Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hospitality evening at The Valley

Comments

• Options
    Was this evening advertised before last night? 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    So Methven calls the shots.
    Maybe that is interesting to nobody else but me.
    We were all interested when it was Glicksten, Hulyer, Fryer, Allen, Murray, the Spivs, Duchatelet, Nimer, and Sandgaard but this lot are exempt from scrutiny seemingly.
    Everyone is fair game for scrutiny. But you seem overtly obsessed and probably negate any justifiable scrutiny in the process. 
    Exactly.

I too thought it interesting that having kept a relatively low profile in recent months he turned up at this event but it was clearly for a specific set of fans ie lounge and box punters.

He clearly is involved and no one other than Ronnie Moore believes he isn't.   

He has a minor shareholding (which maybe he bought and which maybe was his fee for brokering the deal) and as has been said here and previously he's the link between the US owners and the UK directors.  It's not a secret.

Do I trust him or think he's doing a great job?  Not so far.

Did he overpromise to the US owners and is now chronically under delivering? Quite possibly.

But I really don't care about his trousers or his secondary school. 
    Your indifference to sartorial elegance is duly noted.  ;)  
    I said I don't care about his trousers, not my own : - )
  • Options
    One other thing that came out of last night....

There were two members of the senior management team who actively wanted to get Nathan Jones in at the beginning of the season.
    Unfortunately he was still intent on doing stuff with his family.  Right man wrong time.  Fast forward a few months and the landscape changed.

Those two board members who wanted him were Jim Rodwell and Andy Scott

So maybe they do deserve a place at the top table
  • Options
    Anyone brave enough to wear a pair of strides that colour when they're the wrong side of 50 has my full respect (or they're off their rocker) what with the extra secretion from both front and back a regular occurrence he's a brave man or he may be a rarity with all these faculties still in good working order
    Hes not 50 yet - must have had a tough paper round :-)
  • Options
    The structure and behind the scenes team maybe seem slightly top heavy, but the previous complaints about having a PL/Championship standard admin structure and a L1/L2 standard team and manager no longer applies, so it doesn't bother me.

Ultimately it doesn't matter how creative you are with your packages, the easiest way to sell hospitality at a decent price is to have a successful team. Nobody wants to take clients to watch us lose to L1 minnows in front of a 2/3 empty Valley.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 7
    The structure and behind the scenes team maybe seem slightly top heavy, but the previous complaints about having a PL/Championship standard admin structure and a L1/L2 standard team and manager no longer applies, so it doesn't bother me.

Ultimately it doesn't matter how creative you are with your packages, the easiest way to sell hospitality at a decent price is to have a successful team. Nobody wants to take clients to watch us lose to L1 minnows in front of a 2/3 empty Valley.
    I think it’s close to an impossible sell , it’s relying on fans generosity
    what business would want to be associated with watching this guff unless they have an interest in Charlton 
    I even think it’s a graft in the Championship , in the Prem it’s a different ball game and there’s something to flog 
    but fair play to them trying 

• Options
    I understand why people think Methven calls the shots, could it be that as he is the direct link to the owners it is they that are calling the shots and relaying their wishes through their link - Methven?
  • Options
    I understand why people think Methven calls the shots, could it be that as he is the direct link to the owners it is they that are calling the shots and relaying their wishes through their link - Methven?
    Possibly more the case now Jones has been brought in?
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Don't even think it's a fne line between justified scrutiny and full on harassment, whenever the blokes name comes up.
    Are you saying that because I talk about Methven on Charlton Life that constitutes harassment of the man?
  • Options
    I agree with judging by results and points acquired.
    So far this season has been a 4 out of 10 at best in my opinion.
  • Options
    just on a side note I was on a corporate at Ipswich v Bristol City Tuesday night, absolutely fantastic (the 2nd half helped!). Love Portman Road, cracking old school stadium and was packed to the rafters....it's a definite easy(er) sell in the Champ.

Oh and Ipswich TV have Matt Holland doing the Minto bit
    One of the better stadiums, the stands along both sides have not changed much since terracing.
    A decent away day all in.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Gribbo said:
    Don't even think it's a fne line between justified scrutiny and full on harassment, whenever the blokes name comes up.
    Are you saying that because I talk about Methven on Charlton Life that constitutes harassment of the man?
    Yeah, I'd say constantly questioning his motives on a public forum, without any good reason, could be looked at as harassment.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    One other thing that came out of last night....

There were two members of the senior management team who actively wanted to get Nathan Jones in at the beginning of the season.
    Unfortunately he was still intent on doing stuff with his family.  Right man wrong time.  Fast forward a few months and the landscape changed.

Those two board members who wanted him were Jim Rodwell and Andy Scott

So maybe they do deserve a place at the top table
    Hmmm. But why so far in the opposite direction with appointing Appleton if your ambition was NJ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    seth plum said:
    Gribbo said:
    Yeah, I'd say constantly questioning his motives on a public forum, without any good reason, could be looked at as harassment.
    In this thread I am questioning his role not his motives.
    Have you got any knowledge or opinion as to what it may be?
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    I know existing purchasers of hospitality packages that got an invitation via email. (I am one of those punters and didn't get an invitation.)
  • Options
    edited March 7
    seth plum said:
    So Methven calls the shots.
    Maybe that is interesting to nobody else but me.
    We were all interested when it was Glicksten, Hulyer, Fryer, Allen, Murray, the Spivs, Duchatelet, Nimer, and Sandgaard but this lot are exempt from scrutiny seemingly.
    Everyone is fair game for scrutiny. But you seem overtly obsessed and probably negate any justifiable scrutiny in the process. 
    Exactly.

