Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mike Procter RIP

One of the great all-rounders of cricket sadly departs for the Heavenly pavilion.
I was far from alone but he was one of my cricketing heroes as a lad.
The most amazing bowling action and a true great, despite the sad lack of Test cricket for the South Africans.
RIP Mike 

Comments

• Options
    One of a number of great South African cricketers of his generation. 
    At a time when the West Indies were dominating Test Cricket it was a real shame they never played one another. 
    Rip a true cricketing great. 
  • Options
    Saw him play three times and every time he got a quick 50. He really did hit the ball hard. My Dad dropped him in The Mound Stand after a flick off his legs. 

Proctershire really was a thing. He lifted the Gloucestershire players so much and they were a really dangerous one day team. 
  • Options
    Bowling off the wrong foot as he did made him somewhat unique. A permanent fixture of our County scene, he and Zaheer Abbas were integral part of that Gloucester side of that era.

RIP Mike
  • Options
    Great all rounder.  In the seventies I worked with a guy whose name was Mike Proctor, and he always had to say "it's O R not E R!". RIP Mike.
  • Options
    edited February 18
    I was obsessed with Cricket as a boy and when on holiday with parents saw Barry Richards score a hundred for Hants. 
    Colin Bland was a brilliant fielder, Graham Pollock was a class batsman and his brother Peter was a top bowler. Eddie Barlow was a good opener and Mike Proctor would have broken so many records as an all rounder.

Apartheid was/is shocking but it was a shame that because of that abomination we didn't get to see a team that could've been the number 1 team in the world for a while.

RIP Mike Proctor
  • Options
    all been said, terrific cricketer with that Saffie will to win and to never give up .. R I P
  • Options
    RIP.  Seemed one of those guys good at anything in cricket.
  • Options
    One of the all time greats. He almost singlehandedly won Gloucs the 1977 B & H trophy. He took a hat-trick in the semi-final. Watching him run in from the boundary was a sight to behold! I was fortunate to see him play Kent in that final, whilst disappointed that Kent lost you knew you were privileged to see him play.
    RIP.
  • Options
    edited February 18
    Phil said:
    One of the all time greats. He almost singlehandedly won Gloucs the 1977 B & H trophy. He took a hat-trick in the semi-final. Watching him run in from the boundary was a sight to behold! I was fortunate to see him play Kent in that final, whilst disappointed that Kent lost you knew you were privileged to see him play.
    RIP.
    That was phenomenal that semi-final. I remember watching it. He was unplayable.
    4 wickets in 5 balls, including Gordon Greenidge and Barry Richards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25EcIdBAikM
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sad loss to his family friends and all county fans. 
    Such a wonderful player help make county cricket great.
  • Options
    A fine player.

RIP Mike and thanks for the memories.