Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rate our window - January 2024

124»

Comments

• Options
    Technically a minus score seems appropriate.
  • Options
    47 players used in all competitions so far this season for Charlton 

41 players is league games only 

25 players have made their debuts for Charlton this season (22 of those in the league)
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I said we'd best judge at the end of the season, but already a minus score seems a bit kneejerk, doesn't it?

Yeah, there's been some loan flailing. Andy Scott's loan record is genuinely scary. But the permanent signings have been wrangled into what looks a pretty decent outfit, and they're all contributing, even if probably the best signing of all was Nathan Jones' work after the window ended. 

Coventry, REG and Gillesphey have all made us look far better (yes, Gillesphey had a weaker game the other day but has been otherwise very good). Coventry and REG have if anything looked a level above this league and are exactly the sorts of signings we need to make. 

CBT leaving was seen as a big negative. Well, we've just signed someone who's not far off a CBT level attacker and a tenacious, skilful defender to boot. Dobson 'leaving' turned out to be a stay of execution, and one for the next transfer window to sort out. It seems a bit ridiculous to lump Wickham in with the window so I won't, but Ladapo...yeah. The loanees bring the score down, of course. But mitigated by the fact we ditched an equally useless loanee. Balance of karma restored (with Bakinson's plusses balancing Fiorini's minuses too).

This, spot on!
  • Options
    The end of the season is the time to really judge the January window but obviously you can see the improvement when we have a enthusiastic manager who can galvanise players at Sparrows lane and on match day.

You can also see the disappointments especially Freddie Ladapo who was talked up by so many fans on CL. The good strike at the valley looks like a one off but he may still get sharper before the 46 games or up.

Camará from the August window has had a frustrating time with injuries and we just haven't seen him at his best.

Because Andy Scott is now persona non grata because of his hiring of Michael Appleton, the decent signing are because of Nathan Jones influence and the shite ones are down to Scott which fits the narrative when a head coach is employed by the Technical director in situ and the underwhelming Micky Apples makes the words that he was the outstanding candidate look bad on the others interviewed !

End of season to have a 46 game review and many will leave but others like Coventry, Reg, Small, T. Watson ( Ramsey may end up better but we don't know until he is fit) Gillesphey etc and even Jones our erratic CB may have improvement in him (50/50 shout) 
    Edun is enthusiastic but ball control is poor.

So many debuts this season and we need a trimmer 25 man squad going forward- and going back went when out of possession!

Nightmare season but at the business end we can dream of better times ahead ( they couldn't have got much worse)
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    5/10. Given as we seem to have signed players who are not match fit and most definitely rusty. When we needed players whare up and running g from day 1. 
    None seem to be capable of playing the midfield creative role or the wing back role

I have not changed my mind since the above date.

• Options
    msomerton said:
    msomerton said:
    5/10. Given as we seem to have signed players who are not match fit and most definitely rusty. When we needed players whare up and running g from day 1. 
    None seem to be capable of playing the midfield creative role or the wing back role

You don't think Small can play wing back or that Coventry hasn't brought creativity to our midfield?
  • Options
    edited March 11
    fenaddick said:
    msomerton said:
    msomerton said:

You don't think Small can play wing back or that Coventry hasn't brought creativity to our midfield?

Small is a natural wing back or attacking back on the left and Tennai Watson was excellent getting forward against Cheltenham and made 3 excellent crosses in the 1st half, one was a sublime pass which Kanu turned into the goal with a deft touch and another was turned away for a corner.

Ramsey needs to get fit and prove his is better than Tennai Watson because if Nathan Jones believes TW is worth his place then that's fine by me.  

Coventry is looking like the upgrade we needed in the middle of the park and has played some sweet passes forward including the well weighted pass for Watson's accurate cross for Kanu's goal against Alfie's old club.
  • Options
  • Options
    So far I see Coventry as no better than Dobson other than being younger.
    Going forward Small has started to show some good performances, but in defense he still worries me, can be caught out of positionto often.
    But is still only 2 plays who are at least making a good showing. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    msomerton said:
    Going forward Small has started to show some good performances, but in defense he still worries me, can be caught out of positionto often.
    I only picked those 2 as they're the standouts. I'd say that Ramsay looked solid too and Bakinson provides runs that let other players' creativity shine. I actually think there's some gems in the players recruited, our squad is just far too bloated
  • Options
    All loans that have been brought in not impressed with.

