badly and possibly offensive to some)
    There was qualifying rounds with lesser known nations competing to more world recognised nations in the proper major tournament. I was gutted when Great Britain lost in the semi finals. 
    Yeah. We did the teabag throwing sport too during lockdown.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Teabag. Dash of milk. Drink it with the bag still in the cup. Lovely. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Interestingly, I don’t drink tea anymore, it’s coffee for me.
    Why is that interesting?
    Superb. I'd defo be lol'in my own post with a comment like that.
  • Options
    Careful lads, we've already had a pavement dance over tea with this lot.  They see that as a victory, we of course see it as a lucky escape!
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    My MIL uses 1 tea bag for 3 cups

Fucking rancid
    Less about your MIL what's the tea like?
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Yeah. We did the teabag throwing sport too during lockdown.
    It is awesome. Something I did as a child but back then it was just a bit of entertainment, as an adult it was taken very seriously. Had nations written down with a leader board ( @thai malaysia addick . would understand) and even had the national anthem for each. My girlfriend at the time (one of many reasons why she left me) woke up and found me in the kitchen trying to sing along to the south African national anthem. Proper weirdo me. 
  • Options

I prefer chicken tarka masala……it’s like chicken tikka only otter.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:
    Took me about 15 years to get the Mrs to stop putting the milk in first.
    You put the milk in first if you’re making tea in a pot…….which I always do…..but not if you’re using a tea bag.
  • Options
    edited January 25
    Unless you got an awful cup/mug (only reason why you put milk in first) always hot water first. Leave it for a minute then add a dash of milk. Stir, leave for at least 4 minutes to make it golden brown. after that take the tea bag out but make sure you squeeze the bag before, then another stir and boom you got yourself possibly the best drink there is known to mankind. 

Edit: if using a pot then put hot water in first to warm the pot. Get rid of the water then add the tea with another batch of hot water. Sugar and milk added after poured. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    They are quite wrong.
    Just switched from Yorkshire Tea to Sainsburys Gold Label. Far better taste.
  • Options
    edited January 25
    Plug for Brew Tea. This is the proper stuff. Rolled leaves. They do tea bags, but they are for the tea understudies.
    https://www.brewteacompany.co.uk/