Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How many away games have we sold out the ticket allocation this season so far ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    With Exeter now selling out that’s now 7 this season, 8 if we cheekily include Cray Valley with 2 more potentially likely to join the list. Not too shabby given the season we’ve had
    Sterling effort from the fans when you consider that the players haven’t turned up away this season. What is it two wins (Wigan & Derby) away all season? Must be our worst ever away record in this division (possibly in all divisions it is that bad!)
    Top of head….

Once went 28 or was it 29 away games without a win …. Until we beat QPR 4-1 away.

Trust me that was one terrible run . 

Sure @shirty5 would confirm.

Do agree though our fans have had a rough deal this season .
    I happen to know that was Airman's first away game!
  • Options
    Slightly off topic but when was the last home sellout?
  • Options
    Slightly off topic but when was the last home sellout?
    Doncaster play-off at a guess.
  • Options
    Taking a thousand to Carlisle was quite an achievement 
  • Options

Anyone know what the average numbers per away game has been so far this season ?
  • Options

Anyone know what the average numbers per away game has been so far this season ?
     Up to the 4/1/24 the average was 1,047 according to this awful site  https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/league-one-away-attendances-pompey-carlisle-united-bolton-reading-barnsley-4465090?page=4

• Options
    Does @oohaahmortimer think our away numbers have improved over the last few years all considered?!
  • Options
    clive said:

Up to the 4/1/24 the average was 1,047 according to this awful site  https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/league-one-away-attendances-pompey-carlisle-united-bolton-reading-barnsley-4465090?page=4

Averages get skewed by the size of the away end available. If your popular local away games sell out, then your numbers could be a lot higher. The Orient away section is only 1000 when we can take a lot  more, whereas the Wigan away end is 4800 and Barnsley 4700, games which are a lot less attractive, but ideal for say Bolton fans. 
  • Options
    clive said:

Averages get skewed by the size of the away end available. If your popular local away games sell out, then your numbers could be a lot higher. The Orient away section is only 1000 when we can take a lot  more, whereas the Wigan away end is 4800 and Barnsley 4700, games which are a lot less attractive, but ideal for say Bolton fans. 
    There probably should be minimum numbers set for away fan allocations and clubs told they must be able to offer at least that minimum amount to away fans if they want to play in the division they are in. The orient allocation is ridiculously small. 1,500 should be the minimum for L1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clive said:

There probably should be minimum numbers set for away fan allocations and clubs told they must be able to offer at least that minimum amount to away fans if they want to play in the division they are in. The orient allocation is ridiculously small. 1,500 should be the minimum for L1
    Not really fair if your stadium only holds 5,000 like fleetwood for example …! The 10% of capacity system works absolutely fine in my opinion. 
  • Options
    clive said:

Not really fair if your stadium only holds 5,000 like fleetwood for example …! The 10% of capacity system works absolutely fine in my opinion. 
    If teams like Fleetwood are not prepared to build a bigger stadium then they should probably stick to playing in the leagues lower down the ladder.

there is a simple solution for those clubs that feel they can’t meet the minimum number and that’s by the EFl capping the maximum adult ticket price for away fans that they can charge to say £10 or £15. 
    Fleetwood are playing in a league lower down the ladder. As are we.
  • Options
    Someone found a brilliant website once which ranked away support numbers by % sold of allocation per game so whether we sold 1,000 or 2,500 at Orient we’d still get the same 100% as Bolton if they sold 4,000 at Barnsley presuming both allocations sold out.

I can’t remember the season but don’t think it was too long ago, I remember @oohaahmortimer loving this site, think we were ranked top 6-8 if I recall with possibly Pompey, Plymouth and Sheff Weds at the top.

Wonder if it’s still out there and up to date this season it was probably the best away support gauge ever reported on.
  • Options
    Someone found a brilliant website once which ranked away support numbers by % sold of allocation per game so whether we sold 1,000 or 2,500 at Orient we’d still get the same 100% as Bolton if they sold 4,000 at Barnsley presuming both allocations sold out.

I can’t remember the season but don’t think it was too long ago, I remember @oohaahmortimer loving this site, think we were ranked top 6-8 if I recall with possibly Pompey, Plymouth and Sheff Weds at the top.

Wonder if it’s still out there and up to date this season it was probably the best away support gauge ever reported on.
    % of away support to home gates id the key.

Fleetwood or Burton taking 150 and us taking, for example 1000, would amount to similar percentages.
  • Options

Fleetwood or Burton taking 150 and us taking, for example 1000, would amount to similar percentages.
    Orient bringing 3k to the Valley this season and Charlton only taking 1k to Brisbane Road would only evidence that they’ve got a small ground 
  • Options
    edited March 30
    Out of curiosity: for these games which have sold out,  how many have had a noticeable presence of Charlton fans in the home areas, or at least has anyone on here reading this sat quietly in a home area?
  • Options

Orient bringing 3k to the Valley this season and Charlton only taking 1k to Brisbane Road would only evidence that they’ve got a small ground 
    I'd suggest that if the away support was known for Burton or Fleetwood, the away support % would be similar.
  • Options
    edited March 31
    Myself and my bud were at a home game against Hull in the very early ‘80s, stood on the East Terrace (due to the lack of souls on that vast expanse for most games then, we did have a little sit down for the odd game..)   

Despite an overall crowd of around 5k(?), we were able to count the number of away fans in the Jimmy Seed stand.   

15-20 I believe it was. 

Of course, being 13-14 years
    old, we thought that was hilarious.

But with great age comes great wisdom - and respect.

Hats off to each and every one of those Hull fans who made the journey.  

(Maybe someone with access to actual stats can correct/tidy mine up a little?).

Great times.   
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Myself and my bud were at a home game against Hull in the very early ‘80s, stood on the East Terrace (due to the lack of souls on that vast expanse for most games then, we did have a little sit down for the odd game..)   

With an overall crowd of around 5k(?), we were able to count the number of away fans in the Jimmy Seed stand.   

15-20 I believe it was. 

Of course, being 13-14 years
    old, we thought that was hilarious.

But with great age comes great wisdom - and respect.

Hats off to each and every one of those Hull fans who made the journey.  

(Maybe someone with access to actual stats can correct/tidy mine up a little?).

Great times.   
    i give you Fleetwood at the valley this season 

• Options
    Fleetwood are a club punching well above their weight though. Historically always a tiny non-league club who've done incredibly well to spend a decade at this level.

There are a few National league clubs and even a couple at North/South level who get bigger gates than them.
  • Options
    I wasnt slagging them off. Just responding to P2TP’s comment about being able to count the away fans 
  • Options
    So just the Wycombe away game to add to the list for the season now:

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/cambridge-away-sold-out

• Options
    With Exeter now selling out that’s now 7 this season, 8 if we cheekily include Cray Valley with 2 more potentially likely to join the list. Not too shabby given the season we’ve had
    + Cambridge now added and Wycombe surely will be on the list for the season. If Nathan does get whichever players he wants and the 2024/25 season starts well then the Valley Gold membership is likely going to make a big difference for getting away tickets next season