Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH PREVIEW: Charlton Athletic vs Portsmouth | Saturday 24th February 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off

Charlton Athletic vs Portsmouth
Saturday 24th February 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Andrew Kitchen

Introduction
Ever since the appointment of Nathan Jones, we've seen baby steps in terms of improvement on the pitch. In an ideal world, we'd be seeing an instant return on results, but there must equally be a sense of realism, you dont just turn around a bad run of form, at the drop of a hat - We're in a run of three tough games, the second coming this Saturday... If we see a repeat of the effort from last Saturday... then the results will soon come.

The Opposition
Name: Portsmouth (1st) | Manage: John Mousinho
Ground: Fratton Park
Previous League Result: Portsmouth 4-1 Reading

Well you cant get tougher opponents this Saturday, than the League Leaders themselves.

On a personal note, I've always had the long belief that Portsmouth are the type of team who tend to start extremely strong, and then by the turn of the year have started their customary fade away from challenging for promotion - This year though, and things seem to be different, the appointment of John Mousinho in his first Managerial role just over twelve months ago, appears to be have been a masterstroke, and whilst they have Derby and Bolton breathing down their necks, it seems as though they may just survive the chase this time around.

In terms of recent results, and well... Portsmouth visit the Valley in a rich vein of goalscoring form... Pompey have scored eleven goals in their last four games, their last three home results have ended; 4-1, 3-1, 4-1 - However thats their home form, their away isn't as impressive, they've only been able to win by a goal to nil in their last three, whilst two of their three League defeats have been on the road this season

Mousinho and his side, will be looking to return to the Championship for the first time since X come the end of the season; their record at the Valley is better than Fratton Park, with two wins in their last five visits to South East London (the last being in 2021) - But it won't be an easy afternoon for the League Leaders I'm sure!!

Charlton Team News
It'll be interesting to say the least, as to how the Addicks line up this coming Saturday

Nathan Jones doesnt seem the type of man to pick an unchanged team, purely because of a decent result up in Lancashire last Saturday, so we could see more changes ahead of the line-up being announced at 2pm tomorrow afternoon - One absent player will be Kayne Ramsay, who picked up a hamstring issue in our last outing at the Valley, however fellow Full-Back: Thierry Small impressed the Valley faithful at Bolton, so you'd hope that he can continue that type of performance.

The likes of Daniel Kanu and Karoy Anderson showed the type of work rate that Jones appears to appreciate, so will no doubt keep their places in the team.

Isted
Edmonds-Green - Jones - Thomas
T.Watson - Coventry - Dobson - Small
Anderson
Kanu - Ladapo

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer - Gillesphey - Edun - Bakinson - Camara - May - Aneke

Comments

• Options
    Charlton no league wins in 15. 17 in all competitions 

Worst run in 15 years. Unbeaten in their last 5 meetings v tomorrow’s opposition 

Portsmouth unbeaten in their last 7 league games
  • Options
    Always enjoy our games against Portsmouth. Shame looking at the seating plans there’s not a few more of our fans turning up. 
  • Options
    Looking forward to this. Under no illusions that this could be a loss but I do feel we can also nick something. Talent wise, dont think Pompey are that great but they are well drilled with a good team spirit which we have lacked. This could be a good game! 

Letting my heart rule my head but think we will win 1-0 with a decent performance. Ladapo with the goal. 
  • Options
    Pompey would probably have more fans than us in the ground if allowed to have 10k of tickets 
    proper support 
    they sold out carlisle the other week 1,800 or so 

can't see a win and the relegation zone beckons

sad times but that's the reality of a two thirds of a season of utter junk
  • Options
    The day the whole Covered End reawakens from the performance induced slumber that had resulted from continuously being force fed a ton of standing apples…noisy kids in red on the pitch running around and creating mayhem identified as the catalyst for the cacophony when the East and West stands pitches in as well
  • Options
    Hoping for a good performance but still expecting a loss...
  • Options
    edited February 23
    Reading was must win…… then Lincoln was must win…… then Bolton we gave it a great go but really needed to hold on for the win.

This one now is must must win. Can’t draw / lose forever and expect to stay up. And the season tells us we can’t expect to rely on so called ‘easier games’. Especially when March is away heavy and we have won one away all season.

So we better bloody win then!

Have a feeling Camara wouldn’t have been far from starting at Bolton had he not had the knock in training. Jones saying he and Bakinson are much better now.

