Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Warnock tipping us for promotion

edited August 2007 in General Charlton
The Championship looks a lot more open than the top flight; in fact, it promises to be the tightest division of all. For automatic promotion I look no further than two of the clubs who came down last season: Sheffield United (18th in the Premier League last season) and Charlton Athletic (19th). Bryan Robson, who succeeded meduring the summer at Bramall Lane, has added James Beattie (signed from Everton for £4m), Gary Naysmith (Everton, £1m) and Billy Sharp (Scunthorpe, £2m) to the squad and I believe if anyone can finish above the Blades they will be guaranteed automatic promotion.

I like Alan Pardew's signings at Charlton. Luke Varney (Crewe, £2m) is a striker I'veinquired about in the past with Dario Gradi. The only thing that surprised me about him going was the fee, which was double the amount I was willing to pay but I suppose it is the going rate in the present climate. I see him as a straight swap for Darren Bent. What with Chris Iwelumo (Colchester, free), Svetoslav Todorov (Portsmouth, free), Izale McLeod (MK Dons, £1.1m) and Zheng Zhi (Shandong Luneng, £1.25m) to perm the strikeforce from, they look a strong threat. With Alan making a huge profit on Bent as well it's not a bad bit of business.

his review of other clubs:

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/premiership/article2853773.ece

Comments