Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Goals from set pieces

Just seen a stat on Sky Monday Night Football showing that Arsenal are averaging 0.71 goals per game from set pieces. Ours must be something like 0.10 or less.

Comments

• Options
    Just seen a stat on Sky Monday Night Football showing that Arsenal are averaging 0.71 goals per game from set pieces. Ours must be something like 0.10 or less.
    0.1, I think that’s being quite generous!
  • Options
    0.1, I think that’s being quite generous!
    Yes, I was thinking that as I typed. Have we scored as many as 3-4 goals from set pieces from our 36 league games? 
  • Options
    I think we’ve only scored 1 goal from a set piece, will have a Quick Look in the stat bank, to see if it’s in there.
  • Options
    Jones has two goals this season... both from corners... Bolton (A) - Cambridge (H) if I remember rightly
  • Options
    Arsenal have 5 in 38 minutes tonight, but none from a set piece.
  • Options
    I am a Charlton supporter, what's one of those?
  • Options
    Jones has two goals this season... both from corners... Bolton (A) - Cambridge (H) if I remember rightly
    Gives an average of 0.06 per game.
  • Options
    5 apparently.

• Options
    Cheltenham 9th in set piece land.
  • Options
    Awful stat. Not sure if you could call the one against Bolton a "set piece" goal. Yes it came from a corner but not directly & iirc the ball was passed a couple of times before he shot. Hardly a set pieces routine or direct from a corner. 

And when was last time time we scored direct from a free kick ? Fraser last year at Pompey ? We've not had a decent free kick taker since Ricky Holmes. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cheltenham have scored from as many set pieces as they have open play and being 9th top scorers from set pieces for a team in the relegation zone tells you everything about there strengths and weaknesses. Let's hope the team tomorrow night have moved on from conceding soft goals from set pieces because it would be typical Charlton to concede an injury time set piece to level the score 1-1 and having missed a barrage of chances to kill the game.
  • Options
    5 apparently.

We’ve been absolutely dreadful at corners and free kicks for ages, I hope this is another area, that will be addressed in the transfer window.
  • Options
    edited April 19
    Jacko wasn't a big bloke but used to score from corners. You could see he was just aggressive in attacking the ball. Our players (and particularly CBs) seem to walk around and politely jump next to their opposite number as the ball gets headed away once again. (When the delivery has got past the first man).
  • Options
    He got a lot of stick when he sometimes got them wrong, but we scored a lot more set piece goals last year from Morgan's deliveries, than we have this year with the succession of people who've taken them.
  • Options
    He got a lot of stick when he sometimes got them wrong, but we scored a lot more set piece goals last year from Morgan's deliveries, than we have this year with the succession of people who've taken them.
    Morgan, jeez :)