Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thierry Small - one year option triggered and longer deal under discussion (p11)

Comments

• Options
    Can see the same situation developing with him as the bloke that went to Derby. He'll be in the shop window next season, negotiations will start too late and stall, and He'll be off next January or summer. Hope I'm wrong.
  • Options
    He is such a key player for us already. First half yesterday he was a constant threat down the left. He's actually a proper wing back, not a converted full back or winger. He makes the 352 actually work. Imagine we had 2 like him.
  • Options
    He is such a key player for us already. First half yesterday he was a constant threat down the left. He's actually a proper wing back, not a converted full back or winger. He makes the 352 actually work. Imagine we had 2 like him.
    Ramsay did look very promising before getting Charltoned with his fluke injury, hopefully after a preseason he'll be back up and running next season and we don't have to imagine.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Whoever said he was an upgrade on CBT - spot on. We look so much better down that side now
    I’m not sure you can really compare them to be honest. 

I would say Small is more ‘well rounded’, as in his attacking play is better than CBT’s defensive - but on the whole the reason we look better down that (or the right hand side) - is we have a much better manager and a more balanced team since January.
  • Options
    Yesterday, first half especially, there was a lot of CBT-esque 'wait I can have this full-back'. The cut-inside shots on his right foot aren't CBT level (yet) but everything else attacking-wise is comparable
  • Options
    I sat next to Thierry Small's cousin yesterday in the NW Quadrant. 
    Had a good chat with him and he told me that Thierry is very happy at Charlton and if a contract is offered he would be more than happy to sign.
    He has lots of friends and family in the South London area and Charlton would be perfect for him.
    So fingers crossed and all that.
    Excellent news
  • Options
    I sat next to Thierry Small's cousin yesterday in the NW Quadrant. 
    Had a good chat with him and he told me that Thierry is very happy at Charlton and if a contract is offered he would be more than happy to sign.
    He has lots of friends and family in the South London area and Charlton would be perfect for him.
    So fingers crossed and all that.
    To be fair, his cousin was hardly likely to tell you Thierry hates it here, think SE London is a shithole, and will jump at the first offer he has to get out of here again. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can't think of a better person than a former left back and now coach to polish the diamond.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    I can't think of a better person than a former left back and now coach to polish the diamond.
    Chris Powell coming back then?
  • Options
    One of my favourite players right now…yep let’s hope signs a contract to keep him in,no doubt at all he won’t be offered one & I do have faith that it would be a good enough time…cause inrecs NJ will have something to say about it…👍
  • Options
    edited March 10
    Leuth said:
    Whoever said he was an upgrade on CBT - spot on. We look so much better down that side now

Corey Blackett-Taylor will never be a wing back but Thierry Small is the quintessential attacking full back (think Rhoys Wiggins) or wing back when playing 3-5-2 which worked perfectly against Cheltenham when both Small and Watson did great work in attacking positions on their left and right flanks.
    Small and Watson will still make mistakes defensively (they both have) with Small getting away with that wild pass back early doors on debut and Watson and Coventry not stopping the goal when missing tackles in the midweek match.
    At 19 Small looks an upgrade on Edun who is an honest trier but too erratic so far with his defensive work or crossing.

CBT had a good spell overall in a poor Charlton team and check out his stats for goals and assists over the last one and a half seasons.

X- factor player who would be brilliant or poor during games but is two footed and can go past league 1 defenders with ease. (when on it)

• Options
    Leuth said:
    I’m not sure you can really compare them to be honest. 

I would say Small is more ‘well rounded’, as in his attacking play is better than CBT’s defensive - but on the whole the reason we look better down that (or the right hand side) - is we have a much better manager and a more balanced team since January.
    I agree it's apples and pears because we are playing a formation now that Small was specifically brought in to play, and CBT struggled as wing back. However, when 433 or 442 (remember that formation) CBT would still be the better option based on what I have seen so far.

Where Small and CBT are more comparable is the contractual situation. Signed on short term deals to see if they train on. Again, early signs look promising but there's no rush with Small as we have that extra year option on him and if he carries on as he's started, who knows he may get offered an even longer deal by CAFC.
  • Options
    Not clear how his career nosedived so much. Looks to be a good signing.
  • Options
    Not clear how his career nosedived so much. Looks to be a good signing.
    Sometimes you just need to go somewhere where it clicks. Someone mentioned he has friends/family in the area which probably helps and it's clear he's in a positive place mentally. He's earned the right to have a song but that must feel pretty great after a handful of matches which can only do wonders for your confidence.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Best left back since Wiggins, great signing hope we can get him to sign a long contract.
    Really impressed when he came over to the Curbs stand after the game with pumping fists.
    Great footwork and enjoyable showboating. Will bring the crowds back with more of these standout performances!
  • Options
    Yeah he reminds me of a CBT style player, that'll put his own interests ahead of us if the right chance comes along

Not that I mind it - Its those with the attitude and come out with such lines like: "I want to play for Charlton forev-Wait... Rotherham want me? - Byeeeeeee" that I dont have the time for.

Just be honest... Football is a short career for many, you want to progress, same as us as a club.

If we can find a better player than Thierry Small at Left-Back, we'd do the same
  • Options

#cafc technical director Andy Scott on Thierry Small: “I’ve had a couple of conversations with his agents and we’ve made him a new offer, a long-term deal that he and his agents are considering.

“If that doesn’t happen by the time we need to activate the option then we will… pic.twitter.com/kg6t55iStb

— Richard Cawley (@RichCawleySLP) April 27, 2024
  • Options
    Glad a proper contract has been offered to him rather than just activating his extension and face losing him in January for a low fee if he has a good start, hope we can get this sorted soon