Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

PUB QUIZ IN THE ROYAL OAK ON THURSDAY 7TH MARCH (in memory of @CardinalSin)

edited February 21 in General Charlton
Organising a pub quiz in The Royal Oak on Thursday March 7th which is something I do a few times a year. Back after Dave Thomson died I was chatting to Kevin and he said we should do a quiz for a local charity that Dave was involved in because he did work for a couple of them. One of those was Riding for the Disabled and they're the group that's getting the money from this quiz. The quiz itself has got a Charlton and Scotland theme, with hopefully a few added bonuses on the night. We are trying hard to get a piper and the kitchen in The Royal Oak is putting on a Scots platter for tables to buy on the night, with 10% of their proceeds going to Riding for the Disabled as well. So it should be a really good night. The poster shown as an attachment gives the general idea. But one thing we could do with is a bit of sponsorship for prizes or raffle prizes if anyone has any ideas for that. Anyway it'd just be good to get people there. We have done these for half a dozen local charities or groups by now and they're always a good night's entertainment. There's even talk of a pony coming along for the night (no jokes about there being a few donkeys at The Valley in recent times). The Supporters Trust are also planning to do something more football-specific at some point too. This is just a quiz in honour of Dave as a local Charlton man. Lots of us took great inspiration from him down through the years. His blog was one of the first I ever read when I moved here. I blame him for so much that followed, converting to Charlton fandom just as the slide began. But it's all uphill for this quiz - Charlton Park and Riding for the Disabled. Also should point out that me and the missus do all this for free and The Royal Oak charges nothing for the venue, so all money raised goes to the charity.

Comments

• Options
    Can't attend but would be happy to donate. Would a just giving page for the riding for the disabled work?
  • Options
    red10 said:
    Can't attend but would be happy to donate. Would a just giving page for the riding for the disabled work?
    Okay thanks, I will look into that this morning. 
  • Options
    There is a just giving page. Here’s the link:

https://www.justgiving.com/charltonparkriding
  • Options

Great work @ChicagoAddick and thanks for any contributions. I only discovered recently that the RDA in Charlton Park is completely voluntary so they rely on this kind of funding just to survive.  
  • Options
    centurion said:

Great work @ChicagoAddick and thanks for any contributions. I only discovered recently that the RDA in Charlton Park is completely voluntary so they rely on this kind of funding just to survive.  

Just dropped a few quid in. Thanks for the link

• Options
    I spoke to Carol from RDA last night and she says thanks for the present support and all past support (through Dave and CARD and others). Club are also going to sponsor a prize I think. 
  • Options
    Heard on Saturday that the pub has changed hands and is now closed for a quick refurb. Meant to be back open by the next home game. Haven’t been in for a while and can’t see anything online (they used to update their instagram pretty regularly). 
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    Heard on Saturday that the pub has changed hands and is now closed for a quick refurb. Meant to be back open by the next home game. Haven’t been in for a while and can’t see anything online (they used to update their instagram pretty regularly). 
    Hello Tel, I think that's the Rose and Crown up in Welling that people were talking about. They have a Facebook page that's updated fairly regularly. 
  • Options
    centurion said:
    TelMc32 said:
    Hello Tel, I think that's the Rose and Crown up in Welling that people were talking about. They have a Facebook page that's updated fairly regularly. 
    They’re both owned by the same person.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    centurion said:
    TelMc32 said:
    Yes. Hope to see Leitrim Exiles with a team in the quiz too :)
  • Options
    centurion said:
    centurion said:
    TelMc32 said:
    I won’t be a Leitrim exile, as I’ll be in Leitrim on that date. 
  • Options
    centurion said:
    centurion said:
    TelMc32 said:
    I won’t be a Leitrim exile, as I’ll be in Leitrim on that date. 
    Okay @guinnessaddick - enjoy. 
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    Was just chatting Kevin at The Oak and pub is changing hands in management but not closing, Tel. Won't affect the quiz apart from maybe a few changes in decor. Should be a great night. 
  • Options
    See some of you tonight maybe?  

I actually bloody hate quizzes but as its for Dave Im going to go along... I've picked some very clever teammates... see you later @AFKABartram - we are going to be the team to beat!

• Options
    I will be there to handicap the MODMag team 😭
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

I actually bloody hate quizzes but as its for Dave Im going to go along... I've picked some very clever teammates... see you later @AFKABartram - we are going to be the team to beat!

I’m with you on that B.
    Every time someone cheats, every blooming time.

Hope lots gets raised.
    🍻
  • Options
    I will be there to handicap the MODMag team 😭
    ha, me too!
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

I actually bloody hate quizzes but as its for Dave Im going to go along... I've picked some very clever teammates... AND @AFKABartram - we are going to be the team to beat!

Harsh
  • Options
    See youse later. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have a good night and may the best team win.
  • Options
    Hope you have a good night. 

just seen this posted on the facebook page: 

Hi guys, I’ve come on here to give everyone a little update regarding the future of The Royal Oak - Charlton
    I’ve had a fantastic 4 years since buying the pub and loved every minute of it. I’ve been a Charlton fan my whole life which was why I originally saved the pub from demolition in the first place during our Covid lockdowns and having such fond memories of the pub prior to match days when I was a regular season ticket holder…
    But unfortunately now it’s time for me to move on, due to other business commitments I simply don’t have the time anymore to continue to run the pub how it should be, I have sold it on to a really good friend of mine who is also another Charlton fan so I know the pub will be left in good hands, I’ll be handing over to him this Saturday for his first match day so would be good to see some familiar faces back down and I can introduce everyone to James the new owner!
    I’ll miss this place like you wouldn’t believe but I’ll definitely be back to enjoy some match days the other side of the bar, I’ll look forward to seeing as many of you as possible this Saturday to say my goodbyes
  • Options
    B Mob! 
    Winners! 

• Options
    Would have loved to have been there, train delayed back from work in Cardiff. Hope it is giving Dave what he would have wished for. 
  • Options
    Was a really good night, over £750 raised for the Charlton Riding School for the Disabled. Don’t think I’ve ever been on a team that’s won a quiz before so that’s a first lol.

Thanks @centurion for your efforts 
  • Options
    Nor have I! Haldo and Chappers brought the winning home. But they couldn’t have done it without your Wet Wet Wet answer. 

B Mob! 
  • Options
    Clydebank sponsorship?
  • Options
    edited March 8
    Music round, though I’m disappointed she’s highlighted that as a contribution when i correctly translated the Gaelic uisce beatha as meaning Water of Life!

• Options
    edited March 8
    Modmag finished 2nd by half a point 

Honestly dont think I will ever get over it

Absolutely gutting.

Congratulations to the winnerr B Mob though and was a fantastic night to be involved with and brilliantly organised.
  • Options
    Bloody music round killed us, beige 90s pop, but we got Hot Shot Hamish and National Maritime Museum.

Good night though and all for a good cause. Place was packed.