Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sunken ships of WW2 map

I've just come across this interesting website. Very helpful to anyone researching family history, or to understand just how far the war was and where the hot spots were.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/fe88b5e18c6443c7afaf6e32f8432687

Comments

• Options
    edited March 31
    My grandad was a sailor and got promoted and joined another ship during the war. A week after his promotion, his old ship was sunk by the germans and all his mates died. He was to blame for me being a Charlton fan! 
  • Options
    Interesting site with lots of useful information.

My grandfather was serving onboard HMS Frobisher at the Normandy landings.

I’m glad that the sight also shows the location of the RMS Lancastria which was sunk on 17 June 1940 off St. Nazaire while evacuation of British nationals and troops from France, two weeks after Dunkirk. It remains the largest single-ship loss of lives and was covered up by the UK government for reasons of moral. Still today there is a lack of openness concerning this loss and there is a strong campaign to recognise the situation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Lancastria?wprov=sfti1#Loss
  • Options
    When I was a kid on holiday somewhere abroad with my parents, we struck up a friendship with a couple who were older than my parents by perhaps fifteen years or so. The bloke, Tom was deaf and had been a gunner in The Royal Navy during WWII. He blamed his hearing loss on his gunnery role. I think my dad and Tom got along because during the early fifties my dad was also a gunner in The RN. Anyway. During the war Tom was on leave from his ship at home in London and received orders that he was to go directly to join a new ship. I think he said he was to join it in Scotland. To cut a long story short. Making his way to catch a train north, he tripped down some stairs at a railway station and broke his ankle and of course couldn’t join his ship. That ship was HMS Hood.  
  • Options

Cheers. 
  • Options
    edited March 31
    When I was a kid on holiday somewhere abroad with my parents, we struck up a friendship with a couple who were older than my parents by perhaps fifteen years or so. The bloke, Tom was deaf and had been a gunner in The Royal Navy during WWII. He blamed his hearing loss on his gunnery role. I think my dad and Tom got along because during the early fifties my dad was also a gunner in The RN. Anyway. During the war Tom was on leave from his ship at home in London and received orders that he was to go directly to join a new ship. I think he said he was to join it in Scotland. To cut a long story short. Making his way to catch a train north, he tripped down some stairs at a railway station and broke his ankle and of course couldn’t join his ship. That ship was HMS Hood.  
    Were there 3 survivors from that?

There was a couple of Merchant sailors lost from our tiny village during WW2. One of them was having to cover for an ill colleague and as a result didn't make it back, he told the fella taking him to the railway station that he wouldn't be back.

I was surprised at the lack of Axis ships lost in the European theatre, then realised that the Germans had a much smaller fleet than the RN and then eventually the USA too. Just compare that with the Japanese loses north of Australia, no wonder they recalled their troops from North Africa to protect their homeland.
  • Options

I’m glad that the sight also shows the location of the RMS Lancastria which was sunk on 17 June 1940 off St. Nazaire while evacuation of British nationals and troops from France, two weeks after Dunkirk. It remains the largest single-ship loss of lives and was covered up by the UK government for reasons of moral. Still today there is a lack of openness concerning this loss and there is a strong campaign to recognise the situation:

My Dad who was a Gunner in the RA just missed getting on the Lancastria  in Operation Aerial and was brought back to Plymouth on SS Beltoy in a convoy on 18/19 June 1940 from St. Nazaire. He always said some of his pals died on the Lancastria which was actually a Liner and they have no idea how many of our troops perished. 
  • Options

My Dad who was a Gunner in the RA just missed getting on the Lancastria  in Operation Aerial and was brought back to Plymouth on SS Beltoy in a convoy on 18/19 June 1940 from St. Nazaire. He always said some of his pals died on the Lancastria which was actually a Liner and they have no idea how many of our troops perished.

A lot of those that died were carried down the coast by the currents (almost as far as Biarritz!). There’s almost no Commonwealth war graves site that doesn’t include one or more of those lost on that terrible day.
  • Options
    My uncle spent the war as a stoker on submarines.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Can't seem to find HMS Piss The League, and that only sunk just before Christmas this year!
    Errrm……..last year.🤭
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't seem to find SS Montgomery. Is that because she ran aground rather than being an enemy sinking?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-ss-richard-montgomery-information-and-survey-reports/ss-richard-montgomery-background-information
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Can't seem to find HMS Piss The League, and that only sunk just before Christmas this year!
    Errrm……..last year.🤭
    Yeah sorry, HMS Piss The League VIII
  • Options
    Great web site . One thing that surprised me was how many of those ships that were sunk were fishing boats and cargo ships . Or perhaps that’s just what they were registered as ? 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Can't seem to find SS Montgomery. Is that because she ran aground rather than being an enemy sinking?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-ss-richard-montgomery-information-and-survey-reports/ss-richard-montgomery-background-information
    That was the first one I looked for, and then came to the same conclusion as you.
  • Options
    My uncle spent the war as a stoker on submarines.
    If you had posted that today I would have sussed it was an April Fool!!!!
  • Options
    edited April 1

My Grandmothers brother Fred ( who was responsible for me being a Charlton fan) was a stoker in the Merchant Navy during WWII. His ship was torpedoed on a Baltic convoy but luckily he was on deck having a cigarette break but still went into the water. Survival time in the water was minutes but he was lucky enough to get rescued when another ship in the convoy put scramble nets along its side. No ships stopped for men in the water. As luck would have it, that ship was also torpedoed a couple of days later and Fred again went into the water. Scramble nets yet again saved his life. Remarkable really as the chances of being rescued by scramble nets was tiny. 
  • Options
    My uncle spent the war as a stroker on submarines.

• Options
    @Baldybonce @DaveStorry You might be interested in this.
  • Options
    @Baldybonce @DaveStorry You might be interested in this.

Yes indeed. I'll do some digging to.