Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Betting question.

Hi…..last week I read a couple of posts stating that Charlton were 5/1 to finish in the top half of our division.
I fancied having a punt and today called in at my local Ladbrookes & William Hill…..neither of whom were able to find a possibility for me to place such a bet.
May I ask where or who were offering this bet and how can I contact them?
Needless to say, I know precious little about the world of betting.
Many thanks……SoundAs.

Comments

• Options
    Sky Bet & Bet Victor but you probably need an on-line account to get any bet on
  • Options
    I don't think he has online access.
    ;-)
  • Options
    Hi…..last week I read a couple of posts stating that Charlton were 5/1 to finish in the top half of our division.
    I fancied having a punt and today called in at my local Ladbrookes & William Hill…..neither of whom were able to find a possibility for me to place such a bet.
    Many thanks……SoundAs.

Here you go .... 

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/league-1/english-league-one/to-finish-in-top-half
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    ;-)
    Ah :-) that would explain why Stuart "called into at his local Ladbrookes & William Hill" 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Many thanks……SoundAs.

Here you go .... 

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/league-1/english-league-one/to-finish-in-top-half
    Can you talk me through this please Off_it
    So, I first have to sign up to say Sky or Bet365. I assume?
    Am I right in saying they are offering 5/1?
    How do I place the bet…..can I phone them to sign up and help me in placing the bet…..that would be so much easier for me.
    Cheers.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    ;-)
    Ah :-) that would explain why Stuart "called into at his local Ladbrookes & William Hill" 
    I was joking. Of course he has online access - he's posted on here!
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Many thanks……SoundAs.

Here you go .... 

How do I place the bet…..can I phone them to sign up and help me in placing the bet…..that would be so much easier for me.
    Cheers.
    All you have to do is click on the link, scroll down to where it says Charlton and you'll see there are two bookies offering 5/1 odds - Sky Bet and Bet Victor.

Choose which one you want to go with then click on the "5/1" under that name. Then it takes you through and you follow the instructions to set up an account.

(I think I may have been "whooshed" here!)
  • Options
    Many thanks……SoundAs.

That’s obvious if you think we’re going to finish top half ! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 6
    I’ll give you some betting advice - bet £20 on us to finish top half and you will lose £20.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Many thanks……SoundAs.

Here you go .... 

Cheers.
    All you have to do is click on the link, scroll down to where it says Charlton and you'll see there are two bookies offering 5/1 odds - Sky Bet and Bet Victor.

Choose which one you want to go with then click on the "5/1" under that name. Then it takes you through and you follow the instructions to set up an account.

Ok……I want to place a £200 bet but I also want to pre pay the tax as well….how do I show that……I think that will be £220 is that correct?
    I haven’t placed a bet for at least 50 years, so maybe that option no longer exists and if it does is it still set at 10%?
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Many thanks……SoundAs.

Here you go .... 

Cheers.

Ok……I want to place a £200 bet but I also want to pre pay the tax as well….how do I show that……I think that will be £220 is that correct?
    I haven’t placed a bet for at least 50 years, so maybe that option no longer exists and if it does is it still set at 10%?
    Couldn't it go to charity if you want to lose 200 quid? 
  • Options
    Don't have to pay tax on bets any more
  • Options
    I can afford it so why not…..it’s just a bit of fun at the end of the day.
    Anyway, why all the sour grapes?
  • Options
    edited February 6
    Also if you are new to the online betting world.make sure to look at the new customer offers and apply the code.
    Ie skybet give £30 free bet and betvictor £40... But both come with a raft of t+C's about how you use them and how much you have to bet before you get them etc.
    Getting an online account also makes betting very easy, this is not necessarily a good thing in the long term for everyone.
  • Options
    Don't have to pay tax on bets any more
    Thanks AC.
  • Options
    I can afford it so why not…..it’s just a bit of fun at the end of the day.
    Anyway, why all the sour grapes?
    Absolutely. If you can afford it, then go for it.

I'd just advise against it. 

(Trust me: I know a lot more than I should about bad football bets). 
  • Options
    The bets for top half will be suspended until likely midnight/tomorrow now given L1 games are in play.  

Personally I think 5/1 is not wide enough for the bet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 6
    The bets for top half will be suspended until likely midnight/tomorrow now given L1 games are in play.  