I too thought it interesting that having kept a relatively low profile in recent months he turned up at this event but it was clearly for a specific set of fans ie lounge and box punters.

He clearly is involved and no one other than Ronnie Moore believes he isn't.   

He has a minor shareholding (which maybe he bought and which maybe was his fee for brokering the deal) and as has been said here and previously he's the link between the US owners and the UK directors.  It's not a secret.

Do I trust him or think he's doing a great job?  Not so far.

Did he overpromise to the US owners and is now chronically under delivering? Quite possibly.

But I really don't care about his trousers or his secondary school. 
    Your indifference to sartorial elegance is duly noted.  ;)  
    I said I don't care about his trousers, not my own : - )
    Is there such a garment as Crown Woods slacks?
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Only question from the floor surrounding player transfers and contracts related to strategy around loans - NJ - will be fewer in number - focus on perms as far as possible going forward and Small - he is locked down - period not quoted, but suspect that confirms that the extension trigger is at our discretion. 

Enjoyed the evening and it all felt as positive as our recent run. Well done to Steve Sutherland and team for co-ordinating the event. COYRs!
    Didn’t we hear that last summer too?
    Small, Coventry, REG, Gillesphy on perms in January I think were more indicators of course of direction. We have had previous windows with 3-5 loans no perms. My sense was it will take time, but NJ and the owners want their own pool of talent with lots of assets within it. Understandably (and this was not said) some of those assets will be sold and some will help us kick on.

Perhaps the upturn in form is influencing the tint of my spectacles, but I for the first time in many years (I did get sucked into Sandgaard’s ‘moment’ of enthusiasm for his first 6 months in charge) feel that we are a club on the up and focused on better times. 

Fwiw too, I had never heard from CM in a live setting before last night and was relieved to hear his candour and see his commitment on display. The latter point was evidenced by him clearly having done preparatory work on the presentations he gave - there was no winging it. He was clear on course of direction, partnerships, rationale behind said partnerships etc.

The most exciting of those developments was the Mountain to Valley partnership which was confirmed to give CAFC first refusal on any player graduating from the Mount Pleasant  Academy based in Jamaica but drawing from all of the elite young players across the Caribbean islands. The thought of first dibs on a Leon Bailey or Dwight Yorke of the future coming to the Valley sounds like a great prospective route to boosting our academy pool.
    Re players from Mount Pleasant Academy, I don’t think we’ll be able to force people to come here if, say, Liverpool, Citeh, etc. express an interest. 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    It was invite-only. 
  • Options
    Stop talking sense. 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:
    seth plum said:
    Why is Methven there?
    He says the running of the club is for others.
    No.  Running the team is for others.  He doesn't get involved in the playing side of things.

He was there because this is very much under his remit as it related to the income of the club and he oversees the strategic thinking of the club.  With the likes of Steve Sutherland reporting in to him.
    Isn’t that the remit of the Managing Director (Rodwell)? 
    It's the remit of the whole of the senior management team I suppose.  Jim Rodwell was present but didn't speak.  Hospitality is something Charie is well versed in and has worked on it for Arsenal and Spurs amongst others so clearly this evening was more in his wheelhouse than anyone else hence he did a lot of the talking
    I know I sound cynical but just baffles me that a heavy loss making club our size has above department heads a Managing Director, a Sporting Director, a Technical Director, a Finance Director and above all that a Minister Without Portfolio corporate shmoozer! 

Still, at the end of the day it’s not my money. Just find it massively too heavy. 
    In summary - Thomas called in Charlie to help him and advise him.  Charlie suggested hiring good quality people at the top of the business to make better strategic decisions.  Thomas' ego wouldn't go for that as he wants to do everything himself - but realised he can't so he decided to sell. 

Charlie gathered together a group of investors.
    Sold the idea of Charlton to them - "8th best academy in the country, best community trust in the country, 12th best womens team in the country, large ground in good condition, space to expand the stadium if that's the desire (more so than many clubs).  All things that make us appealing and unique as well as some stats about our catchment area and potential fan base.  They can see a huge amount of potential growth.

So the management structure is split to allocate specific roles and responsibilities to specific people without spreading people too thin.  It's basically the opposite of what Thomas was trying to achieve which was just bottleneck.

Whether it is TOO top heavy remains to be seen.  Whether there are too many chiefs and not enough indians remains to be seen.

Appreciate your insights @Swisdom

The phrase in bold is interesting, given that the football club doesn't own the ground. All they really have at this stage is a relatively short term lease, at £500k pa (if I recall correctly) on a large ground, in so-so condition. Do you get any sense of the investors level of interest in acquiring the ground from Duchatelet?

It's that, above all else, which would convince me that they are serious players, here for the long term.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    seth plum said:
    Why is Methven there?
    He says the running of the club is for others.
    No.  Running the team is for others.  He doesn't get involved in the playing side of things.

He was there because this is very much under his remit as it related to the income of the club and he oversees the strategic thinking of the club.  With the likes of Steve Sutherland reporting in to him.
    Forgive me but I thought Steve Sutherland
    only had a Temporary role at the club.

Trust he has been taken on full time now.

The fellow on the left looks a right plonker,
    🤣
  • Options
    Notice Charlie can’t be bothered to wear a Charlton tie, where as Steve has his on.
  • Options
    Notice Charlie can’t be bothered to wear a Charlton tie, where as Steve has his on.
    A Charlton tie would match his shirt better. Nasty colour clash between the green tie and the lilac stripes of his shirt...