Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Konsa and Gomez

edited March 20 in General Charlton
Both 26 years old and entering their primes with the England squad. In an alternate universe this is our current centre back pairing…

Comments

• Options
    edited March 20
    #madeincharlton

I know they are currently both being called up partly due to injuries and for their versatility, but both must fancy they have a chance of ousting Maguire, even if he's been playing better this season.

And to think a lot of our fans didn't rate Konsa.
  • Options
    Don't think we could afford their wages, if only though.
  • Options
    Brilliant for both of them, Konsa had Mings to school him to where he is now, hopefully Gomez can stay injury free for the finals :)
  • Options
    That is the nature of football sadly. Imagine how much better Sheffield United would have been if they had kept Maguire, Kyle Walker, Calvert-Lewin and Ramsdale.
  • Options
    And to be fair at the time Konsa didn't stand out in the way Gomez did. Gomez went straight to Liverpool, whereas Konsa was bought by Championship Brentford, then moved to newly promoted Villa.

Konsa has clearly improved, especially under Emery.
    True though he had similar attributes, issue for many was that he wasn’t the big tough consistent player fans generally look for in a L1 CB. Far easier for him to thrive at a well run club in a good team than coming through here under Slade and then playing various positions under Robinson.
  • Options
    Katrien wasn't wrong was she 😄
  • Options
    Konsa was always a talent but didn’t set the world on fire .  I’m not sure it’s true that people didn’t rate him. He has improved enormously . Gomez was a Rolls Royce at 17; bar injuries , he would have been the best centre back around .  I hope he leaves to scouse to play regularly in that position . 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Let's not forget the amount of different positions Konsa played for us. Clearly was a good player, and was always going to play at the top, but wasn't sure he would play for England, but fully deserved. Both of them, are the perfect modern day center half's.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Konsa was always a talent but didn’t set the world on fire .  I’m not sure it’s true that people didn’t rate him. He has improved enormously . Gomez was a Rolls Royce at 17; bar injuries , he would have been the best centre back around .  I hope he leaves to scouse to play regularly in that position . 
    He won our young player of the year in his first season with us.

Also as Dubai says he played a few positions, centre back, full back, and i think in midfield as well.
  • Options
    We should commission a statue on the lines of the West Ham one that is simply called, 'Champions'. 

Gomez, Konsa, Pope, throw in Gallagher and called it 'Like Dreams that Fade and Die'.  (Ours not theirs).

• Options
    Proud and sad at the same time, go shine lads.
    Why sad? Even if we was in the premier league, would have been extremely unlikely they would still be playing for us now. 
  • Options
    Both on the pitch for England tonight 
  • Options
    Heard Alfie Doughty being tipped for England on talksport too
  • Options
    Could you imagine that?

Pope, Konsa, Gomez, Doughty... and Maguire.
  • Options
    Could you imagine that?

Vs Nigeria with lookman & Aribo 
  • Options
    both did alright against Belgium, I don't think Konsa got out of the England half and was reluctant to make a pass more than 10 yards, but was sound defensively .. Gomez almost against his instincts made some good runs in attack and was quite effective .. I think both could make the Euro Finals squad .. not too many frills, did what they were presumably asked to do and both have come along very well this season and are maturing nicely, Gomez especially has surprised me .. nice to see Local London Lads doing well
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Both better options than Dunk
    Poor sod, not only appearing in front of millions with that insane moustache he managed to drop a bollock twice. 

For what its worth I rate Lewis Dunk and hope that in wet conditions and him not having the most dynamic of turning circles he has learned from the mistakes. He is a decent player and a ball winner, he properly attacks the ball. Never going to be first choice all the while Stones and Maguire are fit and I think is a level about Mings who is a walking red card
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Both better options than Dunk
    Not a very high bar to clear based on that performance but didn't do any their chances any harm I thought.

Gomez probably has the stronger hand due to his versatility being more proven at high level.
  • Options
    Could you imagine that?

Vs Nigeria with lookman & Aribo 
    Or v Wales with Matthews, Williams, and the other one I’ve thankfully forgotten the name of. 
  • Options
    I have had a view for a long time, not when it favoured us, that where a player debuts for England who came from an academy at League One level or below, the FA should make a payment to that club of approx £500k, maybe more. The rationale for this is to give smaller clubs an incentive to produce players who could turn out to be elite level and benefit the national side. They would have to play for England as it is the English FA. Maybe I would apply it to a non friendly game to qualify as caps are given out quite freely nowadays.
    Agreed. Unlike smaller associations, the FA can afford to do this too.

Watkins - Exeter
    Toney - Northampton
    Stones - Barnsley
    Gomez - Charlton
    Konsa - Charlton

That's 5 players in the recent games who started at clubs in L1, showing the importance of the football pyramid.

Bowen started even lower at Hereford.
    Not sure I agree. 

Lower league clubs have plenty of incentive to develop youth. Indeed they have to as transfer fees are beyond most. 

Also the details would be too complex eg what happens if the academy club is now in the top division but wasn’t when the player was there? What  time limit applies for stay at the academy in question?

perhaps more simply a more modest fee to the club that gave them their league debut and a fee to whatever academy held their registration between ages 16 and 18 ?

it gets murky if players move at a young age but you get my drift. 

All very hypothetical!

• Options
    edited March 27
    I think the driver would be where the club is now. The reason I thought it might be a good development was learning that some clubs were cutting back on their academies or thinking of getting rid of them altogether. Forgetting the clubs in question, this may not be best for developing English talent.
  • Options
    I think the driver would be where the club is now. The reason I thought it might be a good development was learning that some clubs were cutting back on their academies or thinking of getting rid of them altogether. Forgetting the clubs in question, this may not be best for developing English talent.

A tweak to EPPP to say the acquiring club need to pay £10M if the player ever plays for England or a comparable nation would be better.  If you get a player under EPPP rules for £30K and they go on to play for England then £10.03m will be cheap no matter who they are 
  • Options
    I have had a view for a long time, not when it favoured us, that where a player debuts for England who came from an academy at League One level or below, the FA should make a payment to that club of approx £500k, maybe more. The rationale for this is to give smaller clubs an incentive to produce players who could turn out to be elite level and benefit the national side. They would have to play for England as it is the English FA. Maybe I would apply it to a non friendly game to qualify as caps are given out quite freely nowadays.
    Agreed. Unlike smaller associations, the FA can afford to do this too.

Watkins - Exeter
    Toney - Northampton
    Stones - Barnsley
    Gomez - Charlton
    Konsa - Charlton

That's 5 players in the recent games who started at clubs in L1, showing the importance of the football pyramid.

Bowen started even lower at Hereford.
    Not sure I agree. 

Lower league clubs have plenty of incentive to develop youth. Indeed they have to as transfer fees are beyond most. 

Also the details would be too complex eg what happens if the academy club is now in the top division but wasn’t when the player was there? What  time limit applies for stay at the academy in question?

perhaps more simply a more modest fee to the club that gave them their league debut and a fee to whatever academy held their registration between ages 16 and 18 ?

it gets murky if players move at a young age but you get my drift. 

All very hypothetical!

But lower league clubs are rarely the ones who profit from the player. They often get picked off early, sometimes before even signing a professional contract, often for a meagre fee due to FA's own rules.

How about £100k a year for the academy the player was in between the ages of 12 and 16, paid to all clubs (PL, EFL, non league, Sunday league etc) when a player makes an England debut, to help encourage smaller clubs to run genuine academies, rather than just pick up the 16 years old let go by bigger clubs.

In this scenario we'd get money for Gomez and Konsa, but Ipswich would get the money for Nick Pope as he was with them until 16.