Personally I think 5/1 is not wide enough for the bet.
    I had a feeling that might be the case……I have logged into Sky Bet and opened an account…..however for some obscure reason my bank have declined the payment.
    On the phone now to my debit card people.
    Evidently I had the gambling option frozen…..which I have unfrozen but still won’t accept the payment……FFS!!!! 😠
  • Options
    Suggest bet very small to start with Soundas just to be sure everything's working and you.know what goes where, then later on you can go in with the big one.

Also after we lose at Reading the price should shoot up anyway!
  • Options
    edited February 7
    The Genius that is the Billionaire Denise Coates will always be the ultimate winner as punters up and down the country donate to the cause. On-line gambling as long as your phone/laptop is charged. Many on CL will have multiple accounts with free bets to keep you hooked. 

The reason that Ms Coates is a genius is with her first in econometrics from Sheffield University and a dad Peter who had the Provincial racing chain of betting shops she saw the enormous untapped market of online gambling and the potential with 'In play gambling'. So in 2000 she used all her knowledge to marry the two and produce her own software to maximise profits. 

Coates must employ bright young quick Brains to set the prices along with the latest AI algorithms. In tandem they can only win and another bumper year with 270 million in 2023 though not the 466 million of 2020, before tax swelling her personal fortune and making her the richest female or male in technology in the UK. 

Bet 365 employ thousands of people(Bob from CL) and has a foundation helping North Staffs as well as projects in Africa to balance out. I have always admired her for business acumen and being ahead of the opposition but not as much as people who dedicate their lives to helping others with no financial reward other than a very basic salary.

The down side to 'fun betting' and the Jokey approach of Paddy Power is the addiction element of gambling. Three bookies came together to form Paddy Power in 1988:  David Power, John Corcoran and Stewart Kenny. Taste has never had a place in their thinking and will have dead people to be manager of a football club(Ugo Ehiogu) or bet on the outcome of the Oscar Pistorius trial etc.

I may be an ex gambler but who knows when the temptation may get too great to resist ?
    I enjoy watching horse racing more now when only a free ITV 7 is wagered. 
  • Options
    @SoundAsa£ - you sorted?

I realise you got a load of light hearted responses to a genuine appeal to help. Hope you persevered with the card blocking and managed to achieve what you had intended- a planned bet at odds you liked (after last nights' results the price may have even gone out a bit, I guess).

Do keep asking if you need more help. Am sure you'll get there in the end.
  • Options
    edited February 7
    @SoundAsa£ - you sorted?

I realise you got a load of light hearted responses to a genuine appeal to help. Hope you persevered with the card blocking and managed to achieve what you had intended- a planned bet at odds you liked (after last nights' results the price may have even gone out a bit, I guess).

Do keep asking if you need more help. Am sure you'll get there in the end.
    I still haven’t managed to use my debit card as the bank have a 48 hour “cooling down feature” when you unfreeze the no gambling option.
    This means I won’t be able to pay Sky Bet until around 8.30 tomorrow evening.😒
    Mmmm…….maybe it’s a “don’t do it” sign from the betting gods.🤔
  • Options
    edited February 7
    I doubt the odds will move between now and the match, so you can relax.
    For my own part I've got a bet on us to be relegated at 7/1 with Bob's lot Bet365 but I think the odds will shorten due to our difficult run of games, at which point I'll cash out. I dont really think we'll go down.
    I note that even this morning Reading are at 1.9 to be relegated - I'd happily bet on them staying up if this was offered at about the same price.
  • Options
    I think it's funny that earlier at the start of the season, someone said Charlton top half was a banker and had fairly decent odds, I agreed with them tbf 😂

5/1 is a bit stingey I'd say, 7 points behind and all the teams in the 9-12th places are fairly decent.

Good luck with the bet mate 
  • Options
    Jesus, I’d want more than 5/1 on Charlton to finish in the top half. We’re a point off of the relegation zone and haven’t won a match since November!
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Jesus, I’d want more than 5/1 on Charlton to finish in the top half. We’re a point off of the relegation zone and haven’t won a match since November!
    An alternative view, not that I would necessarily agree with it, is that we are only 7 points off 12th place and if it was a manager problem and not a player problem then Nathan Jones could possibly turn that form around.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    An alternative view, not that I would necessarily agree with it, is that we are only 7 points off 12th place and if it was a manager problem and not a player problem then Nathan Jones could possibly turn that form around.
    Such a shame that the teams above us have to play matches when we do. Bloody unfair that !  I think we should have a free run of things & with that we might just get top 6  :)