Overall once again crap.

Trust better period is had in next transfer window.
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    Coventry has shown he can play alongside Dobson though, he’s an improvement over Fraser and Watson who were playing there earlier in the season.

Don’t you think REG and Gillesphey have added something? I wouldn’t want Ness playing as one of the wider CBs in the back three for example.
  • Options
    Sorry I do not think REG is doing well, Gillesphey another accident prone defender has too many of those games.
  • Options
    edited March 12
    I think Small is way too good for L1 but was clearly a Nathan Jones signing.  Ramsey looked decent in his 1(?) performance and again seems likely to be a Jones signing.

Fiorini so far, is a waste of wages as is Ward. Ladapo has shown very little to say he was a good signing although we desperately needed another striker at the time.

Bakinson an upgrade on what we had but a limited player. Ok for the squad but not a starter imo. He gives us something different.

Gillesphey is very error prone and cost a number of goals.

REG has surprised me to the upside a lot and is a very capable L1 CB with some ability going forwards too.  

Coventry if honest has not impressed me as much as he has others. Still I have high hopes but he doesn't look like a shoe in elite type player that I had hoped given the hype and outlay on him.

So overall I would say the window was a 5. 

Disappointing compared to the hype.  
  • Options
    6/10.

Positives - Coventry, Small, Ramsey & REG.

Jury out  - Camara & Ladapo (not fit enough to judge) Bakinson.

Negatives - all the rest.

But don't worry, we have the chance to do it all over again in June, July & August when the 7 loannees go back & another 6 or 7 players leave due to being out of contract. 
  • Options
    I think Small is way to good for L1 but was clearly a Nathan Jones signing.  Ramsey looked decent in his 1(?) performance and again seems clearly a Jones signing.
    Fiorini is a waste of wages as is Ward. 
    Bakinson an upgrade on what we had but a limited player. Ok for the squad but not a starter imo.
    Gillesphey is very error prone and cost a number of goals.
    REG has surprised me to the upside a lot and is a very capable L1 CB with some ability going forwards too.  
    Coventry if honest has not impressed me as much as he has others. Still I have high hopes but he doesn't look like a shoe in elite type player that I had hoped given the hype and outleigh on him.
    So overall I would say the window was a 5.  Disappointing compared to the hype.  
    I don't think Ramsey was clearly an NJ signing at all.  Firstly because the timing doesn't really fit and secondly he mentioned that Ramsey was on loan in one of his interviews which is incorrect of course. I'd expect him to be across that detail if it was his signing.

Scott has rightly taken a lot of stick on here but let's be fair.
  • Options
    Players often name the manager when giving reasons for signing, which makes sense as they want to play, but it's less clear to me who identifies them as targets, especially if that varies for each player. I'd just be guessing.

Poor recruitment has driven fans to identify Scott as the witch steering the broom, but  I'll let those truly in the know at the club decide if he needs sweeping out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And REG last few games has looked a level above this league 
  • Options
    I would look to sign Bakinson on a perm deal. He isnt what you call a "sexy" footballer but does get himself about and physically strong along with the shithousery he puts out there. He us just different to our other CMs at the moment. 
    He's a Pratley regen. We had the original in our last promotion squad. As long as he's not considered a regular starting option, a good man to have around perhaps yes 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I see Gillesphey has been tagged 'error-prone' by those in the know. A tag brought on by maybe one or two serious mistakes? But a tag, once acquired, which is fucking impossible to shake with our fans. You do know he's played pretty damn well in most of his appearances? 
    Maybe it’s a desire to find more to blame Andy Scott for?

A lot of the young players in Bowyer’s team would have been seen as error prone and not good enough until they developed and we grew as a team.

Gillesphey was part of Plymouth’s L1 title winning team, he’s one of those we need to give time to as he’s proven himself at this level. If we keep signing players and writing them off after a few games only to replace them then very few are going to appear to be good enough.

What Jones has done is show us that various players here aren’t as bad as they looked under Appleton - to the point where some are happy with Tennai Watson being part of the squad next season. Under Appleton he was one of those you wonder how he ever got a chance at this level. I trust Jones to work out who should be a starter, who are the squad players and who needs to go. Even then it won’t all happen in one window.
  • Options
    Wait, isn't this thread for showing off your double glazing?