Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kasey Palmer - racist abuse at Sheff Wed

Thought this was worth a thread…

Coventry played at Hillsborough twice in a week (league and cup).

Last weekend Palmer stopped the game and had the ref come look at a fan who was making racist gestures towards him, there’s pretty damning video evidence and I hope they’re dealt with swiftly.

Fast forward to the second game last night and Palmer plays again. Home fans decided they would boo in two instances: first the Coventry players took a knee before KO, booed by home fans and second, Palmer himself was booed when he touched the ball.

I’m frankly astounded and very disappointed that this is part of the game in this country in 2024.

Comments

• Options
    3 buttons: Agree. Disagree. Lol. Ideally. 
    Bartram out!
  • Options
    Typical Sheffield Wednesday fans 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    3 buttons: Agree. Disagree. Lol. Ideally. 
    Bartram out!
    Or a 4th button, Bartram Out
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scumbags, it’s why the rest of the country prefers the Blades.
  • Options
    Read a lot of the abuse from Sheff Wed fans on twitter after the first incident - They were claiming the abuse was his fault, as he'd been winding their fans up all game
  • Options
    Sadly it happens at all clubs. We try to put ourselves on a pedestal, but like all others, we have a element of dickheads in our ranks. 

Minorities always seem to have the loudest voices and will only get shut down if the majority of decent folk speak up and say they won't tolerate it. It's always amazed me how people seem to think that it's okay to shout out racist and homophobic abuse at a football match, as if it gives them some sort of immunity. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    But...that Ched Evans chant. I prefer simply to write off the entire city. Rotherham fans seem decent? 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    se9addick said:
    But...that Ched Evans chant. I prefer simply to write off the entire city. Rotherham fans seem decent? 
    I do find sweeping generalisations like this unhelpful - a bit like saying all men are rapists, or all (insert religion of choice) are bigots or terrorists.

I grew up in the 1950s-60s when casual racism truly was the norm for much of society, along with prejudice against many other minorities.  Thankfully we have progressed since then, but that is not to say things are now perfect.

We now have laws against racism, etc, and the numbers exhibiting those views openly in a football crowd are now sufficiently small that it should not be beyond the relevant authorities to identify and punish perpetrators.  Yes, ideally the crowd would police itself in these matters, but many of us would put our personal safety above the possible consequences of confronting a racist - and possibly violent - thug.  It might help decent fans if every club displayed prominently a phone number which could be discretely texted with the seat number of the perpetrator and a brief message such as "racist chanting" to help CCTV zoom in.

So my question is whether the police forces in towns where racism is openly expressed on the football terraces have a problem enforcing the law?  And does that problem lie within the police organisation, or within the management of the football club?
  • Options
    Read a lot of the abuse from Sheff Wed fans on twitter after the first incident - They were claiming the abuse was his fault, as he'd been winding their fans up all game
    Crap!!...(not you FA)...two wrongs don't make a right...no excuse for racist behaviour anywhere..
    Dont worry I quite agree mate...

Trying to justify the racists are just as bad as the racist scum - If the likes of Barry Bannan were trying to stop Palmer from reporting it to the Referee, then he needs reporting himself
  • Options
    I live in Yorkshire and Wednesday seem to be universally disliked by all other Yorkshire football teams fans. At least that’s my experience both before and after moving here. Regardless of that, it’s completely unacceptable behaviour from anyone. Hope they get absolutely caned for it. 
  • Options
    Double punishment for monkey gestures if you ask me.  1 for blatant racism and 2 for being so thick that you think in 2024 where everything is on camera for all to see you’ll get away with it!  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I live in Yorkshire and Wednesday seem to be universally disliked by all other Yorkshire football teams fans. At least that’s my experience both before and after moving here. Regardless of that, it’s completely unacceptable behaviour from anyone. Hope they get absolutely caned for it. 
    Also live in Yorkshire and can second that. Mind you, I’m near Leeds and everyone hates them as well!
  • Options
    Also live in Yorkshire and can second that. Mind you, I’m near Leeds and everyone hates them as well!
    I’m in Wakey.
  • Options
    Why is everyone so surprised?  They'll probably get a points increase.

In case no one has noticed, the world is full of knobheads of every political, social, sexual and racial demographic.
    True, but the original poster, and others are still allowed to be disappointed.
  • Options
    Agreed, the likes of Leeds and Barnsley despise them. 
  • Options

Last weekend Palmer stopped the game and had the ref come look at a fan who was making racist gestures towards him, there’s pretty damning video evidence and I hope they’re dealt with swiftly.

Fast forward to the second game last night and Palmer plays again. Home fans decided they would boo in two instances: first the Coventry players took a knee before KO, booed by home fans and second, Palmer himself was booed when he touched the ball.

I’m frankly astounded and very disappointed that this is part of the game in this country in 2024.
    It’s 2024 in most parts  of the world but stil a good few enclaves that are stuck in 1974. 
  • Options
    edited January 27

It’s 2024 in most parts  of the world but stil a good few enclaves that are stuck in 1974.
    But you can still pick them out, and deal with the problem, after all they are still wearing flares, mullets and Brut.
  • Options
    Not sure why, but I was under the impression you was up Shooters Hill way @ShootersHillGuru ?