Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Formations - how about a box midfield?

Lots of talk about 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 diamonds lately because those are the formations that Jones has tended to favour.

Looking at the glut of midfield options we have, is it possible that a 4-2-2-2 box midfield set up might be the best way forward?

Something like…

Isted

REG Jones Gillesphey Tennai

Coventry Dobson

Camara Bakinson

Kanu May

It’s incredibly workman-like and won’t be pretty but I think from the selection choices NJ made on Tuesday night, I think it was clear he prefers a team that will run themselves into the ground rather than try to force pretty football that isn’t there.

If we stack the middle of the field and make ourselves near impossible to play through - we might be able to spring a few counter attacks through the break out runs of Camara and/or Bakinson.

Comments

• Options
    edited February 15
    Any formation is fine as long as the players understand their roles and responsibilities. 

Like for example another team would just play wingers with overlapping full-backs against that formation.

As long as Coventry/Camara knows to cover the right and Dobson/Bakinson the left, we'd be fine. 

If they don't, we get 2v1'd down the wings all afternoon. 
  • Options
    Used Edun instead of Tennai here because this website didn’t have a headshot for Tennai…

• Options

• Options
    I was concerned at the beginning of January when I was told we were going to play with wing-backs.  It didn't sound as if the decision was being made by Appleton but more that "it was decided"
    The way I see it you should be playing to the formation as decided by the manager and recruiting on that basis - not deciding what formation you want your manager to play and then finding players to fit in with it.
    I guess that is where the lack of long-term thinking became clear.

Now we have Nathan apparently on a 4.5 year contract so presumably he will be given a certain amount of autonomy to choose who plays, how we play and will also ensure the recruitment is aligned with his thinking rather than anyone else.

In answer to the thread - a box midfield might just work well given the glut of central midfielders and the lack of genuine width
  • Options
    It’s another option with this squad and I think we’ll see Jones switch between formations, including during games, rather than stick with one.

I wouldn’t call it workman-like, it’s the opposite of anything seeing as it was supposed to have originated in Brazil. Puts a lot on the two 10s to create, as well as the full backs.

https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/4-2-2-2-football-tactics-explained-rangnick-hasenhuttl-pellegrini/
  • Options
    Man city use it as a 3-2-4-1 in possession with one of the CBs or full backs moving into midfielder. Could potentially use REG in that role to move into midfield but tbh I think we'd be horribly exposed as we don't have the technical ability or brains to not get relentlessly countered.
  • Options
    Does anyone remember when we had Arter and Watson in a box midfield ? Scarring 
  • Options
    Don’t think those 4 work in that set up. The box midfield is all about getting your creative players on the ball in-between the lines. Maybe Camara, but Bakinson is certainly not the type of player to exploit that kind of set up. 

I think it’s clear what Jones wants to do, go direct to the front 2. Whether that’s into the channels for May/Kanu to chase or directly to Ladapo and Aneke. And then he wants energy and legs in midfield to win the second balls and go from there. 

It’s the best set up for what we have at the moment. It won’t be pretty but it might keep us up, and then Jones has the summer to build something that might be a bit more pleasing on the eye 

• Options
    edited February 15
    Jac_52 said:
    Man city use it as a 3-2-4-1 in possession with one of the CBs or full backs moving into midfielder. Could potentially use REG in that role to move into midfield but tbh I think we'd be horribly exposed as we don't have the technical ability or brains to not get relentlessly countered.
    Nearly every top team at the moment does similar. They defend in a 4-4-2 where the number 10 presses alongside the striker and then in-possession they move to the 3-2-4-1 or W-M formation as it’s also known as, with the box midfield and back 3 to control possession and not be countered 

Good article on the 4-4-2 bit below for subscribers to the athletic
    https://theathletic.com/5238298/2024/02/11/how-4-4-2-is-used-in-modern-football/?source=user_shared_articleThe 4-4-2 is dead. Long live the 4-4-2