Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Shirt Sponsorship 1993

Sorting old, mainly financial, papers in the museum today I came across this sponsorship sales document for what appears to be the 1993/94 season.

Assuming this was produced sometime in the 1992/93 season so after we'd lost the Woolwich sponsorship.

We had no sponsor when we went back to the Valley but eventually did a deal with Viglin.

We can only assume a similar brochure was produced for Viglin but this one is aimed at Unwins, 

Wikipedia tells us that 

"Unwins was a Kent-based chain of 381 off-licences selling alcoholic beverages, with outlets focused on London and the South East. Unwins was founded in 1843, and went insolvent on 19 December 2005. 200 of the former Unwin stores were subsequently sold to rival Thresher Group.

Comments

• Options
    *Viglen 
  • Options
    The pitch to Unwins was for £80k per year rising to £120k if we're promoted to the Premier League but reducing if we went down.

Such contingency changes would be normal business practice in a sponsorship deal

• Options
    My wife worked at the Unwins warehouse in Dartford as a chef in the canteen in the 1980’s - they were good employers 
  • Options
    Those contingent payments extended to a wide range of other possible scenarios.

In business terms perfectly sensible to build these in but in football terms they now, and even then, look slightly ambitious 
  • Options
    I Believe Unwins didn't go for it as they wanted us to play in pink shirts away from home on every fourth Saturday and wear odd coloured socks on midweek games.

We, of course, insisted that for away games we would wear shirts that said NoWins instead. 
  • Options
    I worked for Unwins for three Christmases while at Uni. The pay was OK and the discount excellent. 
  • Options
    Probably cheaper to sponsor us 30 years on @Swisdom will know 
  • Options
    Bought a Viglen computer based on their sponsorship. Went to their north London base to pick it up.
  • Options
    sholland said:
    My Uncle Colin Holland brokered the deal with Viglen, he was working as an electronics journalist and while meeting Viglen they mentioned they wanted some high profile exposure.

He knew Charlton Athletic FC were looking for a new shirt sponsor so made the suggestion to them, and as they say the rest is history.

He was working for Morgan Grampian or Miller Freeman at the time who a few people on here also have worked for I seem to remember.

I think it was about the time he was editor of 'What's New in Electronics'.

Another one of the good guys and fellow train traveler. Some times wonder how he would have written about the last ten years in valiants viewpoint.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    sholland said:
    My Uncle Colin Holland brokered the deal with Viglen, he was working as an electronics journalist and while meeting Viglen they mentioned they wanted some high profile exposure.

He knew Charlton Athletic FC were looking for a new shirt sponsor so made the suggestion to them, and as they say the rest is history.

He was working for Morgan Grampian or Miller Freeman at the time who a few people on here also have worked for I seem to remember.

Another one of the good guys and fellow train traveler. Some times wonder how he would have written about the last ten years in valiants viewpoint.

Something that often crossed my mind during the Roland Years was if Colin knew him or his company professionally. Colin passed away about 12 months before the takeover.

Colin did work for a number of years in Belgium for EE Times Europe and Embedded Systems Europe both offices based in Brussels which he visited very frequently.

• Options
    sholland said:
    sholland said:

Something that often crossed my mind during the Roland Years was if Colin knew him or his company professionally. Colin passed away about 12 months before the takeover.

Colin did work for a number of years in Belgium for EE Times Europe and Embedded Systems Europe both offices based in Brussels which he visited very frequently.

Heavily involved in the electronics industry in Belgium?  Are you sure that the Unwins sponsorship was the only time he influenced a Charlton deal?