Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

U17 World Cup.......every year

Yes folks that's right, the extremely sensible and not at all money-grabbing chaps at FIFA have today decided that starting in 2025, the U17 World Cup will now be held every single year!

Like the senior world cup, it will also be expanded to 48 teams. And as if that wasn't stupid enough, the next FIVE tournaments from 2025-2029 will all be held in Qatar!

I've absolutely no idea how teams will have time to qualify for it, or when the various Confederations will have the time to fit their own U17 tournaments in.

Comments

• Options
    You cannot compare it to a World Cup. If it was held every four years loads of players would miss out due to age restrictions and limitations.

Let's be honest, does it matter where it's held?  Was you planning on going?
  • Options
    edited March 14
    PopIcon said:
    You cannot compare it to a World Cup. If it was held every four years loads of players would miss out due to age restrictions and limitations.

It was never held every 4 years, it's always been every 2 years, which is fine and surely covers your point on players missing out. But every single year is ridiculous. Like i said how will Confederations fit their own tournaments in, how is there time for qualifiers?

And yes it does matter where it's held. It's called a 'world' cup. Holding it in the same country every year kind of misses the point.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

It was never held every 4 years, it's always been every 2 years, which is fine and surely covers your point on players missing out. But every single year is ridiculous. Like i said how will Confederations fit their own tournaments in, how is there time for qualifiers?

And yes it does matter where it's held. It's called a 'world' cup. Holding it in the same country every year kind of misses the point.
    I think clubs should be more concerned about the tournament. Assuming it happens in winter, teams are going to be without players for a couple of months.
  • Options
    Yes folks that's right, the extremely sensible and not at all money-grabbing chaps at FIFA have today decided that starting in 2025, the U17 World Cup will now be held every single year!

Like the senior world cup, it will also be expanded to 48 teams. And as if that wasn't stupid enough, the next FIVE tournaments from 2025-2029 will all be held in Qatar!

I've absolutely no idea how teams will have time to qualify for it, or when the various Confederations will have the time to fit their own U17 tournaments in.
    It's funny because reading each sentence made this more and more absurd.

The first, FIFA changing it to every five years:
    Okay. I think every two years is better, but holding it every year allows more young players to play for their countries and against a wider range of oppositions. It might seem a little excessive now, but I could also see it becoming an important yearly event for countries and a great way to get age groups playing competitive football when many of the players won't yet be in senior teams.

Like the senior world cup, it will also be expanded to 48 teams: 
    Okay, this seems quite excessive, it's a lot of coordination, it's a lot of pressure on federations and players and coaches. And it takes some of the prestige away.

And as if that wasn't stupid enough, the next FIVE tournaments from 2025-2029 will all be held in Qatar!
    There's the FIFA we know and love!!!!!!!!!!!!!! $$$$$$$$$$
  • Options
    Just nuts.

If you have a World Cup every year, how on earth would qualifications be organised?
  • Options
    edited March 15
    SDAddick said:

It's funny because reading each sentence made this more and more absurd.

The first, FIFA changing it to every five years:
    Okay. I think every two years is better, but holding it every year allows more young players to play for their countries and against a wider range of oppositions. It might seem a little excessive now, but I could also see it becoming an important yearly event for countries and a great way to get age groups playing competitive football when many of the players won't yet be in senior teams.

Like the senior world cup, it will also be expanded to 48 teams: 
    Okay, this seems quite excessive, it's a lot of coordination, it's a lot of pressure on federations and players and coaches. And it takes some of the prestige away.

And as if that wasn't stupid enough, the next FIVE tournaments from 2025-2029 will all be held in Qatar!
    There's the FIFA we know and love!!!!!!!!!!!!!! $$$$$$$$$$
    It will definitely do that, as for sure you're going to end up with a lot of elite 16 year olds playing two years running. Certainly from lesser nations where the pool of talent will be smaller. And hosting it in the same country every year also takes some of the prestige away too.

It's also likely to mean that some of the top clubs are hardly likely to see much of their players. If you factor in qualifiers, warm up matches, pre-tournament training camp, the tournament itself, these kids will be away from their clubs for many weeks every year.

That might be a good thing as they'll get the experience of playing against other top international sides, and i guess they won't actually be playing more football because with Qatar the tournament will be held in our winter during the season. But if you're an elite 16-17 year old, you might actually be better off playing U21 football, so not sure how it works if your country insist you are called up. Do clubs have the right to veto call ups at that level?
  • Options
    The 48th best u17 team must be atrocious.
  • Options
    Just nuts.

If you have a World Cup every year, how on earth would qualifications be organised?
    256 team tournament - straight knock out