Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Ends to The Valley - Part 1: Chuks Aneke //

edited February 16 in General Charlton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cChr7Vc5b-U

Reckon this will be quite interesting

Comments

• Options
    Second half of the title had me worried for a second ngl
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Second half of the title had me worried for a second ngl
    Yeah... I'd suggest an edit to avoid alarm!
  • Options
    I'm never that shocked by anything the idiot smt do but even that header caused a WTF moment  :o
  • Options
    I see it's been edited but still says "released"

I suggest changing to "out"

Really not sure why I care enough to bother to post... think it's coz Charlton is surely making many of us emotionally fragile enough for the words "Aneke" and "released" in a title to cause more distress than is good for a person atm 

Seen  short from it...love the fact he had a childhood/family connection to the kiosk at Charlton station...
  • Options
    I'm really struggling with the title. What does 'the ends to the valley' mean? am I missing a pun or a reference to something?
  • Options
    Not only Charlton, but Charlton station!

And I’ve been pronouncing his first name and last name wrong all this time.
  • Options
    edited February 15
    rina said:
    I'm really struggling with the title. What does 'the ends to the valley' mean? am I missing a pun or a reference to something?
    Ends is like an English version of the American ‘hood’. 
  • Options
    “Ens” is short for environment, but I don’t think that’s what this means.
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    rina said:
    cheers. never heard that
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Ends is London slang for the area you grew up in, specifically rougher, council housing estates and the more notorious neighborhoods around. 

Ferrier Estate would be "Ends" whereas West Wickham wouldn't be, for example
  • Options
    Very enjoyable vid that. Get to know a bit about Chuks. 
  • Options
    edited February 16
    Should be From my Manor to the Valley 
  • Options
    Stupid title. Not sure really why they bothered. I like the bloke, when fit he's a great footballer but the rest I don't really need to know or care about. The ends? Never heard of that and spent my first 17 years on various council estates, not that you need to know or care about either😊
  • Options
    Title could read.

East end boy to The Valley.
  • Options
    What a dumb bloody title. 

The Valley is 'The Ends'. We are on the door step of Cherry Orchard and plenty of rough estates, he's hardly gone from Peckham to the Bernabeu, Christ. 

From, former proud resident of The Ends
    Excuse my ignorance but are “the Ends” not different for everyone? Aneke says he grew up in East Ham, those are his “Ends”.

Don’t think the video was trying to make any type of rags to riches comparison - just a “hip” way of saying “from A to B”.
    It's a bit of a cringe phrase for me personally. 

If that were the case, why not 'the ends of East Ham to the Valley'.

Just not a fan of the title 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    The Ends is London slang for the area you grew up in, specifically rougher, council housing estates and the more notorious neighborhoods around. 

Ferrier Estate would be "Ends" whereas West Wickham wouldn't be, for example
    Spot on
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The Valley is 'The Ends'. We are on the door step of Cherry Orchard and plenty of rough estates, he's hardly gone from Peckham to the Bernabeu, Christ. 

Excuse my ignorance but are “the Ends” not different for everyone? Aneke says he grew up in East Ham, those are his “Ends”.

Don’t think the video was trying to make any type of rags to riches comparison - just a “hip” way of saying “from A to B”.
    It's a bit of a cringe phrase for me personally. 

If that were the case, why not 'the ends of East Ham to the Valley'.

Just not a fan of the title 
    I’m guessing because they’re going to do it with a few players so wanted something generic
  • Options
    While I know it was a reflection of his roots and journey but I’d have been more interested to know how he’s coped with his injury nightmare these past few seasons, which may have told us more about the man.
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    rina said:
    So basically then isn’t a ‘hood’ a crook or hoodlum ? Surely there’s none of those that can associated with The Valley…
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    rina said:
    So basically then isn’t a ‘hood’ a crook or hoodlum ? Surely there’s none of those that can associated with The Valley…
    It’s not hoodlum it’s neighbourhood. More succinctly a neighbourhood inhabited predominantly by African Americans of low socioeconomic status. Sounds like Chuks originated from the English equivalent and that’s what they’re putting over in the title. 

What’s all the fixation with the word Ends! Enjoy the video. It tells us a bit about Chuks and his background. 
  • Options
    You mandem. It's "endz", init blud.
  • Options
    Stupid titling 
  • Options
    Don’t be fooled by the rocks that’s he’s got, he’s still Chuks from the endz 
  • Options

This reminded me of something funny. I used to go to an african club in manor park years back with an ex girlfriend. Was in there one night and some young guy was getting a bit lively. Kinda accosted me and was being a bit lairy towards me. Was asking "where you out of" and all that shit. I couldn't be bothered to explain, so just went "Charlton". Mistake. Turned out he had "some beef with dem Boyz off the cherry estate"! I then had to spend abt 20mins talking him and his mates down from giving me a kicking. Fun night. He demanded my mobile number and obvs I gave it to him. I'd then get random calls every now and then from him asking if I wanted "food"...this is well before Top Boy lol. He went by the name of FRANK as in the drugs advice service haha! Anyway, I'll give the video a watch, sounds interesting.
  • Options
    So hard to understand him, and I am an East End boy.
  • Options
    edited February 16
    YTS1978 said:

This reminded me of something funny. I used to go to an african club in manor park years back with an ex girlfriend. Was in there one night and some young guy was getting a bit lively. Kinda accosted me and was being a bit lairy towards me. Was asking "where you out of" and all that shit. I couldn't be bothered to explain, so just went "Charlton". Mistake. Turned out he had "some beef with dem Boyz off the cherry estate"! I then had to spend abt 20mins talking him and his mates down from giving me a kicking. Fun night. He demanded my mobile number and obvs I gave it to him. I'd then get random calls every now and then from him asking if I wanted "food"...this is well before Top Boy lol. He went by the name of FRANK as in the drugs advice service haha! Anyway, I'll give the video a watch, sounds interesting.
    Ah the whole thing is tragic, that's why I am not a fan of anything that endorses a phrase like that at all. Saying things like 'The Ends' from a professional football club is just straight up weird imo. It was used as a joke when I was growing up in South London, now it appears to be used as a mark of pride claiming you're from a rough part of London. Been a victim of crime a few times, it's nothing to be proud of, and that's the nature of the block type areas in Londin. I've far enjoyed my living lifestyle in places like Sheffield, Nottingham, Essex, Kent etc far more.

The problem is, it's seen as cool nowadays. You have young lads living in Kent, attempting to put on an accent, trying to bring London antics down here.

I think I'll be due another move if Kent ends up anything like London, no thanks. 🙄