Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

University research on the role of football in response to military conflict

Dear all,

Leading up to the Euro tournament in June this year, I am conducting some research looking at fans’ views towards the role of football in response to military conflict. For those interested in this topic, I have created a short survey that should not take up too much of your time: https://doit.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9zZmrJfShOSBDDw

Participation is completely voluntary, but I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on this topic.

Comments

• Options
    Done
  • Options
    Done, made me think - cheers
  • Options
    Done
  • Options
    Really good survey. I enjoyed that. 
  • Options
    What a lot of bollocks.

Loaded questions throughout
  • Options
    What a lot of bollocks.

Yes but just give your view.
  • Options
    What a lot of bollocks.

I tend to agree 
  • Options
    edited April 5
    Poor quality questionnaire.
    Like the assumption that the Euro’s are a mega sporting event with global significance.
    The questions are loaded with assumptions.
    I filled it in, but only as something to do.
  • Options
    edited April 5
    Very surprised to not see Karl von Steiner or John Colby get a mention
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    What a lot of bollocks.

I tend to agree 
    Which question(s) did you think were loaded?  I often look at these research questionnaires and despair at how badly they're written.  But I thought this one was well set out, gave alternative options without leading and allowed for commentary to back up every yes/no answer.  It came across as quite interesting.  

I have obviously missed something: what about this one was "loaded"? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Done
  • Options
    Thanks for posting your questionnaire. I wish you well, but I'm not going to lie, I did struggle with it. I presume that as part of your report you'll be expected to write a critique of your own work, that being the case I've put a few points below you might want to think about. Good luck with your studies.

1. Your introduction mentioned Black Lives Matter and LGBT+, but these were not explained and were not returned to later on. There also seemed to be an assumption that these were both understood and accepted as positive. Whilst I personally agree with them, that doesn't mean that they are universally accepted. Indeed, here in the UK there was a sizeable minority of fans who booed the knee gesture prior to kick-offs.

2. Never use the word ‘mega’ in any academic setting unless you mean ‘to the power one million’ or unless your name is Rodney Trotter.

3. Take your line of questioning from the general to the specific. This will help your respondents to think through their ideas before hitting them with a series of specific questions. 

4. Your questions demanded yes/no answers where the reality is more nuanced. I felt I needed a third option: 'maybe', 'I don't know', 'it's more complicated than that'...

5. I did feel I was being led a little. It might be better to start with a neutral question around the desirability of politicising football or by asking why people are interested in the Tournament. I suspect that for the majority, one of the great things about a football tournament is precisely that they don't have to think about news, current affairs or war, they can just immerse themselves in the sporting occasion. 

6. There seemed to be conflation between the conflicts in Ukraine and Gaza, but I'm not convinced that they are the same or that everyone will see them as the same. It may be better to have a separate line of questions about football's response (if any) to both events.

7. I’m not sure what Habib Rahman has got to do with football. If there is a link, then I’d make it specific. If not, you might want to find an example of a footballer who has taken action as your exemplar. That's if there is one. If there isn't, you might want to question yourself why that is. 

• Options
    Questions aren't always black and white, so only giving yes or no options closes some doors. It's okay to be unsure about things.

You only have to look at politics in this country, the amount of floating voters is massive.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Questions aren't always black and white, so only giving yes or no options closes some doors. It's okay to be unsure about things.

You only have to look at politics in this country, the amount of floating voters is massive.
    That's why I thought it was a good questionnaire, because for each yes/no answer, the contributor is asked to qualify or expand on their answer
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    PopIcon said:

That's why I thought it was a good questionnaire, because for each yes/no answer, the contributor is asked to qualify or expand on their answer
    Yeah, credit where it's due. There was plenty of opportunity to explain your thinking.  

Jeez, you know it's a slow day in Charltonlifeland when we're discussing the undergraduate questionnaire of a person on the other side of the world. Still, I expect it's just the same over on Millwalllife.  
  • Options
    edited April 5
    Stig said:
    Chizz said:
    PopIcon said:

Yeah, credit where it's due. There was plenty of opportunity to explain your thinking.  

Jeez, you know it's a slow day in Charltonlifeland when we're discussing the undergraduate questionnaire of a person on the other side of the world. Still, I expect it's just the same over on Millwalllife.  
    Yup - they all helped little Tyler with his year 3 arithmetic test - not their fault he failed.
  • Options
    edited April 5
    Done.

Very thought provoking.

I agree with others that with Ukraine it is easier to be against Putin, whilst in Gaza you're either islamophobic or anti-semitic: it seems impossible to be humane.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Poor quality questionnaire.
    Like the assumption that the Euro’s are a mega sporting event with global significance.
    The questions are loaded with assumptions.
    I filled it in, but only as something to do.
    Sounds as if you’re at a loose end Seth
  • Options

Many thanks to those who have completed the survey. It is still live if anyone has a spare few minutes to share their thoughts. 

https://doit.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9zZmrJfShOSBDDw 
  • Options
    Last shout to see if anyone has a spare few minutes to help me out with this research project.