Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD : Derby County Vs Charlton Athletic : Tuesday 27th February 2024 : KO 19.45

Tonight we travel to Pride Park for a match with 2nd placed Derby County, and the third in the trilogy of "Toughies"
"Never on the field of football conflict was so much owed to so many by so few"...and what a night this could be to start repaying every one of us...even a draw and clean sheet , but a win...ecstasy...🙄
Tonight we start without our MOTM, Jones from Saturday, something inside me tells me that we will do ok tonight, but with plenty of matches tonight, we could maybe end the night in the bottom 4 should we lose...but that ain't gonna happen...is it...

We have met on 90 previous occasions winning 31, the Rams 39 and the remaining 20 fixtures resulting in draws, Derby ran out 1-0 victors at The Valley earlier this month thanks to Nathaniel Mendez-Laing’s first-half effort...

So here we go...

Panutche Camará, Conor Coventry, Freddie Ladapo and Macaulay Gillesphey start for the Addicks in this evening’s game against Derby County.

They replace the suspended Lloyd Jones, while George Dobson and Alfie May move to the bench.

Terell Thomas will captain Charlton while Lucas Ness returns to the squad with Tyreeq Bakinson missing out.

The Addicks are expected to line-up again in a 3-5-2 formation with Rarmani Edmonds-Green joining Thomas and Gillesphey in the back three in front of Harry Isted.

Coventry and Camará join Karoy Anderson in midfield with Tennai Watson and Thierry Small operating as wing-backs.

Ladapo will partner the in-form Daniel Kanu up front.

Ness, Dobson and May are joined on the bench by Ashley Maynard-Brewer, Tayo Edun, Tyreece Campbell and Chuks Aneke.

Charlton: Isted; Edmonds-Green, Thomas (c), Gillesphey; T.Watson, Coventry, Camará, Anderson, Small; Ladapo, Kanu

Subs: Maynard-Brewer, Ness, Edun, Dobson, Campbell, May, Aneke

Comments

• Options
    COYR! 2-1 win 
  • Options
    Thomas captain!
  • Options
    Rotation, rotation, rotation. As the TV show would be called if it was about our midfield.
  • Options
    Thomas captain!
    Was surprised when I saw it but then you read through and there's not really anyone else.
  • Options
    Bold moves from Jones, lots of changes. When it works it looks like genius, when it doesn't it looks like you don't actually know your best side.

Bakinson not even on the bench is surprising but Coventry straight into the side must be the nail in the "Jones doesn't rate him" theory.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 27
    " in form Kanu".....???

Takes me back to the heady days of the 90's when Leaburn (Carl) was often noted in the oppositions matchday programme as " the most feared striker in the division". 

Nathan Jones staking his reputation by dropping both the captain & top goalscorer. We'll see in less than an hour. 
  • Options
    Notice that the cut-off for a 2-game ban (10-bookings) is after 37-games - So May and Dobson just have to avoid a booking against Northampton and Cheltenham now, provided they're not involved tonight.
  • Options
    edited February 27
    Like that line up. Well, understand the thinking.
    Thomas as captain is a strange one but guess he’s the longest serving at least. Perhaps the armband will add some composure to his undoubted heart.
    COYRs

• Options
    edited February 27
    Gillesphey 80-1 to score first & 33-1 anytime scorer with PP.
  • Options
    I expect Coventry and Canada to be deeper
    Anderson the attacking one.  Little Terry and Tennai bombing up and down the flanks 
    surprised not to see Asiimwe on the bench tbh in case Tennai breaks again but I suppose REG can play full back if needed and Nessy slot into the middle.

emty of options with the squad.

and if it’s all square after an hour we have Chuks and Alfie to come on and cause chaos
  • Options
    That midfield is punchy, like it a lot
  • Options
    edited February 27
    Jury is out on the back three, but I don't mind the midfield. A bit more progressive and reckon it's aimed at attacking Derby a bit more than we did to Pompey on Saturday.
  • Options
    Not complaining about the rotation, good to see the players getting rested where possible

Hopefully it'll cut down on injuries a little bit more...

Did I expect to see Dobson dropped though tonight, not a chance in hell

With him a booking away from a two match ban, might be the right decision though, same for May

Kanu and Anderson are rightfully making themselves undropable at the moment
    Bigger games ahead for Dobson and May to play in so I agree.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sorry , one of the reasons I have against our manager is he keeps changing the side around. Okay Jones has a two match ban Barkinson has gone Altogether.

If Nathan was one of our other two managers which we have had this season people would be saying he doesn’t know his bestside.

May and Dobson one more booking and a ban he has to play them against Northampton or Cheltenham. 

Tonight is nil points and fingers crossed other teams around us do likewise. 3-0
  • Options
    Only Charlton could have one of our best players play against us whilst on loan. 

Surely that could have been written into the deal ffs 
  • Options
    Like the look of that line up 
  • Options
    edited February 27
    I'm looking forward to seeing Connor Coventry's performance be over micro-analysed.

:) 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Thomas captain!
    Was surprised when I saw it but then you read through and there's not really anyone else.
    Well someone in the team has won the league as captain…
  • Options
    Take a draw. Coyr
  • Options
    edited February 27
    good line up probably the best available, just a shame May n Dobson seem to not fit into Jones's plans at the minute .. still, it's good the team is now based a lot on physicality and sheer graft n grit
  • Options
    Seems like he wants to outwork Derby. No issue with that but for all the huff and puff, we need an end product. 

Still, I would take a draw but hopefully we can sneak a win!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!