Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sandgaard - An occasional vignette of ego

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited February 10
    Overall a force for good with the women's team* and Charlton TV. That and seeing off Southall et al is all I've got.

*The failed, foolish attempt to change their name shouldn't be what defines his legacy given the progress made under him. 
  • Options
    Absolutely ❤️ that! Thank you for sharing it as hadn’t seen this before.
    The ABC Virgin Radio session is worth a listen n all
  • Options
    Fair play. Certainly Thomas has an ego that needs massaging on a regular basis and I think he thought owning a successful football club would give him that but failed to realise it was very difficult to make it successful. Once the adulation of saving the club from crooks stopped and criticism started I think he lost interest. A movie no matter how worthy will be yesterday’s news very quickly and he’ll move on to the next “look at me, love me” project. Hard to dislike the bloke and I wish him well.
    Very odd conclusion to that post which contradicts the rest of it!

I can’t stand him. The most positive thing you can say about him is that he wanted to succeed/ didn’t set out with negative intentions, but I think you could almost argue the same for RD… he was an obscenely arrogant and deluded guy and by some accounts it sounds like actually quite unpleasant, and the way he went out was also not dissimilar to RD, seemed like very little regard for the club and his sole interest being trying to recoup his losses (substantial amount of which were self inflicted). 

Hard not to dislike the bloke, I do not wish him well. 
    Was he good for Charlton ? I’d say yes and no. If he hadn’t shown up when he did then this forum let alone the club might not exist. I think he ended up thinking that owning us was more trouble than he got in return adulation. He stopped spending and turned his attention elsewhere. Crook ? Absolutely 100% not. Egotistical ? Absolutely yes. Bad man ? No. Bad owner ? I’d say not by the standards that preceded him. Well intentioned ? I’d also say yes. I don’t think he deserves hate or even dislike. Reserve your dislike to the people he saved us from I’d suggest. 
    I get all this but I think your views are all based on a comparison Vs the (agreed) worse individuals that preceded him. A burglar might not be as bad as a rapist or a murderer, but he’s still a wrong ‘un. Sandgaard is a wrong ‘un. He didn’t save us out of charity , he happened to be in the market at that time and did it for his own interests and received adulation as a result of our plight rather than because he wanted to intervene to stop a crime against humanity. 

Bad man - can’t really comment with proper qualification but his self interest, arrogance and the reported treatment of some club staff suggest it’s a discussion. 

Bad owner - absolutely 100% yes. Again, to compare against the standards that preceded him is mental. He was an awful, awful owner there is absolutely no argument that can be made to the contrary. Less awful than Southall et al - yes. Less awful than RD - debatable - Parzysek Vs Schwarz, potato patato. Objectively awful viewing his tenure in isolation from those before him - indisputable. 
    And just to follow up on this @ShootersHillGuru , on the basis of your comment and judging Sandgaard as you have done alongside those that came before him, I think it’s also important that his role in the situation today is not underestimated. His legacy lives on today and the appalling state he left the club, squad and structure in when he finally got out after months of unprofessional and unreasonable negotiation, is a huge part of why we sit where we are today. 

Not attempting to dig you specifically out , by the way, just infuriates me to see these despicable, arrogant conmen, egomaniacs, chancers, liars etc etc given undue credit or not being given the satisfactory discredit for their roles. Sandgaard is one of them. 

This club is dying before our eyes and every villain who played a part in that should be remembered as such, the only martyrs in this are the fans and the jackos , powells and bowyers who have been dragged through this shambles with selflessness and dignity. 
  • Options
    Bloke was a massive prick.  Way he treated Jackson underlined what a clueless ego merchant he was. Only good thing about this season is we're not subject to his awful poxy vanity project of a song (his whole ownership was a vanity project) blaring out of the Valley before each game and within a millisecond of a rare home win to ensure that the focus was all him.

Thank God he's no longer involved in any capacity. Made that boring old Belgian weirdo that's still got his withered claws around our club's neck look half competent.

Fuck the lot of them.
    Amen to that.