Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RIP Kelvin Kiptum

The men's marathon world record holder has died in a road accident at the age of 24:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-68270866

Absolute shocker, tragic loss of life and talent, leaves two children behind.

RIP.

Comments

• Options
    Shocking news - it was only earlier this week my business partner and chairman ratified his world record in Chicago alongside one of my clients. Literally he was telling them he was gonna go under 2 hours next time out.

Couldn’t believe it when they messaged me earlier.
  • Options
    Blimey, that is so tragic. RIP Kelvin. 
  • Options
    RIP, tragic.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP such a young age.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Shocking news RIP.
  • Options
    Very sad. RIP
  • Options
    Really tragic news. RIP.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Also RIP to his coach, Gervais Hakizimana, who died in the same incident.

Hadn't seen that last night.
  • Options
    Absolutely tragic.  I was convinced he was going to be the one to break the magic 2hr barrier.  RIP.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    R I P
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Very sad news, RIP
  • Options
    Kelvin Kiptum was about to become to the marathon what Usain Bolt had been to Sprinting; a super star of Athletics.

A terrible loss to Athletics and even more importantly to his partner and two children.

RIP Kelvin and coach Gervais.
  • Options
    Kelvin Kiptum was about to become to the marathon what Usain Bolt had been to Sprinting; a super star of Athletics.

A terrible loss to Athletics and even more importantly to his partner and two children.

RIP Kelvin and coach Gervais.
    Feel like he could have been about to have the sort of legacy Roger Bannister has - the 2 hour marathon is the next 4 minute mile and he (obviously) looked the most likely to break that barrier.
  • Options
    RIP. Awful.

where did it happen does anyone know?
  • Options
    RIP. Awful.

Copied from a news article:

Kiptum died in a car crash in Kenya on Feb. 11. The crash happened near Kaptagat in western Kenya, Kiptum's home country. The runner was driving, and the car veered off the road into a ditch and hit a tree, police said,
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP. Awful.

Copied from a news article:

Kiptum died in a car crash in Kenya on Feb. 11. The crash happened near Kaptagat in western Kenya, Kiptum's home country. The runner was driving, and the car veered off the road into a ditch and hit a tree, police said,
    Thanks, Near El Doret, Beautiful part of an incredible country. Such a shame for someone with so much promise. Only ran his first proper marathon 18 months ago. With sustained training he could have been something incredible.
  • Options
    Tragic that a 24 year old should pass away in an accident.

However this 24 year old had so much unfulfilled potential (even though he holds (held) the marathon world record). He was set to break 2 hours for the marathon, a feat equivalent to or greater than Roger Bannister's 4 minute mile 70 years ago come May.

RIP Kelvin and thanks for your contribution to athletics.
  • Options
    Very sad indeed. Going back to Kenya on holiday in a few weeks - beautiful yet complicated country. 
  • Options
    Very sad indeed. Going back to Kenya on holiday in a few weeks - beautiful yet complicated country. 
    Incredibly jealous. Spent 3 weeks in Kenya last year as my best mate is Kenyan born and was best man at his wedding out there. Did a lot of touristy stuff but also a lot more of the local stuff too. Without sounding like one of those people but it was genuinely life changing, my whole outlook on life and the world is different. I really got the Africa bug and spend my days dreaming to travelling the whole continent. I also have a sister in law from Uganda so am planning of spending some time there.

Sorry not really the thread for it but as you say an incredible country.