Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Recommend a Blu Ray player

As above, been a long time since I bought one, any recommendations? Don’t want to spend loads as not used a huge amount, under £250 ideally.

Comments

• Options
    Panasonic DP-UB450EB
  • Options
    Panasonic DP-UB450EB
    Thanks, just been looking at various reviews on top 5 etc and this comes out very well in the mid range as long as you don't want to play DVD audio discs (which I don't).
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Assumed this was one of those threads that get bumped from 15 years ago!
    Feels like it! Not used often, but would still like the option, hence not wanting to spend loads, can't believe you can still pay £1k for one!
  • Options
    Are bluray discs still sold?
  • Options
    PlayStation 2.
  • Options
    If you have to have one nowadays I think they are all much of a muchness. I'd would just make sure it plays 4K discs.
    I have 2 Samsung OLEDs, sound bar and 2 Blu-ray players not that I use the players much these days, (2 rooms 2 setups). Makes everything easy to setup and use. Probably get better versions of all 3 but they do for me.  I still like to have the occasional  disc especially if its a decent film with good sound but then then I tend to use the setup without the sound bar and use the AV amp setup. 
  • Options
    Can someone recommend a good VHS player while they’re at it . 
    I actually need to get a VHS player.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can someone recommend a good VHS player while they’re at it . 
    Obsolete now, it's all betamax
  • Options
    IMIKEYA Movie Film Projector Model Ornament Vintage Resin Projector Showcase Model Crafts Home Decoration

Can't go wrong.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Panasonic DP-UB450EB
    Thanks, just been looking at various reviews on top 5 etc and this comes out very well in the mid range as long as you don't want to play DVD audio discs (which I don't).
    Is it multi region Rob?
  • Options
    I understand this one to tick some boxes

https://www.richersounds.com/pana-dpub820.html

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Panasonic DP-UB450EB
    Is it multi region Rob?
    Yer, a little extra to go multi region but worth doing.
  • Options
    I think physical media still has a place.

We may not want it in ‘our white and grey minimalist lounge diners’ but surely we’re being ripped off?

My DVD and Blu-Ray collection isn’t large but includes BBC Series and Documentaries, Classic Films from a multitude of studios, Disney Animated Films, Old TV Series, Jurassic Park and other Universal Titles and Independent and Foreign Films.

If I were to sign up to every streaming service to encompass all of these (even if they were available), I would be broke.

Or are people just keen to eat what they are fed (like the visual equivalent of Heart FM and Capital)?
  • Options

We may not want it in ‘our white and grey minimalist lounge diners’ but surely we’re being ripped off?

My DVD and Blu-Ray collection isn’t large but includes BBC Series and Documentaries, Classic Films from a multitude of studios, Disney Animated Films, Old TV Series, Jurassic Park and other Universal Titles and Independent and Foreign Films.

If I were to sign up to every streaming service to encompass all of these (even if they were available), I would be broke.

Or are people just keen to eat what they are fed (like the visual equivalent of Heart FM and Capital)?
    I collect physical media. CDs, Blu ray discs, and now a few 4K UHD discs. I'm yet to find a drive to play the 4K discs as it seems quite complicated to do the setup. 

I hope physical media don't die. The image quality of streaming can't compare to that of physical discs. Also special features/ behind the scenes contents can't be found on those streaming platforms.
  • Options

Agreed.

Hopefully it will never die - the resurgence of vinyl is a case in point. I have a much bigger vinyl collection now than when I was 18!
  • Options
    Thanks all, I'll plump for the Panasonic I think.

Whilst I long ago got rid of most of my CD collection in favour of streaming, I still have a lot of Vinyl and that's not going anywhere!
  • Options
    To me Blu-ray players are much of a muchness, a cheap one will do the job.

And yes physical media is still worthwhile. Many box sets have loads of extras you won't find on streaming, and streaming services can drop or edit/censor programmes.