Wouldnt be surprised to see Camara pushing for a start.
  • Options
    After the "heroic" draw of last week, for me this has got "battling" draw written all over it. It would be great if we could score first for a change and get the crowd going.
  • Options
    Definitely got head versus heart issues. Head is screaming that this is a nailed on loss, and they'll turn us over. Heart is convinved we'll get something, and maybe win. 

I don't expect our good recent results in head to head games to impact the team, more Portsmouth than us, but I've definitely felt nervy, tension and generally a lack of belief for certain games against teams we've had a poor record against. Hopefully there is a bit of that in the Portsmouth end tomorrow. First goal is huge, if we get it there may well be a sense of here we go again amongst their fans.

I can't see us keeping a clean sheet (again) given their attacking options and our inability to defend so we're probably going to have to score 2 or 3 for any chance of a win.

2-2 draw. 
  • Options
    Head says 0-2, heart says 1-1 and another point we would not have got before the recent change to management and style. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    no changes from Bolton, this selection looks like a proper together team .. a hard fought win 
  • Options
    Interesting we have hold over them at Fratton Park but not at the valley … since 2006 we only won 2 drawn 1 and lost 4 … think we can get a point tomorrow , and I think we will get something at Derby as well 
  • Options
    Both teams need a win so I'm expecting a relatively high scoring game. It'll be hard for NJ to change the starting eleven after a much improved performance up at Bolton even though we are still defensively suspect. I much prefer 4 at the back and believe the outcome of this match will be decided by who wins their personal duels. 

Jones Vs Bishop
    Watson vs Lane
    Small vs Kamara
    Dobbo vs Pack 
    Ladapo vs Raggett

These will be the key battles and I'd be tempted to play REG at right back in a back four to try and contain Lane. 

After speaking to Pompey mates they aren't as confident as you might think. We are well and truly their bogey side and they're just waiting for the wheels to fall off their season. I'd love to see us get a early goal and properly put it on them but I'm going for a exciting 2-2 draw with Kanu and May getting on the scoresheet

• Options
    A comfortable away win.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Hoping for a good performance but still expecting a loss...
    This … 3-1 to Pompei
  • Options
    We are definitely Pompey bogey team, the losing run will end, could be tomorrow. Head says 0-2 heart says 1-0, 
    But Cpl Jones has had another week on the training ground so I won’t be panicking if we go a goal behind. 
    If we can really get behind the boys and silence those inane Pompey chimes, we may just have a pleasant surprise. 
    COYRS!!!
  • Options
    Unusually for me I’m quite optimistic. This is a poor league this year and even the leading teams don’t look any great shakes to me. Pompey are beatable. We will need to keep on improving and, above all, stop leaking daft goals, but we should be approaching this as a winnable game. I have a feeling that wins will be like busses. Get one and another two or three will come along. 
  • Options
    1-1 
  • Options
    absolutely no idea tomorrow....head says we play ok in parts but they are to strong for us 1-2

heart says tomorrow is the day Jones proper makes his mark 2-0
  • Options
    Thought Bolton would batter us and we pulled a performance out the bag, we will see that performance again tomorrow I’m sure. Fuck knows what the result will be though! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't think Jones will allow us to be swept aside. Pompey will be forced to work hard for anything they get. 

Just wish our defensive frailty could be remedied. 

2-2

If we do manage to sneak three points against the league leaders,  that will be a immense boost to morale. 
  • Options
    Our hoodoo over Pompey will continue. A much needed 3 points to the Addicks.
  • Options
    Would not be the first time we have ended a teams winning run, let us hope we end theirs and our losing run
  • Options
    A must win? Not for me. Might drop into bottom four if we don't, but the cut is more than two months away with twelve to play after. I'll continue to fear the worst until we win enough games to be safe, but I'm optimistic for tomorrow and can see us running out 2-1 winners after a scrappy affair.
  • Options
    I think we will come out the blocks quickly with the crowd raising the roof but Pompey will gradually take over and grind out a 2-0 win sadly.
    I will be there hoping I am wrong and think we will give more signs of optimism for games to come.
  • Options
    call me mad but I'm going for a 2-1 home win, Alfie May with the winner off the bench. Then fancy us to nick at point at Derby too.
  • Options
    Must win - 2-1 Charlton.
  • Options
    Thought Gillesphey came on and defended well last week, so maybe if he’s fully up to speed he could come in for Thomas. Or maybe that’s one for Tuesday to manage minutes 
  • Options
    edited February 23
    It appears we only have two players Injured and out of this game but Pompey have nine, I do not know how many would have been in their first 11