Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pre-season bets

edited August 2007 in General Charlton
Who's had what then? Me -

£10 us to win the league 13/2
£20 Wigan to get relegated 6/5
£5 e/w D Bent to top score in Prem 22/1
£10 with Watford fan that we finish above them
£10 with Gooner that we finish higher than they do

When all this lot comes in, priority on board my new yacht at the end of the season will go to Valley Gold members ;-)

Comments

• Options
    £10 e/w Darren Bent top goalscorer 20/1
    £20 Spurs finish 28 points or less than Chelsea, evens
    £20 Lisbie scores more than Iwelumo 6/1
    £20 Palace get a good shoeing on Sep 1st 1/100

Ok, the last two are made up.
  • Options
    I've had a monkey on Heath Hero not having a yacht come this this time next year!
    :o)
  • Options
    If past form is anything to go by that is a very safe investment!
  • Options
    Each year before the start of each season, a friend of mine (another Charlton supporter) and I draw up forecast tables for the Premiership and the three Football League divisions, guessing what will be the final league positions.

We allot points to ourselves according to placings to see which of us is the most accurate forecaster. Last season, my friend won by a big margin but I, alas, got it almost right on the one club that really matters, Charlton.

Like most people, I’m normally a hindsight person, great at pointing out where things went wrong after they’ve happened. But before last season, I was so angry at the new Charlton set-up that I wrote to the local press pointing out the lunacy of it all. And I was proved almost exactly right.

While my friend went for a comfortable position of 14th, I put Charlton fourth from bottom, one position off the relegation places. And even that was to prove optimistic about the lunacy taking place.

But what of the season about to start? I’ve just finished drawing up my guess tables to give to my friend before the Scunthorpe match. This time I confess I haven’t got a clue. We’ve got almost a completely new team and if Alan Pardew pulls off promotion, he’ll prove himself a wonderful manager indeed.

So where have I placed Charlton? I’ve put them eighth. My reasoning is that however talented a team, players take time to gel together. I just hope I am wrong this season. And I’ve applied a similar logic to another team, a Premiership team with a famous manager who has created an almost new team in a time span far shorter than Alan’s. I’ve put Manchester City third from bottom of the Premiership.

Richard Redden
  • Options
    So you wasn't proved exactly right, you were completely wrong !!

You had us surviving, and we got relegated !!!

I agree with you on Man City though

AFKA Bartram
  • Options
    LoOkOuT
  • Options
    Coral are giving 16/1 on Leeds going down (£5)
    1000/1 on Arsenal going down (£1)
    Then a Yankee on Chelsea, Wolves and MK Dons (£35 in total)
    West Ham to win the premier league without the big 4, 12/1 (£10)